Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Well... time to get external wastegates..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well... time to get external wastegates..

Well, just got back from the tuner, and we verified that my internal wastegates are ****ed up. We preloaded them both properly like APS suggests, and took my boost controller out of the equation, but they are opening prematurely and the boost curve is like a supercharger curve.

So, instead of buying new forged wastegates for 200 a pop, im just going to go the external wastegate route and stop wasting time. The question is this:

Where do I even get external wastegates for an APS tuner kit? I have the flanges welded into my exhaust manifolds, but I cant seem to find them for sale on the APS site. Would they be the same ones as on the extreme kit? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks a lot guys,
Aaron
Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM
jining

ps. Looks like i need the same ones as on the extreme kit.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTM ftw, drive down with me to get your car fixed properly. I think you're gonna have neverending issues . . . .
Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 PM
jining

unless GTM has external wastegates from the APS extreme kit on hand, me going down there is not going to help me out, as my only issue at the moment is with my internal wastegates.

As of now, I dont really have any other issues.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Devil Z

Cross your fingers dude.

I still have yet to see your car in person . . . . . after all these months.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
jining

Yea I want to meet you guys, seems like im working everytime theres a meet. Im hoping APS will sell me the wastegates seperately.. I emailed them.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM
brickyardgreg

the aps extreme runs tial wastegates i believe. many vendors stock them they are the 38mm's i believe.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jining
Well, just got back from the tuner, and we verified that my internal wastegates are ****ed up. We preloaded them both properly like APS suggests, and took my boost controller out of the equation, but they are opening prematurely and the boost curve is like a supercharger curve.

So, instead of buying new forged wastegates for 200 a pop, im just going to go the external wastegate route and stop wasting time. The question is this:

Where do I even get external wastegates for an APS tuner kit? I have the flanges welded into my exhaust manifolds, but I cant seem to find them for sale on the APS site. Would they be the same ones as on the extreme kit? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks a lot guys,
Aaron
Sorry for all your troubles, but you have no idea what is involved in a swap like you are considering. You will be better off removing your kit and going with a greddy or APS xtreme. You will need to get a set of new manifolds, external wastegates (which in themselves will be more expensive than the forge actuators), have the turbo wastegates welded shut (which is a specialized weld because they are cast), then get a set of the 3.5" pipes and intermediary piping from the wastegates to the downpipes.

If you get a set of forge actuators you will resolve the issue.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
jining

Hmm well I just noticed that the extreme kit wastegates are recirculating into the 3.5" downpipes, so I would basically have to buy new downpipes and replace my 2.5" downpipes.....

I want to just run open dumps so maybe I can just have some pipes made for me off the manifolds?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
jining

Originally Posted by Zivman
Sorry for all your troubles, but you have no idea what is involved in a swap like you are considering. You will be better off removing your kit and going with a greddy or APS xtreme. You will need to get a set of new manifolds, external wastegates (which in themselves will be more expensive than the forge actuators), have the turbo wastegates welded shut (which is a specialized weld because they are cast), then get a set of the 3.5" pipes and intermediary piping from the wastegates to the downpipes.

If you get a set of forge actuators you will resolve the issue.
I have the tuner kit which includes the extreme kit manifolds. Getting the internal wastegates welded shut shouldnt be a problem.

In order to install the forged actuators I would have to remove my turbos anyway. Almost as much trouble as just going external, just cheaper.

Last edited by jining; 11-01-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM
jining

Or actually from looking at the picture, I could keep my 2.5" downpipes, and just not bolt the wastegate pipe to my downpipes (since I cant without the 3.5" ones) and have open dump. Correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by jining; 11-01-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by jining
Or actually from looking at the picture, I could keep my 2.5" downpipes, and just not bolt the wastegate pipe to my downpipes (since I cant without the 3.5" ones) and have open dump. Correct me if im wrong.
your manifolds have a port for external wastegates? According to the pics and descriptions on the APS site, your manifolds are the same as their base kit and do not have ports for external gates

With external wastegates you could use either the 3.5" or your current setup if you are running an open dump.

IMHO, you are going overboard resolving your problem

Last edited by Zivman; 11-01-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Devil Z

I didn't know the Tuner kit came with the Extreme manifolds? O.o

Also they have a port for external manifolds? WTF?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

If your manifolds have the EW ports, it might work out. Why don't you just weld bungs on the 2.5" TPs? APS 3.5" TPs are b##ch to find.. I had to call around several place to barely get hold of one. Maybe GRD just got new shipments..

Anyway, pair of EWs and all the fabrications will be $$$.. Just buys a pair of forge actuator and you'll be fine. Numerous 550+whp cars with built motor and APS TTs use forge actuator, and they hold 14+psi just fine.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 PM
jining

My tuner kit is the old tuner kit, which included the EW ports, same as the extreme. Im just going to rotate the wastegates 180 and dump to atmosphere.

Im talking with peter from APS to get me the Extreme wastegate pipes, and ill buy the tial 38mm wastegates elsewhere.

Should be only a little more expensive then buying the forge actuators. Basically the cost of the pipes from aps, since the actuators and wastegates both cost the same pretty much, and the cost of welding my wastegates closed.

Last edited by jining; 11-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
jining

Originally Posted by brickyardgreg
the aps extreme runs tial wastegates i believe. many vendors stock them they are the 38mm's i believe.
Thanks for the info, can anyone else verify they are 38mm's?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
westpak
SFZCC

all APS TT kits started coming with the dual purpose manifolds about a year ago or so, they have the port for the wastegate with a plate bolted to cover it.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 AM
TENGAI

Aren't the APS turbos externally divorced? I know that they have an "internal" wastegate, but the exhaust flow is divorced externally and dumped by way of the collector pipe IIRC... Am I wrong? If not, upgrading to an external setup on the tuner kit should be fairly straight forward. But as mentioned, the forge actuators should also do the trick with very little effort.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats going to be more work than you think. the Forge actuators are not expensive at all. i am actually located right next to them here in orlando and they always take care of me.

you can get a set of actuators for way less than your wastegates alone are going to cost you.

i think you really need to get your car down to someone who is experienced with this car.

the APS actuators always build more boost like a supercharger, thats why most of their graphs look linear.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem

i think you really need to get your car down to someone who is experienced with this car.
I think this is the problem. who was the shop that looked over your install??

I am sorry, I think your install was messed up, never really resolved by the shop you took it to.... then you install your boost controller, which again, I think you messed up. Now you want to convert to EWG???? I think you haven't learned your lesson. Should have had the kit installed by an APS shop or at least a reputable Z shop and you would be up and running without issue. You want to wrench on your car, I can respect that..... At what point do you draw the line?

Quick Reply: Well... time to get external wastegates..