Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aps Extreme Vs Aps Tt

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have run the aps standard tt setup for a while now. On 18psi with a 96 octane/ methanol injection tune, I made 570rwhp and 615tq... on some C16, I'd be able to run lots more timing and make a bit more I'm sure

The turbos spool so quickly, and make more than enough power for the street... I drive on a low boost setting of 13psi, which I assume makes high 400's (never dynoed at low boost)- and this is plenty for daily driving-- losing traction in 4th gear on high boost is a bit scary for everyday use

oh, this is on an unsleeved bottom end, 1/2" head studs, hks headgaskets, cams, and jwt valvesprings- besides that completely stock heads...also, that's with slightly larger oil clearances on the mains and rods, running strong!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
all real turbos have lag...
Amen to that
Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 PM
gecof1

I have the short block. Nothing done on head.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 AM
ShamrockG
Banned

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
all real turbos have lag...
Hahaha.... Maybe, but lag sucks for usable power on the street or roadcoures.

IMO, turbo lag =
Old 10-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gecof1
I have the short block. Nothing done on head.
I would highly suggest a set of cams. it is going to be tough to make it to 600 without them
Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
SaadSindhu

One way to go about it is just pull out your complete APS tt kit. Sell it, and buy the extreme kit which will come with all the fueling and small gaskets etc. that you will need. Since you already have a built motor, it will be nice. The power delivery of the extreme kit is SICK, i dont know why everyone is saying its laggy..i had a gsx with a gt35r, that was laggy. My buddy has a turbo s2k and that is laggy. ****...the evo's are laggy. NOT the extreme kit, man that **** gets up and goes. ANyways, i was saying...I sold my tt kit complete for 6 grand, an ASP fuel system will cost 1500 bucks. The extreme kit is 9 grand, or was when i got it. At the end of the day swwapping over to the extreme kit cost me 1500 bucks plus cost of upgraded clutch, (went with exedy twin disc D-core and it slips after 5k rpm so i would suggest going with maybe a tripple disc, and they are cheaper too), also for my ems i switched over to the HKS F-con which is also kinda pricey.

Im not sure how reliability will be affected when tuning the APS TT kit to that sort of power levels. I had a TT kit on my car for about a year but with stock internals, last year i sold that and put in the extreme kit once my motor was built/sleeved, etc. At 11 psi my base TT kit made mid 400's whp. Just tuned my car a few weeks ago, on 93 octane it made 640 whp at 15 psi.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
KempieZ

I have a standard aps tt kit and had everything changed to the extreme kit except the turbo's. The standard turbos spool much faster and I am aiming for 700 hp on the block, which is more than enough for a street car. ( but I do have cosworth heads) i hope the turbos will last at those power levels. I read they can handle 800 so I dont think there is any problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
SaadSindhu

^Not sure about turbos but from my experience comepanies always project very optimistic levels of performance for their products. According to Exedy a twin carbon clutch will hold up to 800 lbs of torque and mine wont hold more than 600whp, once it hits 600 its starts slipping.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:35 AM
KempieZ

Yes, i realize that. I definately wont go over the 700 mark but I have my doubts with those power levels. From what I have heard and seen, anything above 650hp on the block is almost lost. No traction and no joy to drive.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by KempieZ
Yes, i realize that. I definately wont go over the 700 mark but I have my doubts with those power levels. From what I have heard and seen, anything above 650hp on the block is almost lost. No traction and no joy to drive.
The homie I bought my APS TT from knew BigBri; he said Brian would smoke EVERYTHING on the streets but the car could NEVER hook up for the life of it, and that it wasn't as enjoyable as his APS TT with 430whp.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
SaadSindhu

Traction definitely will become an issue, again it depends on ur use for the car. I know Brian as well, and have see his car in action on the highway tons of times. It is SICK and his ability to manhandle his car is unbelievable. In lower gears it would suck, but once all the small glitches are worked out i find getting traction on the highway in 3rd and higher gears is very doable in the mid 600 whp range. And dont get me wrong, when you get on it in 1st or 2nd and the car just lets loose, shoot...it dont matter if your going anywhere or not. The car screams and you hear the vacuuming of those nice size snails, i enjoy letting it kick out in 1st and 2nd sometimes. But it does get annoying when a sti or something else thats close to stock is tryina race me out of a dig and i cant get traction.

APS EXTREME kit IMHO is strictly for high end.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devil Z
The homie I bought my APS TT from knew BigBri; he said Brian would smoke EVERYTHING on the streets but the car could NEVER hook up for the life of it, and that it wasn't as enjoyable as his APS TT with 430whp.
I pretty much agree. even At 500whp, there's no traction til 40mph. you never know when the other guys even racing you, cuz when it's over, you teleport about, 2 star trek voyager lengths on him. there's none of the 'gradual pull' high you get from a lower powered car.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:17 AM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Zivman
I would highly suggest a set of cams. it is going to be tough to make it to 600 without them
Any suggestions on maker? I am pretty much confused.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gecof1
Any suggestions on maker? I am pretty much confused.
a lot of decent cams out there.

I am running the GTM stage 1 FI cams. I have heard mixed reviews of them, but my tuner thought they were decent and that they made power. GTM now has a stage 2 cam set for FI. I saw some decent results from brian crower cams on the boards. Other wise, there is the old stand by C2 JWT cams.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by Zivman
+1 with the amount of money you would have to spend on upgrading to the extreme setup a set of cams would help alot in reaching your goal and be cheaper
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Jonny Boy

One advantage to the extremem kit is the power is much more linear and come on very smooth. As with the smaller turbo's the power comes on a lot sooner and very hard and can almost become violent when accelerating. Although I do not have turbo's yet, , many of my friends do. only one of which has the extreme kit, and all others are greddy tt. I will be getting the extreme kit or the jwt 850 kit. With the larger turbo's the car seems to drive like a normal 350z when not in boost. Personally I like the smooth power delivery of the larger turbos.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
One advantage to the extremem kit is the power is much more linear and come on very smooth. As with the smaller turbo's the power comes on a lot sooner and very hard and can almost become violent when accelerating. Although I do not have turbo's yet, , many of my friends do. only one of which has the extreme kit, and all others are greddy tt. I will be getting the extreme kit or the jwt 850 kit. With the larger turbo's the car seems to drive like a normal 350z when not in boost. Personally I like the smooth power delivery of the larger turbos.
totally the opposite.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
DanielW
Banned

yeah it seems like the bigger turbos would come on harsher because they lag and then BAM
Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
SaadSindhu

The power delivery does come on smooth with the extreme kit.

Quick Reply: Aps Extreme Vs Aps Tt