Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech problems..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Big Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. Seems like metal got in there some how. But when I spin it it sounds like grinding gears in the back by the cog pulleys. I was wondering how you got yours rebuilt before and what it costs?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a bad bearing.

I know that sounds odd but hear me out because I rebuild blown superchargers all the time and I see this quite often.

I have seen a number of instances where the bearing goes out, making the shaft have play, starts to chew the impeller up and makes it "chatter" due to the high speeds. This will ocassionally chip the impeller tips (may actually be the tips breaking and the center section hits the fragments at speed chipping the center section).

It just seems that this is the typical outcome of a bearing that goes out somehow.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Quamen

This is just a question but what are the four grooves that run along the minor blades?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quamen
It looks like a bad bearing.

I know that sounds odd but hear me out because I rebuild blown superchargers all the time and I see this quite often.

I have seen a number of instances where the bearing goes out, making the shaft have play, starts to chew the impeller up and makes it "chatter" due to the high speeds. This will ocassionally chip the impeller tips (may actually be the tips breaking and the center section hits the fragments at speed chipping the center section).

It just seems that this is the typical outcome of a bearing that goes out somehow.
This is a good explination of what happened . Didnt think of it .
Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

bad bearings is what caused my impeller to rub the housing, glad it didnt escalate to that kind of carnage.

I hope for your sake that the metal chunks are at the bottom of the ic/pipes or exited the bov. Id hate to see them try to flow thru the engine.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:52 PM
iRide350z

Ya tell me about it....I plan on looking through the I/c pipes 2maro. I just had the bearings and seals replaced by vortech back in like april and it was around $400 plus shipping. I dont understand how the bearings could have gone bad again in 6 months but its sounding like that is what happened.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM
iRide350z

Thanks booger for the info i'll take care of all that 2maro also.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Quamen

Deleted. Misread your post.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
iRide350z

Idk if this makes a diff but I noticed the side walls of the blower started getting chewed up. The scratches aren't real deep but its def. rough to the touch. Im starting to have worries that it may be beyond repair....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Well, looks like your the next victim. Several of the recent vortech buyers have had the bearings fail, me included. I started a thread about it. Seems like the kits from the summer time had bad bearings. What you have there looks like a more severe case of what i had. My bearings failed and scratched up the housing. Call vortech and ask if they warranty their repair work, they should.

From what im told, they use SKF bearings which are lower quality then other available brands.

GL in getting it remedied, hopefully theyll side with you and fix it for free. If not, mention the fact that there have been a ton of bearing failures lately in this blower.

They better hope my bearings dont go out again! i will not be happy.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Quamen

Does anybody by chance have the bad bearings laying around they would be willing to send to me?

Obviously if you send the scroll to Vortech they are going to sell you a new one. Some scrolls can refinished decently by hand in a small amount of time but if you don't feel comfortable doing this you should purschase a new one or get it under warranty if possible.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
iRide350z

How long do they normally warranty their repair work? Also, do you know if they keep everything on record, b/c my receipt is with my parents in AL right now
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Quamen

They should keep everything on record but I am going to guess that their repair work is warrantied against defective workmanship and since you had in your car for 6 months you may not be able to get it replaced.

The main issue is that there are so many variables. There are so many things that can shock the bearing or cause failure that when it comes down to it is hard to put fault on someone let alone one specific thing that caused it.

I could be completely wrong however.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
iRide350z

Well i'll be calling them tomorrow i'll let you guys know what they say.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by Quamen
Does anybody by chance have the bad bearings laying around they would be willing to send to me?

ive got 2 bearings out of the jackshaft assembly. One seemed to be bad(the lube was oozing out) and the other is fine. I have no real need for them.

Let me know if you need them.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
iRide350z

I got my car running today w/o the vortech but while I was looking through the pipe b/w the s/c and i/c I found these pieces (minus the quarter)

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily the intercooler blocked these from getting to the engine!!

I called up Vortech today and they said it was march when I sent it in last time and that they have a 6month warranty on repairs. They said they would prob. cover me anyways but we'll see...I plan on shipping it out tomorrow or so.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by iRide350z
I got my car running today w/o the vortech but while I was looking through the pipe b/w the s/c and i/c I found these pieces (minus the quarter)

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily the intercooler blocked these from getting to the engine!!

I called up Vortech today and they said it was march when I sent it in last time and that they have a 6month warranty on repairs. They said they would prob. cover me anyways but we'll see...I plan on shipping it out tomorrow or so.
what the hell is that?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Biochem7
what the hell is that?
those are the fins off of the impeller... notice they are missing on both the first pic posted and the one posted previous to this one... there are only two full fins and one half fin left on the impeller out of nine that should be there...

Last edited by stormcrow; 10-23-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Forged
those are the fins off of the impeller... notice they are missing on both the first pic posted and the one posted previous to this one... there are only two full fins and one half fin left on the impeller out of nine that should be there...
I will have nightmares about this and pray that this does not happen to my Vortech
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I am really surprised how many wrong people in this thread.

Nothing got sucked into his intake. Most likely the shaft that holds the blades came loose enough to where it was hitting the inside of the wall of the SC. So it started to tear up the SC. This has happened on a few Vortech cars.

Quick Reply: Vortech problems..