Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aps Extreme Vs Aps Tt

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
gecof1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aps Extreme Vs Aps Tt

Well most probably this is already mentioned before, but I want to know what it takes to upgrade our APS TT Kit to include the larger Turbos of Extreme Kit. Are the manifolds/Turbos/Wastegate combination going to do the job? What is going to be pricewise? I am happy with my IC/UTEC and AAM fuel return system.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gecof1
Well most probably this is already mentioned before, but I want to know what it takes to upgrade our APS TT Kit to include the larger Turbos of Extreme Kit. Are the manifolds/Turbos/Wastegate combination going to do the job? What is going to be pricewise? I am happy with my IC/UTEC and AAM fuel return system.
basically you need the manifolds, turbos and dump pipes to do the conversion. I would think it would be at least 3-4 grand. I don't think your utec or fuel return will be enough to sustain the bigger turbos - at least not if you push them beyond what the base TT setup will do. And at that point, you may want to get the bigger FMIC... which I would think would make it most feasable to buy the entire kit new vs buying individual components

the base TT will do 600+whp, you really need/want more than that? And if so, like I stated, you will want to run a better EMS and fuel system
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
DanielW
Banned

+1 there's plenty of power to be had with the standard aps TT kit and it will spool faster than the extreme kit too.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Zivman
basically you need the manifolds, turbos and dump pipes to do the conversion. I would think it would be at least 3-4 grand. I don't think your utec or fuel return will be enough to sustain the bigger turbos - at least not if you push them beyond what the base TT setup will do. And at that point, you may want to get the bigger FMIC... which I would think would make it most feasable to buy the entire kit new vs buying individual components

the base TT will do 600+whp, you really need/want more than that? And if so, like I stated, you will want to run a better EMS and fuel system
Now I am at 403WHP on 9PSI. I am planning to go up to 14PSI and stop there. Our TT setup I believe that will not be sufficient. I am thinking about it though
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Zivman

Now I am at 403WHP on 9PSI. I am planning to go up to 14PSI and stop there. Our TT setup I believe that will not be sufficient. I am thinking about it though
Are you serious? 14 psi is no sweat for the APS base turbos.

heck I am running 15 psi right now and held back from going any further because it makes plenty of power. I think the turbos start loosing efficiency when you get up to 18-20 psi. at 14 psi you are right in the sweet spot for those turbos. You have a great combo of power and quick spool. IMHO you would be foolish to consider the extreme kit for 14 psi
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM
gecof1

Originally Posted by DanielW
+1 there's plenty of power to be had with the standard aps TT kit and it will spool faster than the extreme kit too.
Yes U R Right, though I believe the boost will last longer, and Turbos will be inside their working peak envelopes.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Devil Z

Yes U R Right, though I believe the boost will last longer, and Turbos will be inside their working peak envelopes.
Huh? Come again?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Huh? Come again?
I mean that up to 18PSI our Turbos max out. Around 16PSI they are at edge of their working envelope. Bigger turbos will ofcourse have bigger lag, but their peak performance will be around this value, producing easier the requested boost. Lets dont forget that 8-9PSI are the value that APS matched for
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Devil Z

Yeah do you really wanna push 20psi on a street car . . . . .
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Yeah do you really wanna push 20psi on a street car . . . . .
No my target is 600WHP. That's why I am asking. I am confused with all theese dynos and figures coming up from time to time in the forum. Anyways, I will max out my setup, to see where I am, and then I will decide.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Devil Z

I rode in a 560whp Greddy TT car . . . . . it scared the **** out of me.

Our Turbos have less lag and can get up to 600whp like Ziv said. I don't think you will like the response of the Extreme's turbos.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
DanielW
Banned

you should just try a 16psi tune and see what you make. Do you have headwork or cams? I'm sure that you could hit 600 whp on a DJ with cams and headwork
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Zivman

No my target is 600WHP. That's why I am asking. I am confused with all theese dynos and figures coming up from time to time in the forum. Anyways, I will max out my setup, to see where I am, and then I will decide.
I think you will find that it won't be worth the cost to move up to the extreme kit for 600 hp.

With an aggressive set of cams, a big exhaust, and head studs and gaskets strong enough to keep your heads from lifting, and 17-18 psi you will have no problem hitting 600 on your kit. That said, you are probably getting towards the limits of your fuel system, and I would DEFINITELY recommend an EMS with a much higher resolution than the utec.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Stay with the regular kit for that power, maybe just upgrade the fuel system to a real return system and bigger injectors.

The APS Extreme is too laggy.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all real turbos have lag...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I actually missed the down low TQ of my APS standard kit.The extreme pulls really hard after 5k but it takes a while to spool up, and just does not have the same drivability i was used to with the standard kit. Not saying the extreme kit is not great, but it just feels totaly different.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I actually missed the down low TQ of my APS standard kit.The extreme pulls really hard after 5k but it takes a while to spool up, and just does not have the same drivability i was used to with the standard kit. Not saying the extreme kit is not great, but it just feels totaly different.
+1
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

+2
Dont have the extreme kit, but have about the same size turbos as the APS extreme.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
gecof1

Well guys, Thanks alot,

I will stick with our set-up.

Yes I do have a fuel return system installed from AAM.

I have a fully built motor, with changed gaskets and studs.

The exhaust Pipes are changed to the true dual APS set-up 3".

I will max out the car to see where I can go and I will take it from there.

Thanks

George
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 AM
DanielW
Banned

so when you say fully built do you mean longblock or shortblock?

Quick Reply: Aps Extreme Vs Aps Tt