Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech problems..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^
That can be caused by bearing failure. He stated that the bolt for the impeller was not loose but the shaft was which would be bearing failure as I have stated.

He states this in post 7.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I am really surprised how many wrong people in this thread.

Nothing got sucked into his intake. Most likely the shaft that holds the blades came loose enough to where it was hitting the inside of the wall of the SC. So it started to tear up the SC. This has happened on a few Vortech cars.
Im getting really tired of you. You go around trying to act like you know something, when you dont know jack. Please leave this thread alone now. I dont care if i get a temp ban for calling you out. I, as well as others have seen the crap you spread through the forums. Dont make me go get the list.

We were going on assumptions that something entered the sc inlet to cause that kind of destruction. Once we found out it had a filter and then got a better picture of the housing we concluded the actual cause.

It was most likely, 99.9% ,due to bearing failure. Looks at the tips of the blades, they look just like mine that were rubbing the housing. My guess is that the sc blades rubbed enough to cause the blades to destruct. Such a catastrophic failure might have been caused by the op reving the sc high or the age of the sc blades themselves.

You are wrong yourself.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing was wrong little man about what I posted. It was the actual cause after studying what was causing the failures and his was exactly the cause I said it was. Not something entering his intake.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

you were claiming the shaft came loose and the turbine blade was trying to expel itself from the housing. Its not a blown motor btw, its a failed unit.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
you were claiming the shaft came loose and the turbine blade was trying to expel itself from the housing. Its not a blown motor btw, its a failed unit.
What do you think happens when bearings fail?!! The Shaft itself has play when this happens which caused the blades to impact the housing. Again nothing wrong with what I said.

Wow
Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What do you think happens when bearings fail?!! The Shaft itself has play when this happens which caused the blades to impact the housing. Again nothing wrong with what I said.

Wow
here is your original statement if you feel like arguing with yourself

Really? Show me these statistics then. I got my info straight from the owner of Nissan Sport Magazine. I know a ton of people with Stillen's, that are reliable. And I have never ever heard of any blown motors with Stillens that were installed properly.
your first claim was about motors.. not units.. there you go.. now tell yourself why you were wrong
Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Wow

explain the play to me..........and dont go searching it. I already know the answer. Give me the physics explanation.......draw me a picture......just dont waffle on it.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subbin in,

i'm ready to see someone get pwned
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Wow, bunch of idiots on this forum. Go to engineering school and learn the way things work. You might learn something.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, bunch of idiots on this forum. Go to engineering school and learn the way things work. You might learn something.
go to school and learn how to prove a point
Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
dixieland

curious for the OP,

prior to the complete breakdown of the blower when you had to have it towed, did you ever have any chattering noise from the blower?

I too have a Vortech blower on my Z and like many others have indicated before there is definately some rattling noises with the blower. Debate as to whether this is "normal" on a Vortech blower or not aside - did you ever have any warning this was happening or did you feel that it was an instantaneous failure of the blower?

thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Nothing was wrong little man about what I posted. It was the actual cause after studying what was causing the failures and his was exactly the cause I said it was. Not something entering his intake.

you work for the media? You seem to like to requote stuff to get an alternate meaning out of what someone said. In this case, you requoted yourself to say it wasnt something that entered the intake that caused the failure. Yes, i agree with that. You quoted yourself to make it seem like you had the right answer. We concluded a while back that it wasnt anything that entered the intake. You forgot to quote your wrong part of the answer where you started to insist that the nut came loose and the turbine blade was moving longitudinally and hitting the housing in a 1 dimension movement. I claim that is a false assumption.

The shaft is supported by the bearings. The bearings maintain the shafts rotational movement, not longitude. The Shaft is secured by a bolt/nut on the inside that keeps the shaft from expelling itself out of the housing. Once the bearings failed, the rotational motion of the shaft took on an elliptical motion as opposed to a circular motion. The elliptical motion causes the blades ( which already had tight tolerances) to come in contact with the housing. If left long enough, the blades could destruct just like the ops.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I never said anything about a nut coming loose. Someone else did. Go re-read that again.

Ahh thank you for repeating what I said about the shaft and bearings again.

you work for the media? You seem to like to requote stuff to get an alternate meaning out of what someone said. In this case, you requoted yourself to say it wasnt something that entered the intake that caused the failure. Yes, i agree with that. You quoted yourself to make it seem like you had the right answer. We concluded a while back that it wasnt anything that entered the intake. You forgot to quote your wrong part of the answer where you started to insist that the nut came loose and the turbine blade was moving longitudinally and hitting the housing in a 1 dimension movement. I claim that is a false assumption.

The shaft is supported by the bearings. The bearings maintain the shafts rotational movement, not longitude. The Shaft is secured by a bolt/nut on the inside that keeps the shaft from expelling itself out of the housing. Once the bearings failed, the rotational motion of the shaft took on an elliptical motion as opposed to a circular motion. The elliptical motion causes the blades ( which already had tight tolerances) to come in contact with the housing. If left long enough, the blades could destruct just like the ops.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

how about you draw the Free body diagram of a bearing? Describe the play in the shaft with some arrows...........be clear in your assertion and stop trying to act like you know what youre talking about.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

CU, I wasn't wrong until proven guilty. You are posting after the fact when I already posted what it was and you are now trying to correct yourself. lol.

Hilarious.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

I never said anything about a nut coming loose. Someone else did. Go re-read that again.

Ahh thank you for repeating what I said about the shaft and bearings again.

go read post 42 of this thread where i quoted you. You said the shaft came loose. As in it had translational movement through the bearing supports. The shaft was still secure in the bearing, there was not the loose movement you speak of.

YOUVE HAVE NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT THE BEARINGS/SHAFT IN RELATION TO WHAT I SAID.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

go read post 42 of this thread where i quoted you. You said the shaft came loose. As in it had translational movement through the bearing supports. The shaft was still secure in the bearing, there was not the loose movement you speak of.

YOUVE HAVE NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT THE BEARINGS/SHAFT IN RELATION TO WHAT I SAID.

Your ASSUMING that. I said it came loose. I never said it came loose outward or wobbling.

What happens when a bearing goes bad on a wheel of a car. The wheel starts to wobble more. Same goes for the shaft. With it's tight tolerances it will hit the edges.

Your the one inserting words or assumptions TRYING to make me sound wrong when I was never wrong, in fact YOU WERE.

I am done arguing with you. You have no clue wtf your talking about in this subject and you have a lot to learn.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

You get half credit at best.

One could also say:

-the boogie man didnt do it
-it wasnt a failed injector
-wasnt the vtec

all of those are correct.......but they dont identify the actual cause. Knowing what wasnt the cause is great, but fails in comparison to knowing the actual cause.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

I am done arguing with you. You have no clue wtf your talking about in this subject and you have a lot to learn.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
realdealg35

Quamen said:

"It looks like a bad bearing.

I know that sounds odd but hear me out because I rebuild blown superchargers all the time and I see this quite often.

I have seen a number of instances where the bearing goes out, making the shaft have play, starts to chew the impeller up and makes it "chatter" due to the high speeds. This will ocassionally chip the impeller tips (may actually be the tips breaking and the center section hits the fragments at speed chipping the center section).

It just seems that this is the typical outcome of a bearing that goes out somehow."

That's when the mystery was solved. Anything after that is "Thanks, Captain Obvious - that's already been figured out."

/argument

Quick Reply: Vortech problems..