Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS or TURBONETICS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Oleg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
notice i said "safe" #s

thats why i was saying about OP stating goals... i mean most popel if they blow a block are not going to dump another 15k intoa build engine... they could jsut spend 4k on used engine abd put it back in the road...
I am not dissagreein with you really..its just up toe verybodys goals... remember less than 1% actually do build their block...so having the extra potential means nothin to most =]
I see. In that case I do stand corrected, I was under an impression that most people who blow their motors build up their blocks...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
notice i said "safe" #s

thats why i was saying about OP stating goals... i mean most popel if they blow a block are not going to dump another 15k intoa build engine...
15 grand?

heck I have about 6 into mine including machining and assembly - which includes cams I might add

Building a forged motor doesn't really cost anymore than building an OEM spec motor
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just that it has been so long since I purchased my kit that I don't keep up with the news on prices and available options.

If the TN kit was a $1,000 cheaper (and you had access to 93+ octane but that is only a side-issue) then I would side witht he TN kit.

However, if the APS kit was only a few hundred dollars in price from the TN kit, then I would go witht he APS kit.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
its the same single tn kit that keeps getting sold from member to member. It only lasts about a month on each car before its back on the classifieds. <<< lol, just a joke, not 100% true. Check the FI classifieds, its flooded with TN kits.

I wouldn't say it's "flooded" with turbonetics kits. If you take into effect the popularity of the kit and it's current limitations, it's easy to see why as a lot end up going with twin turbo setups. I attribute that to the fact that people don't really know what they're getting into when they buy into a turbo setup, trust me, I get AIM msgs and PMs asking questions constantly from people who know VERY little about FI and the Z kits in general who've made choices on kits without studying the facts. I first ask people their ultimate power goals and budget. Believe it or not a large amount of the time I tell people it would be best for their goals to buy a TT setup.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-425/

If you read down through there, you'll see almost every kit represented. Now, take a look at the FI list at the top of this forum. It's quite proportionate if you ask me.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Zilvia

why is this thread still alive..........
Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zilvia
why is this thread still alive..........

Because you just bumped it..

Just let it die.. slow..
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Because you just bumped it..

Just let it die.. slow..
I am teh ambulance! Thread heal!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

WE sell APS TT kit $8999 installed..FTW..
Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 AM
synth19

Zivman, which cams did you go with? I may as well get cams when my new GTM motor arrives?

Originally Posted by Zivman
15 grand?

heck I have about 6 into mine including machining and assembly - which includes cams I might add

Building a forged motor doesn't really cost anymore than building an OEM spec motor
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard from Vendors that it is hard to get replacement parts for the APS single Turbo Setup. Were the TN Kit are very well backed up by the manufacturer. Also I like the TN Kit because you actally see the Turbo. Nice display if you ask me. Were the APS is hidden away underneath the car.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 AM
synth19

LOL, let's get a turbo kit for the "nice display." APS parts are not hard to get as long as you get them from a direct distributer like GRD for example.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
I've heard from Vendors that it is hard to get replacement parts for the APS single Turbo Setup. Were the TN Kit are very well backed up by the manufacturer. Also I like the TN Kit because you actally see the Turbo. Nice display if you ask me. Were the APS is hidden away underneath the car.
Most likely you got this information from a loyal TN shop?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Most likely you got this information from a loyal TN shop?

julian you know aps customer service is crap...

even a big aps supporter like joedirtpharm with his aps kit has had trouble getting through their customer service

the tt kits are nice though... =]

but more htan likely...if someone has them installed at yoru shop they will probably never have to worry about it since the car leaves with all the parts + proper install/tune

the headache would be more for you

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-12-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
that "nice display" is the downfall of the kit. Inherently flawed, but hey, you get to see the turbo
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
taurran

that "nice display" is the downfall of the kit. Inherently flawed, but hey, you get to see the turbo
Go tell that to Injected Performance and Power Labs.

It's funny because the same could be said for the APS turbo location.

edit- Also, tell that to everyone that owns a supra, dsm, evo, sti, etc etc etc that owns a factory turbocharged car with a turbo mounted in the engine bay...

Last edited by taurran; 09-12-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^
+2 on the edit

Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by taurran
Go tell that to Injected Performance and Power Labs.

It's funny because the same could be said for the APS turbo location.

edit- Also, tell that to everyone that owns a supra, dsm, evo, sti, etc etc etc that owns a factory turbocharged car with a turbo mounted in the engine bay...
The supra, dsm, evos that you are referencing are not even comparable to the TN Z33 application. inline motors and boxer motors are not comparable to the V6 of our cars.

Mounting the turbo as TN does forces the charge pipe off the intercooler to become intimate with the turbo charger as it makes its way to the motor.

in the end, if you want to run the kit, more power to you, hope it works out for ya.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
taurran

The supra, dsm, evos that you are referencing are not even comparable to the TN Z33 application. inline motors and boxer motors are not comparable to the V6 of our cars.

Mounting the turbo as TN does forces the charge pipe off the intercooler to become intimate with the turbo charger as it makes its way to the motor.

in the end, if you want to run the kit, more power to you, hope it works out for ya.
They are VERY comparable. You're referincing two systems and the heat they produce, not the routing of the piping. Everything in an engine bay is hot. This goes for the turbo, the coolant lines, the block, the intake manifold, etc. If you have the factory turbo shield that comes with the turbo kit, or a turbo blanket like myself, the charge pipe gets no hotter than it would otherwise.

In fact, on my setup, the intake charge pipe receives more heat from the block itself and the samco coolant lines that run in close proximity with it.

Any half-intelligent person can install this kit and make it totally heat efficient. You're assuming that no one in this forum knows how to use header wrap, how to install a turbo blanket, or shield AC and oil lines.

In the end, I believe your argument about "heat" on the intake pipe is weak at best.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
taurran

Anyway, I'm not going to continue to argue the point. We've rehashed this 50x on these forums.

I think you all can tell who owns what kit, and who sells them. You can also see who is prone to pointing fingers and making assumptions.

If you really want to see which kit is for you, just do a search and read reviews of people that actually own and drive them, not somoene arguing for a brand name.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All in all, at the velocity that the air is moving, does the heat from the engine bay really play that big of a role in performance?

I would possibly think so if you were racing professionally but for most of us, I think this whole heat deal is a non-factor.

Its not like the air is moving through all of these tubes and pipes at a snail's pace. It doesn't have time to sit there and get heated-up before going into the intake.

Edited for punctuation.

Last edited by Blu_Blur; 09-12-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: APS or TURBONETICS