Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew something was shady when GTM posted thier findings and, didn't go into detail about the piston hitting the head. The way they made it appear was that the piston was about come apart from hitting and the loose piston clearance was abnormal.

I have a engine from todd, i checked out the shortblock at his house before it even had the heads on it. The way he puts the head gaskets on there is no error, they are put on over the headstuds then the head put on. My engine is set up loose and I loose a quart of oil every 3-5k miles. The car doesn't smoke and the catch can does not fill up, so im sure its on the cold starts until the pistons expand.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Ultimate_tune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
lol, your telling me what forum policy is and isn't

If you read the original thread you would know what was going on and most of your questions will be answered.
i dont have time to read the original thread, but i do know one thing.

that motor was tuend wrong maaaan.

look at the pistons color and any tuner will know what is wrong, but no one wana talk about it, i dunno why !!!

do u know why??
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this may be a heat related issue what EGT temps are too high and where should the temps be normally? (idle, cruise, and wot) Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
brief summary..

we build engine, customer installed, had some issues, we didn;t have much contact, i find out later still having iisues, customer drives to shop in cali. shop in cali and our business have been working together for some time.. shop in cali badmouths us and customer loses confidence in us, joining in on badmouthing..shop in cali takes apart moptor we built, says its all wrong, postes lists of issues publicly...
except.. you're not going to find a post on my behalf that would be considered badmouthing (at least by any reasonable standard) - I was very deliberate in my wording.

Originally Posted by rocks
I knew something was shady when GTM posted thier findings and, didn't go into detail about the piston hitting the head. The way they made it appear was that the piston was about come apart from hitting and the loose piston clearance was abnormal.
While not intentionally trying to further the discontent between each party, GTM has a considerable amount of additional information to share and was told they are preparing a rather lengthy and detailed rebuttal. As was explained to me, the information initially presented was broad in nature regarding the piston hitting the head because that is not a normal function of the motor, and was left to draw a conclusion that the motor was inherently faulty.

Spare any requests to further this statement, because I was asked to withhold addt'l information I have had available to allow GTM to respond accordingly. There is an outstanding request from DynoComp to provide initial dyno tune sheets that reflect the objective information at ~250 and ~500 mi. that should be reconciled tomorrow afternoon.

That said, Todd and I have laid out some options on the table and are considering each as appropriate, and I'm glad to say that we're able to communicate much more amicably at this point.

Last edited by JoeDirtPharmD; 08-30-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Cronus

As far as tuning egt's are really only relevant at WOT. anything more than 800 deg celcius is pushing it. Even that is pushing it. You will start warping heads and burning valves, making rings fail, etc and gernerally breaking things around 900 celcius.

By the way let me introduce myself. My Name is Jerry Stratton. I currently work at BuiltZmotors with Todd. I don't actually own a Z. But I do work on them, obviously.

I own an 87 Volkswagen GTI. Running ITB's, megasquirt engine management, and a built head. Not really relavant to this site, but I've decided that it'd be a good idea to get on here since I'm working with Todd and building VQ35's.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD

Spare any requests to further this statement, because I was asked to withhold addt'l information I have had available to allow GTM to respond accordingly. There is an outstanding request from DynoComp to provide initial dyno tune sheets that reflect the objective information at ~250 and ~500 mi. that should be reconciled tomorrow afternoon.

That said, Todd and I have laid out some options on the table and are considering each as appropriate, and I'm glad to say that we're able to communicate much more amicably at this point.
not trying to start more issues between us, but you had said some pretty harsh things in previous threads.. that being said, looking forward to GTM's lengthy rebuttal. At this point it is almost in vain, as they presented their side, and we presented ours, I'm guessing when they come up with their new "hidden info" that I'll have to spend yet more time debating back...
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
At this point it is almost in vain, as they presented their side, and we presented ours, I'm guessing when they come up with their new "hidden info" that I'll have to spend yet more time debating back...
*shrug*

I dunno - that's now a court of public opinion issue really; my focus is getting back on the road here shortly, and I appreciate your PMs in that regard.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

wow, when I read this thread at work I was not able to see the pictures do to most hosting sites being blocked by the military.

now that I am home and have been able to see this pictures all I can say is wow.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
denchan350gt

[QUOTE=Cronus]As far as tuning egt's are really only relevant at WOT. anything more than 800 deg celcius is pushing it. Even that is pushing it. You will start warping heads and burning valves, making rings fail, etc and gernerally breaking things around 900 celcius.

Thanks for the info I was wondering what my EGTs should be I have standard Arias pistons. I had one arias piston go due to detonation. What can or should be done to keep the temps down? Sorry to go OT.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Ultimate_tune

except.. you're not going to find a post on my behalf that would be considered badmouthing (at least by any reasonable standard) - I was very deliberate in my wording.

While not intentionally trying to further the discontent between each party, GTM has a considerable amount of additional information to share and was told they are preparing a rather lengthy and detailed rebuttal. As was explained to me, the information initially presented was broad in nature regarding the piston hitting the head because that is not a normal function of the motor, and was left to draw a conclusion that the motor was inherently faulty.

Todd is a professional engine builder, and he is the best in here.

i got my engine from him befor 5 months ago.

the work was done perfect, and now the car is runing nasty
and smooth. its super !!!!!

hey Todd, its me Ahmed
Attached Thumbnails BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED-abcd0004.jpg   BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED-abcd0005.jpg  
Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Ultimate_tune

hey Todd, its me Ahmed

Ahmed! Long time no talk, thanks for backing me up from halfway across the country!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:40 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

*shrug*

I dunno - that's now a court of public opinion issue really; my focus is getting back on the road here shortly, and I appreciate your PMs in that regard.

