Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger release date

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 05:32 PM
BlkStang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Yikes! Reading those reviews just about made me forget about this product! I was so up for it, now I am scared of it. Seems like the best that can be said is if you are lucky, it will be VERY loud and hold together but a majority of reviews spoke of bearings going out within weeks of install with no customer service.

Jeremy, are you sure you want to carry this product? If so, i think i will wait until others have it and confirm it is quiet and not blowing apart.

I am so sorry to read these bad reviews. Maybe the Greddy is going to be the best bet? I was hoping for a good alternative.
No matter what brand of SC you look at your are going to see good and bad reviews. Do a search in www.corral.net or www.stangnet.com under procharger or even just post in there. In the Corral, go to the Supercharger forum and read up in there.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I read the reviews in corral, seems like most people have leaking problems with their ATI procharger within 2000 miles. Most of these people are not using their stang as a daily driver. The more I read, the less I think the ATI is a dependable option. Several people keep saying there are neagative and positive reviews on everytype of FI product but it seems to be over 50% of people are having problems. Again, this is not good IMHO.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 AM
joeshow750

Ah Zland, hahaha,
I know you were pretty pumped about this kit. I remember a Stillen post when you said, wait for the ATI kit, "All positives, no negatives." That's when I thought, "hmmm, he's right." Then I started researching .
Old 05-22-2003, 04:51 AM
BlkStang

Originally posted by zland
I read the reviews in corral, seems like most people have leaking problems with their ATI procharger within 2000 miles. Most of these people are not using their stang as a daily driver. The more I read, the less I think the ATI is a dependable option. Several people keep saying there are neagative and positive reviews on everytype of FI product but it seems to be over 50% of people are having problems. Again, this is not good IMHO.

Jeff
I have heard of leaking problems on the P1SC head units. The least problematic SC is going to be a roots or twin screw type setup. Thats why the manufactures offer them on there cars. How many cars do you see come from the factory with centrifugal SC'es? NONE. They are easier to maintain and don't require a oil source being self contained. The ProCharger is the only self contained centrifugal SC out unless you count the belt driven Powerdyne. My friend has a Kenne Bell SC on his Mustang and it is 100% reliable and I've never heard anything bad about them. You guys should get together and email Kenne Bell or Whipple Industries for a SC for your car. That would be killer! Instant boost and reliability that is VERY hard to beat.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:57 AM
BlkStang

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I'm just telling my personal experiense with Procharger. it doesn't mean that its is gonna be the same with the Z.
I can tell you one thing.... The pistons of the Z are much stronger that the LT1 (Camaro SS) and I can say that is not gonna be any problem running w 8-9 PSI in the Z, as long that you have a good 2 or 3 core front intercooler and a good volume of Gas.
Exactly true. Most guys that have a problem run crap gas or don't back off on the timing. Run good gas and 8-9 psi is no problem. The intercooler helps alot also. Boost doesn't blow engines...detonation does! With a good supply of fuel and proper octane gas...it should be fine. Detonation and running lean are the 2 problems that have to be watched. You can blow a headgasket or worse running 4lbs of boost if you don't do it right.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:50 AM
350zdanny

I'm just telling my personal experiense with Procharger. it doesn't mean that its is gonna be the same with the Z.
That's exactly what I'm pointing out. It probably won't be as bad as some say, and we can't expect it to be as good as your experience with it.

With a good supply of fuel and proper octane gas...it should be fine.
You're absolutely right, with good gas it'll be fine. Unfortunately we use crappy gas in the United States. Furthermore, I don't expect a huge intercooler from a kit that some people are expecting to retail for under $4000.

Boost doesn't blow engines...detonation does!
And I'm well aware that boost isn't the direct cause of engine failure. However, higher boost does put octane, a/f ratio, timing, and internals under closer scrutiny, meaning that the car must be more finely tuned. In many cases, it isn't. Granted 0.5 bar of boost is not earth shattering, and the VQ internals may be strong, but a good deal of tuning should still be done to ensure there is no detonation. Some people may not do this. They will experience problems with the kit, and they will complain.

What I don't understand is why ATI would want this type of business? I think they should dial down the boost, make it a true bolt on application, and leave the potential to turn up the boost. I think the same amount of people or more would jump on the kit.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:31 AM
DrCold

Originally posted by BlkStang
I have heard of leaking problems on the P1SC head units. The least problematic SC is going to be a roots or twin screw type setup. Thats why the manufactures offer them on there cars. How many cars do you see come from the factory with centrifugal SC'es? NONE. They are easier to maintain and don't require a oil source being self contained. The ProCharger is the only self contained centrifugal SC out unless you count the belt driven Powerdyne. My friend has a Kenne Bell SC on his Mustang and it is 100% reliable and I've never heard anything bad about them. You guys should get together and email Kenne Bell or Whipple Industries for a SC for your car. That would be killer! Instant boost and reliability that is VERY hard to beat.
I had a Kenne Bell Twin Screw on my '01 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L engine. If KB makes a kit for the Z (which i doubt), i'd be all over that like there's no tomorrow. But I think few domestic brands are going to be touching the Z. Even though the potential is there. I like ATI, and from talking with people that own ATI kits on dakotas, they seem to have a good thing going. I'm not going to rule them out untill i see the product first hand. Same goes for the turbo kits out there. I'm not going to draw any conclusions untill after i see the kits. But as it stands, i think i want to go ATI. But then again, i put the supercharger on my truck 3 months after i bought the truck. If i blow the engine up, its just an excuse to build a better one.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:46 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have money to do it right the first time but not enough to rebuild it and learn as I go. Whatever I do, it will be dependable or I will not do it.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Monkey Man

I love my Z, and it is my baby... so I'm not going to put something on it that I think will harm it. I will of course be installing safety devices for worst cases scenarios. The kit will run somewhere near 9psi, and can later be upgraded to run closer to 15psi.

The kit comes with an intercooler, so temps can be kept down. I will also be installing a J & S safeguard to detect any knock, and adjust the timing accordingly. This is what alot of other high CR guys run on their setups to prevent detonation problems.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

I think the power/cost factor of this kit will make it an instant hit, and as long as you have it installed by a competent shop, there should be no problems. The kits are warrantied, so Procharger is willing to stand behind their product just like companies such as Greddy will. Personally, I think I would be stupid to pay twice the price for less power. (I'm talking about buying a turbo kit for twice the price, which will make less power.)

We will all learn alot this summer I am sure, so lets all be patient and continue to support one another in our endeavours.

-Jeremy
Old 05-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by Monkey Man
The kits are warrantied, so Procharger is willing to stand behind their product just like companies such as Greddy will.
Actually according to recents posts concerning contact with people at Greddy, they will NOT warranty the turbo kit citing not being able to control boost output as the reason. That doesn't make me feel to confident.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:47 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Zaphod 350z
Actually according to recents posts concerning contact with people at Greddy, they will NOT warranty the turbo kit citing not being able to control boost output as the reason. That doesn't make me feel to confident.

That's too bad because it seems as if Greddy is a much more reputable company but if they don't stand behind their product that eliminates that notion.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:42 AM
350zdanny

Yes I heard Greddy does not offer a warranty for their turbochargers. I guess you can't blame them for the policy since most people, including myself if i get the kit, will be turning up the boost almost immediately. And if they sold a kit with a warranty I'm sure they'd package it with an intercooler and at least a boost controller to make sure it was safer at double the boost. They'd also charge 10 grand for it Also, they would probably require that all installation and service be done by a licensed distributor/tuner.

That said, I think it affords an owner a little peace of mind to have a warranty, and I think that will earn the Procharger kit alot of business. I would feel better about it if their customer service was better, but waiting 3 months to get your rebuilt blower is still much better than buying another one. Regardless of my past comments, if the kit is the same price as the Honda kits (or even close), I would consider it. That is alot of bang for the buck. And you could still reinforce the internals for less than the Greddy kit.

If everything is delivered as promised by both companies, it may be a tougher choice than I originally thought. In any case, good luck to you and your car, Jeremy.

Danny
Old 05-23-2003, 10:30 AM
JoeAE2005

Does anyone know if the ATI Procharger SC kit will require any hood modifications?

-Joe
Old 05-23-2003, 10:38 AM
350zdanny

I doubt that they would require hood modification. They advertise their kits as bolt-on as far as I can tell. I'm just taking a guess on this one though.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Del350

They told me that the sc will reside where the factory airbox is.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:53 PM
350zdanny

This is what I envisioned. This is the Stillen supercharger kit. Retails for around 4K. Does anyone know how they would put it in the place of the factory airbox? It's belt driven.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger release date-stillen.jpg  
Old 05-23-2003, 01:24 PM
DrCold

The ATI Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger. The Stillen is a twin screw (i think), it is a positive displacement supercharger. One of the main diferences between them, is the Stillen sits behind the throttle body, and the ATI sits in front.

Yes that was a really crappy explination. But its friday, and my brain has already shut off for the weekend.

-DrCold
Old 05-23-2003, 03:11 PM
350zdanny

Thanks for the info. I'm not too familiar with superchargers to be honest. So basically it's going to look more like a Vortech kit than a Stillen kit? Am I correct in saying that?
Attached Thumbnails Procharger release date-vortech.jpg  
Old 05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
DrCold

Yep, it'll be just like that.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

if anyone have time to explain, what is the difference between supercharger before tb and after tb? like benifits or flaws.. thanks.

Quick Reply: Procharger release date