Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..

We had a customer who wanted a Dyno Comparison to his dyno he got done over at another shop. The customer had a TN single turbo installed and made 344 whp and 349 TQ on the shops dyno.He felt it was a little low and wanted to see on a different dyno what his car would make.
I explained to him that our dyno makes lowr hp numbers than the shops Dyno Jet and he would be dissapointed to see our numbers. I then informed him we were able to employ a Dyno Jet correction to "simulate" what he might see on a dyno jet. We have done this in the past and it has proven to be within a few HP of our local dyno jet.He was cool with that, so we continued.

He gaved me is dyno to look over, it showed 344whp and 349 TQ as shown here:

We proceeded to make 2 pulls on our Dyno Dynamics Dyno with ZERO correction other than Atmospheric temperature corrections. The result.
305whp and about 325 TQ uncorrected. as shown below:

Now we proceeded to add our 1.13 or 13% correction to simulate the dyno jet number he had.The result, almost DEAD ON the Dyno Jet he had with 345whp and 350TQ. This shows that when we employ a correction to our dyno, it is almost DEAD ON with that of 2 different dyno jets.

Now just for fun,and for comparitive purposes at the customers request, to see where we stood with our power output wise, we compared the customers original uncorrected DD numbers with that of a car we just finished up with a built motor at 14psi straight DD numbers.The results are pretty astonishing...

Bottom line Our Dyno Dynamics dyno correction, when employed is DEAD on with that of other shops. 95% of the time however when we post numbers up,it is uncorrected DD numbers without the simulation as in the last above dyno chart. So you can see for comparitive purposes, that if a car is making 350whp on a DJ, its only really making 305 on our dyno. And if a car on our dyno makes 400hp its really making around 460. This just goes to show you, if someone says they make X amount, they really may be making more or less than they say.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 10-30-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
This just goes to show you, if someone says they make X amount, they really may be making more or less than they say.
Great comparo, and very consistent with what our customers see, when testing their cars on a DynoJet instead of our Dyno Dynamics. Stock Z's and G's dyno about 210whp on our dyno.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: One last note. Since a DJ has heavy interia behind it, notice that the power drop offs are more extreme on the load based DD, vs. the interia based DJ. Another reason that DJ charts tend to show less power drop-off.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Edit: One last note. Since a DJ has heavy interia behind it, notice that the power drop offs are more extreme on the load based DD, vs. the interia based DJ. Another reason that DJ charts tend to show less power drop-off.
+1 on that..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
John

You've been hanging around Will too long...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM
chris'smax

Good Stuff!

Hopefully i will have another comparison for us in a couple of weeks. I am in Mississippi right now on buisness but when i go home one weekend i will stop by a Dyno-Jet at a shop that is right down the street from my house. This dyno doesn't read high either.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
coachk
Banned

Heres my question then....I am right at what I BELIEVE to be the max whp of my stock motor and APS TT..460whp on a dyno jet. So on a DD it would be lower. If what I believe is true about my max whp(based on a DJ) and I dynoed it on a DD the numbers would be lower and then I tried for more whp based on the DD am I pushing it to far.

This post is not to start an argument or a flame fest, I just don't know which dynos would be correct for MY situation
Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
booger

Question for you. WHy does the DynoJet carry the whp to 6500rpm and the DD dyno drop off so much towards 6500rpm ?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats in an automatic also , just to add...

the real question is this, why does the car dip into the high 9s AFR on the dynojet graph??

also, how come no Dynojet owners offer DynoDynamic corrections??
Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
John

Originally Posted by booger
Question for you. WHy does the DynoJet carry the whp to 6500rpm and the DD dyno drop off so much towards 6500rpm ?
Probably because the person operating the vehicle didn't want to bounce off the rev limiter and they knew the car wasn't going to generate any more power at that point.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^subscribing....
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem

the real question is this, why does the car dip into the high 9s AFR on the dynojet graph??

+1 , what the hell is up w/ his AFR. A little undsteady ehhh?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by booger
I believe Sharif answered that in his first post.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Because people would rather see a higher number....even if the car makes exact the same power on both dynos.

I don't like to estimate dyno corrections, so I just go with the flow of the dyno.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

thats in an automatic also , just to add...
Whats an auto? The customers car?No it was a 6mt.

Thats what the stock TN tune did on his dyno, on my AF it was about 11.0 flat dipping into the 10s with a 8.5 psi peak to about a solid 8psi across.

They dont want to cry when they see their "real" power output.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
coachk
Banned

Can anyone answer my question. If its going to cause a big dyno debate, then I understand and don't want to hijack Julians thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
helldorado

Originally Posted by coachk
Heres my question then....I am right at what I BELIEVE to be the max whp of my stock motor and APS TT..460whp on a dyno jet. So on a DD it would be lower. If what I believe is true about my max whp(based on a DJ) and I dynoed it on a DD the numbers would be lower and then I tried for more whp based on the DD am I pushing it to far.

This post is not to start an argument or a flame fest, I just don't know which dynos would be correct for MY situation
Pretty much as you stated it. If you take Julians example, you car would make around 400 whp on his DD dyno, if you made 460 on a Dynojet. If you made 460 on his dyno, you'd be making 500+ on a Dynojet.

Ultimately, you need to talk to your tuner / dyno operator to keep it all in sync for you're vehicle rather than worry about numbers you're seeing from other people / dynos.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
coachk
Banned

There has always been a difference in what people believe a stock motor can handle(whp) and I guess we'll never know since dynos read differently. I guess thats what I was really asking. It would be a shame to have some Joe Shmoe tuner(not Jeremy,Julian or Sharif) say that I heard the stock motor can handle 450 whp an when he dynos it,it reads 400 and he says I can get 50 more whp and the motor goes Boom.

Sorry about my posts being off topic, it just seems that for future FI guys they might want to have an idea about the differences in dynos

Last edited by coachk; 10-29-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM
theking

That is why whoever tunes the car needs to be a "subject matter expert" on that particular engine!!!!
There has always been a difference in what people believe a stock motor can handle(whp) and I guess we'll never know since dynos read differently. I guess thats what I was really asking. It would be a shame to have some Joe Shmoe tuner(not Jeremy,Julian or Sharif) say that I heard the stock motor can handle 450 whp an when he dynos it,it reads 400 and he says I can get 50 more whp and the motor goes Boom.

Sorry about my posts being off topic, it just seems that for future FI guys they might want to have an idea about the differences in dynos
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

You are on the right track. For us, at least, I consider 400whp on the DD to be the max safe limit for a daily driver, where the owner doesnt want to rebuild a broken engine unexpectedly. That would equate to "about" 450whp on a Dyno Jet.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
booger

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I believe Sharif answered that in his first post.
Ok...I didnt read his post .

Whats strange is where peak whp is between the two . The DD's peak whp looks to be 5,400rpm and the DJ looks to be at 6,200rpm

I wanted to ask Julian if every comparo you have done between your DD and a DJ comes out to be close to 13% difference ? Or have there been others that are + or - more than that ?
THANKS !!!!!

Quick Reply: Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..