I'd like to have a picture of you, jumping like in air, like the old Toyota commercials, with car keys in hand, while I'm giving the thumbs up next to you ... translation: I want to see you back on the road too!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
AndrewMcG

Originally Posted by denchan350gt

Thanks for the info I was wondering what my EGTs should be I have standard Arias pistons. I had one arias piston go due to detonation. What can or should be done to keep the temps down? Sorry to go OT.
Make sure your air/fuel ratios are good, make sure your timing maps are good. A lean condition and/or too much timing or not enough timing will cause high egt's. I don't know if you are turbo or supercharged or not, but for the boosted people you need to have a really good intercooler and I would recommend water/methanol injection to keep cylinder temperatures down. An injection system will keep combustion temps lower than even intercooling. Its all about the tune.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Ultimate_tune

hey Todd, its me Ahmed
Wow, would you look at the filthy, dirty, sloppily put together motor

Haha
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm not trying to step on toes here, just trying to be objective, but on a brand new engine, you're not really supposed to go much beyond 4000 rpms and that's just stock NA. I'd assume with a high boost turbo, that's even more important to follow those rules. Why was the car even at the dyno before the engine was fully broken in? I can understand just making sure it's good up to 4000 rpms under part throttle, but is that what was going on? I'd be interested in seeing Dynocomp's dynos to see what rpm they were taking the car up to

So was Don really driving around a few times at 5000+ rpms during those first couple days after getting the engine in? Would that partially explain why Don wanted to avoid dealing with Todd first without having GTM to back him up after the damage was already done?

Last edited by sentry65; 08-30-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 PM
THE ROADSTER

Originally Posted by sentry65
I'm not trying to step on toes here, just trying to be objective, but on a brand new engine, you're not really supposed to go much beyond 4000 rpms and that's just stock NA. I'd assume with a high boost turbo, that's even more important to follow those rules. Why was the car even at the dyno before the engine was fully broken in? I can understand just making sure it's good up to 4000 rpms under part throttle, but is that what was going on here?

So was Don really going 5000+ rpms with the high boost turbo during those first 250-500 miles? Would that partially explain why Don wanted to avoid dealing with Todd first without having GTM to back him up after the damage was already done?
good point...but who did the install & tune before it got to GTM ?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well Don did the install

I was getting the impression that Dynocomp had the car on the dyno and really just couldn't do anything to tune it because it was already having problems. I have no idea the extent that the car was pushed on the dyno, but didn't they do something like 14-16 runs? Did they know so few miles were clocked on the engine? His turbo hits pretty damn hard, his old dyno was pushing like 530 tq or something, I have no idea how the wastegate was setup though with the built engine, but I'd think anything near his old tq numbers could damage something if only 250 miles were on the engine

I'm curious why it was even at dynocomp so soon and why it was doing WOT runs before the engine was ready in the first place?
Surely the engine wasn't ready to be beat on hard and tuned at just 250 miles? I don't get it

quotes from his thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/277180-poor-cylinder-compression-on-new-built-motor-what-to-do.html

Just been having a crazy run of issues here with this new motor.

Running a built block with APS ST w/ UniChip, RC 550cc inj. with Arias ED 9:1 and Eagle Rods; motor has about 300 mi. on it now.

When first installed, it was running well at idle and cruise, but very sloppy on the upper end (very rich). Stayed out of it until I had about 250mi. on the car and took it to DynoComp in Scottsdale.
Breaking in the engine with 0w30 regular oil. The first 20 mi. or so were mid-range driving with plenty of engine braking, varying the RPM loads and not exceeding about 5k rpms. At no time during the first 20 mi. did I romp on it enough to see an overtly rich condition. Between 20 - 50 mi. I jumped on it a bit but kept my foot out of the boost.

At 50mi. I did an oil change - same oil (0w30) and drove it more aggressively until I noticed it was bogging out at high RPMs and it was pig-rich. At 100mi. I took it for it's first tune.

I always thought you were supposed to put about 1000 miles on a brand new engine (on the road or some on a dyno), staying below 4000 rpms, not getting on the throttle hard and litterally be clueless how the state of upper rpms are running. After the 1000+ miles is over, then you take it to a dyno and then you start digging into the upper rpms and for the first time seeing how bad the tune is and making adjustments. To my knowledge, you don't just throw it on the dyno and redline it the first time out to see where you're at, you're supposed to creep up and tune bit by bit until it's safe enough to go to redline

anyway, not trying to start anything, I just don't understand why everything was so rushed

Last edited by sentry65; 08-30-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
350Z84

Good point sentry65.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Cronus
As far as tuning egt's are really only relevant at WOT. anything more than 800 deg celcius is pushing it. Even that is pushing it. You will start warping heads and burning valves, making rings fail, etc and gernerally breaking things around 900 celcius.

By the way let me introduce myself. My Name is Jerry Stratton. I currently work at BuiltZmotors with Todd. I don't actually own a Z. But I do work on them, obviously.

I own an 87 Volkswagen GTI. Running ITB's, megasquirt engine management, and a built head. Not really relavant to this site, but I've decided that it'd be a good idea to get on here since I'm working with Todd and building VQ35's.
Hey Gerald...not to step on you, but before I get flamed, EGT's are important to monitor at partial throttle as well, and CAN cuase damage at other times besides plain WOT.

But as Jerry was saying, things get hot, and things break
Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Ultimate_tune

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
good point...but who did the install & tune before it got to GTM ?

maybe the put for him what they call, ..... a base Map !!

those maps are wrong and not good for driving in a new motor.

the timing is wrong and it will cause misfire.
huh and they called it a base map !!!!

Quick Reply: BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED