Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Dyna Pack? Those are actually really good fro tuning since they also are a true load based dyno. Thier numbers tend to be a bit high in most shops.I have seen a few that are right on par. There was one in XX tuning in CT that was dead on with a DJ, and I believe Turbo XS has one thats dead on,if not a bit lower..
The only thing I dislike about the dynapack is they don't have a spark lead to read the engine rpms. I don't know if the newer models incorporate that, but the older ones didn't. It calculates engine rpm based on the hub speed. Not a issue with a manual transmission, but with an automatic, you need to start the pull above the stall speed or you get some wierd readings at the start of the pull. Its not uncommon to get some odd torque flutter at the beginning of the end of the pull even if you start above flash speed.

That said, I just like the units because they don't require a permanent installation and the fact they do read from the hub makes them very accurate in repeated runs. So I used a dynapack for my baseline and I go back for all my repeated runs so I can track my cars torque curve. I don't care if they read low or high relative to other dynos, I go just so I can get repeatable, accurate measurements of the net change in torque through my power band.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's one thing that I don't understand.

If DynoJet is the industry standard... and it unquestionably produces the numbers that the would wants to compare/boast about... Why do several of the smartest builder/tuners use DynoDynamics dynos that everyone hates? Are DD's cheaper than DJ's?

It seems simple to me... use the dyno that produces the highest, most respected figures... So, there is obviously something that I/we are missing...

What is it?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

so heres a question that person who is making 497 they are really making like 550 on a DJ?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb

If DynoJet is the industry standard... and it unquestionably produces the numbers that the would wants to compare/boast about... Why do several of the smartest builder/tuners use DynoDynamics dynos that everyone hates? Are DD's cheaper than DJ's?

It seems simple to me... use the dyno that produces the highest, most respected figures... So, there is obviously something that I/we are missing...

What is it?

you are worrying to much ... dynojest have been industry std for a while for a reason... dynodynamics have some nice tools that help tuners get the right tune easier...that said, DJ tuners compensate that in other ways to get the tune right as well...

bottom line line they are both tools... and it doesn't matter what dyno a tuner uses for you to pick them to build your car... its about how good the tune is really... for power comparisons that different but thats it...

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
well dynojet has been the industry standard for years and years. there are absolutely no way of changing the corrections. it is what it is on a dynojet.

no values that are needed to be added in that you can "cheat" a little bit with the numbers on.(ex cars weight) you just strap it down and do a pull...

you dont ever see mcdonalds trying to compare their sandwiches to burger kings do ya...

+1 and to avoid confusiong on location, weather..correction used... thats why you want a lot of poeple on supra forums post DJ uncorrected #s

Originally Posted by r0mey
so heres a question that person who is making 497 they are really making like 550 on a DJ?

i know...so weacksauce....lol... the person probably overkilled his setup too

[but at night he shows his true powers]

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-30-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

If DynoJet is the industry standard... and it unquestionably produces the numbers that the would wants to compare/boast about... Why do several of the smartest builder/tuners use DynoDynamics dynos that everyone hates?
The DD in my opinion is a better tool to tune vehicles on.It makes for a faster more efficient load based tune.It makes tunning hard to get to load points in the mapping, easier to correct.
Are DD's cheaper than DJ's?
The DD's are about the same price, if not more expensive than the DJ.

It seems simple to me... use the dyno that produces the highest, most respected figures...
if your looking for high hp numbers and WOT(wide open throttel) tune, then yes.You need to be on an "industry standard" Dyno Jet. If your looking for modest HP numbers and a more accurate tune and dyno graph, then you need to be on a Dyno Dynamics.To each their own..

So, there is obviously something that I/we are missing...

What is it?
Some people want the big HP number shown on paper..Others want the flexibility and tunability the Dyno Dynamics delivers.
If you look at most Dyno Jet dynos, youll see cars making power to 6700 rpms, now if you look at any DD dyno graph on the same car, its power will fall off alot sooner.Proof being on the first page of this thread with the same car comparison.
The reason is that on the "inertia" type roller dyno,it is doing exactly what its name emplies..Carrying its inertia until the operator applies the brake. On a Dyno Jet your spinning a several thousand Lbd. Roller,thus giving you a little "momentum" as you reach the upper RPM range.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
On the DJ you can select SAE, DIN, EEC, STD, JIS, or uncorrected. The uncorrected numbers are "uncorrected"

I was just wondering if the uncorrected DJ numbers matched the DD numbers. It seems like they are pretty close, my car did 600rwhp (uncorrected DJ) and trapped 132.

I guess it doesn't matter. I was just wondering since I have a DJ, and most of the tuners on this board have a DD.

Thanks for your input.
All the correction applies for is atmospheric conditions. If you give me an uncorrected DJ car's dyno and then we shut off our Atmospheric correction also, your car will still read lower on our dyno. Its all relevant.
The big thing on the atmospheric correction is the BAROMETER, slight pressure changes in the atmosphere make pretty good differences in the dyno numbers.
If you made 600 on a DJ you woul make 13% lower on a DD dyno, no matter what.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

you dont ever see mcdonalds trying to compare their sandwiches to burger kings do ya...
Hell no, because we all know Burger King is better..Dont debate me, Im an expert on BK.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by r0mey
that sounds about right to me..Considering both dynos are in the same atmospheric regions.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell no, because we all know Burger King is better..Dont debate me, Im an expert on BK.
great answer!!!

haha
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 AM
SH Luciano

so, for example, if a car made 430hp on a Dynapack @ 11psi...it's numbers on either DD or DJ could be completely different depending on the correction factors entered in the DP? I was under the impression that DP locked out the operators ability to adjust those factors.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by SH Luciano
so, for example, if a car made 430hp on a Dynapack @ 11psi...it's numbers on either DD or DJ could be completely different depending on the correction factors entered in the DP? I was under the impression that DP locked out the operators ability to adjust those factors.
Im not 100% familiar with the DP, however they are very easy to manipuate.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
ForcefedZ

All the correction applies for is atmospheric conditions. If you give me an uncorrected DJ car's dyno and then we shut off our Atmospheric correction also, your car will still read lower on our dyno. Its all relevant.
The big thing on the atmospheric correction is the BAROMETER, slight pressure changes in the atmosphere make pretty good differences in the dyno numbers.
If you made 600 on a DJ you woul make 13% lower on a DD dyno, no matter what.
So 522rwhp on a DD will trap 132mph in a full weight Z?

When you select "uncorrected" on the DJ their is no correction added at all. The numbers that it gives you is the actual RWHP it took to accelerate the roller at that given rate. There is nothing you can do to change it, Altitude and temperature are not variable taken to compute the HP.

Last edited by Mike Wazowski; 06-20-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me tell you that owning a dynojet, the uncorrected numbers will flucuate A LOT, depending on the weather and humidity. i always flip through the different corrections to see the difference.

you have to see the exact figures that STD and SAE are adjusted to. the closer you are to those numbers, the closer uncorrected will be.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

So 522rwhp on a DD will trap 132mph in a full weight Z?

When you select "uncorrected" on the DJ their is no correction added at all. The numbers that it gives you is the actual RWHP it took to accelerate the roller at that given rate. There is nothing you can do to change it, Altitude and temperature are not variable taken to compute the HP.
No.. 525 on a DD will trap 128 in a 3560lb Z with driver.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
ForcefedZ

let me tell you that owning a dynojet, the uncorrected numbers will flucuate A LOT, depending on the weather and humidity. i always flip through the different corrections to see the difference.

you have to see the exact figures that STD and SAE are adjusted to. the closer you are to those numbers, the closer uncorrected will be.

I agree that I see a big difference on my DJ with different weather condition when viewing in uncorrected. That should be expected hence the "correction" option to try to standardize the readings for different conditions.

I just don't think that it's really accurate to use hypothetical percentages to compare reading from one dyno to another. Even the readings from a DJ 248 to a DJ 224 will be different.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 AM
ForcefedZ

No.. 525 on a DD will trap 128 in a 3560lb Z with driver.
I was using your 13% less conversion applied to my DJ 600RWHP that trapped 132mph (600X.87=522)

It would be interesting to see what I would "actually" dyno on a DD to compare the numbers.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I was using your 13% less conversion applied to my DJ 600RWHP that trapped 132mph (600X.87=522)

It would be interesting to see what I would "actually" dyno on a DD to compare the numbers.
So come on down....
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by XKR
Julian...thanks for posting this, this really helps.

Someone posted over 600rwhp on a Dyno Max (the dyno where you have to remove the rear wheels, I think thats what its called) with a setup that would NOT get you 500rwhp on the DD. I did not know much about the DynoMax, so I asked for info......and some Moron (not the OP) acted like it was an insult for me to ask.

Thanks again Julian.....well needed info.

Edit*.....I stand corrected...Dyno Pack....thanks again !!

That was my car, i think. So, are you saying that 18psi greddy twins with cams wouldnt get you 500whp on a DD? not trying to be a smart*ss, just asking a question. anyway, i'll be heading to a local dynojet tomorrow to compare the dynapack numbers as compared to a dynojet. After that, i might even throw down on a dyno dynamics just to complete the trilogy . i'll post up when i get back.

Last edited by Bullitproof; 10-30-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM
ForcefedZ

So come on down....
My uncorrected DJ says that NJ would be "up" from MD.

I'm sure you also being a shop owner know that it can be nearly impossible to get away from the shop. I am curious what the numbers would be. Maybe you can bring your dyno down here?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM
jpc350z

Bottom line:

What dyno tuning machine will offer an advantage to a car in crossing the finish line in the least amount of time?

Quick Reply: Dyno Dynamics to Dyno Jet comparison..