Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit 400-420whp on DD and then when retuned with the Fcon did about 455-477 on a dynojet
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
I hit 400-420whp on DD and then when retuned with the Fcon did about 455-477 on a dynojet
Looks like the fcon didnt gain you any whp...but Im sure it runs smoother
Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helldorado
Pretty much as you stated it. If you take Julians example, you car would make around 400 whp on his DD dyno, if you made 460 on a Dynojet. If you made 460 on his dyno, you'd be making 500+ on a Dynojet.

Ultimately, you need to talk to your tuner / dyno operator to keep it all in sync for you're vehicle rather than worry about numbers you're seeing from other people / dynos.
I agree with your numbers....because that is the same difference I got between the two Dyno's
Old 10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
coachk
Banned

I would speculate that DynoJet would say their numbers are accurate and DynoDynamics would say their numbers are accurate.I don't know. But when it comes to stock rods possibly snapping at 450whp, a dyno could make all the difference. I'm sure most of you know JT tunes my car and I have all the confidence in the world in him, and he tunes my car for drag racing not for dyno numbers. I'm a risk taker and want to push the stock motor to its limits
so I guess 500whp is the magic number for a DJ....I guess I need a bigger shot.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booger
Looks like the fcon didnt gain you any whp...but Im sure it runs smoother
I didn't expect to gain much power and that's not why I bought the Fcon. However my previous tunes where it hit 400-420whp DD it wasn't really running right up top because of my inconsistent fuel pressure issue I had at the time so the whp wasn't consistent. Now it is, and smoother
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by booger
Ok...I didnt read his post .

Whats strange is where peak whp is between the two . The DD's peak whp looks to be 5,400rpm and the DJ looks to be at 6,200rpm

I wanted to ask Julian if every comparo you have done between your DD and a DJ comes out to be close to 13% difference ? Or have there been others that are + or - more than that ?
THANKS !!!!!
As Sharif said, the Dyno Jet is an inertia based dyno. Meaning your spinning the weight of the rollers.This makes for a less accurate power band IMHO.
From the comparos we have done, 13% is right on par for the VQ. We see the peak HP to be around 6000rpms on our cars.Where as the Dyno jet can be a bit misleading when taken itno account for the redline and power band.Which IMHO sums up to being less accurate.
Just take a look at how smooth the DD curves tend to be.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 10-29-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

pretty awesome thread this is good to know
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by coachk
I would speculate that DynoJet would say their numbers are accurate and DynoDynamics would say their numbers are accurate.I don't know. But when it comes to stock rods possibly snapping at 450whp, a dyno could make all the difference. I'm sure most of you know JT tunes my car and I have all the confidence in the world in him, and he tunes my car for drag racing not for dyno numbers. I'm a risk taker and want to push the stock motor to its limits
There is no Magic HP number to look for when tuning or when looking at limits of components. For anyone to say the stock motor will handle XXX amount of power is simply speculation. The stock motor can and does handle some pretty good HP numbers on average,however every motor,car,tune,driving conditions are different and play a vital role in determining the max hp in ones potential.
Every different car makes different power and should be approached as such. The tuner should be able to detirmine a safe tune he feels comfortable with on each single car.
Im not 100% sure what the answer is to the question your trying to ask,or for that matter what your question is at this point.But I hope we explained as best as possible.
But to clarify, in general a 400hp car on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno, will make approximately 13% more power when put on a Dyno Jet Dyno. So a 400hp DD car will be faster than a 400hp DJ car. This is the point I am trying to make in this thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
zoni19

there has been alot question about dyno #'s lately its good to see the comparison between DD and DJ GOOD THREAD!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 AM
TENGAI

Great match up with the dynos MRC ... Also +1 on WTF is up with the dude's AFR??? Sh!tty tune IMO.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 AM
ForcefedZ

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
+1 on that..
Do you know what the difference is if you compare uncorrected DJ numbers to uncorrected DD numbers? Also approximately how much rwhp does it take (uncorrected DD) numbers to trap 132mph in a full weight 350Z? This seems to be a popular discussion on this forum.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:51 AM
UnderPressure

Deja' Vu???
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....cussion+thread

DD always encouraged shops to do a test similar to this to gauge how far corected their local DJ's are. The variance in power reading on DJ's is quite a bit. So by testing against the locals you're able to inform the customers of the variation. Allowing them to make an apples to apples comparision.

Last edited by UnderPressure; 10-30-2007 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM
XKR

Thumbs up

But to clarify, in general a 400hp car on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno, will make approximately 13% more power when put on a Dyno Jet Dyno. So a 400hp DD car will be faster than a 400hp DJ car. This is the point I am trying to make in this thread.
Julian...thanks for posting this, this really helps.

Someone posted over 600rwhp on a Dyno Max (the dyno where you have to remove the rear wheels, I think thats what its called) with a setup that would NOT get you 500rwhp on the DD. I did not know much about the DynoMax, so I asked for info......and some Moron (not the OP) acted like it was an insult for me to ask.

Thanks again Julian.....well needed info.

Edit*.....I stand corrected...Dyno Pack....thanks again !!

Last edited by XKR; 10-30-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
Do you know what the difference is if you compare uncorrected DJ numbers to uncorrected DD numbers? Also approximately how much rwhp does it take (uncorrected DD) numbers to trap 132mph in a full weight 350Z? This seems to be a popular discussion on this forum.
What do you mean when you say "uncorrected" Dyno Jet Numbers? Are you reffering to standard sealevel corrections?
As far as trap speed, I can tell you 525DD whp will trap you 128 from personal experience. So im assuming 590-600dd would trap 132.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
Julian...thanks for posting this, this really helps.

Someone posted over 600rwhp on a Dyno Max (the dyno where you have to remove the rear wheels, I think thats what its called) with a setup that would NOT get you 500rwhp on the DD. I did not know much about the DynoMax, so I asked for info......and some Moron (not the OP) acted like it was an insult for me to ask.

Thanks again Julian.....well needed info.
Dyna Pack? Those are actually really good fro tuning since they also are a true load based dyno. Thier numbers tend to be a bit high in most shops.I have seen a few that are right on par. There was one in XX tuning in CT that was dead on with a DJ, and I believe Turbo XS has one thats dead on,if not a bit lower..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
ForcefedZ

What do you mean when you say "uncorrected" Dyno Jet Numbers? Are you reffering to standard sealevel corrections?
As far as trap speed, I can tell you 525DD whp will trap you 128 from personal experience. So im assuming 590-600dd would trap 132.
On the DJ you can select SAE, DIN, EEC, STD, JIS, or uncorrected. The uncorrected numbers are "uncorrected"

I was just wondering if the uncorrected DJ numbers matched the DD numbers. It seems like they are pretty close, my car did 600rwhp (uncorrected DJ) and trapped 132.

I guess it doesn't matter. I was just wondering since I have a DJ, and most of the tuners on this board have a DD.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Great match up with the dynos MRC ... Also +1 on WTF is up with the dude's AFR??? Sh!tty tune IMO.

+1

bottomline for many years dynojet #s have been industry standard, and will continue to be...so PROPS to julian for taking time to find out what correction % works best for his DD and FOR POSTING IT.

to worry about which power represents it the most its BS since what matters is the greatness of the tune......which can be achived on a a DD a DJ or a DP.

Id suggest to other DD owners that want to use a correction to figure it out themselves what correction works best for them...and to let us know...
13% is not going to work for everybody just because of this.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

<------- Dyno newbie

If the DJ reads 10% more than the DD (or vice versa) which Dyno gives you the correct number?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
<------- Dyno newbie

If the DJ reads 10% more than the DD (or vice versa) which Dyno gives you the correct number?

well dynojet has been the industry standard for years and years. there are absolutely no way of changing the corrections. it is what it is on a dynojet.

no values that are needed to be added in that you can "cheat" a little bit with the numbers on.(ex cars weight) you just strap it down and do a pull...

you dont ever see mcdonalds trying to compare their sandwiches to burger kings do ya...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coachk
That's the spirit coach!

Quick Reply: Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..