Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger SC pic on the Z!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 01:24 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be using the ATI Procharger on my Z very shortly as well and will be glad to keep everyone informed on how things work out for me. I have read all the reviews and comments. Supercharging is somewhat new to me. I may own a shop but I am putting turbos on everything. I plan to TT the Z, but for now the SC is readily available and I am willing to give it a shot for a while.

One thing that we have noticed is a lot of complaints from ATI Procharger customers. It seems to me that the people who have the product LOVE the power it makes... but hate the issues that arrise. I would naturally assume that those who are not complaining are the type of guy like me who works on their cars left and right and fixes something before it has a chance to go wrong. If you know what I mean... I am saying those who are not complaining of problems are either A: mechanics who can fix these issues themselves and dont care to complain cause its easy for them, or B: lucked out and had no problem.

Mods like this unfortunatly are generally tuner mods that require checking on all the time. This is not factory Nissan stuff. Any type of forced induction setup is really lacking in HARDCORE R&D if its still using the old school fuel pressure rising system. While tried and true... to hardcore tuners its considered a tad "ghetto". When I get my Procharger here I plan on going my own way with the fuel system.

One thing that we can also hope for is that ATI is aware of customer complaints and the strict quality control that really does need to go into these products these days... especially when we are talking about brand new complicated cars and not muscle cars. Perhaps the extra cost in this 350z kit is spent in the extra R&D they spent making the kit more reliable then some of their other kits?

The means of digital fuel injection control for boost correction via methods of extending injector pulse width is really out of the realm for most FI kit manufacturers. So I will not sit around and complain about the old tech fuel system. Rather what I plan to do is work out my own fuel system.

For those of you not familiar with the ways of tricking a NA car to running correct air/fuel ratios under boost.. I will explain breifly just so that I can contribute a little info. For those of you tuners or pros bear with me here... I just want to make sure the guys new to this know whats going on.

99& of NA cars engine management systems have no idea what boost is. They have a MAP "Manifold Air Pressure" sensor that detects vacuum-boost in the intake manifold. If this sensor sees a voltage response that equals greater pressure than atmosphere (boost), the ECU will simply say "WTF" and give a check engine light and usually retard the timing and sometimes even cut fuel. Only the ECUs engineer can tell you exactly what the ECU they programmed is doing.

Some cars like Hondas use only a MAP sensor and an AIT (Air Intake Temp) sensor to measure incoming air. This is called a Speed Density Fuel Injection system. Basically, the ECU is programmed knowing that at 0 vacuum (full throttle on all motor cars) that the engine of its displacement will suck in a certain ammount of air. The AIT sensor measures the density of that air via temperature. This system is the greatest and offers the least restriction on the intake system... with one major tuning drawback. If you increase the volumetric efficiency of this engine, the ECU will not see it. It will show the same MAP reading and AIT temperature reading even if the engine is sucking in twice as much air now (say you put in cams, headers, exhaust, etc). Now you are going to be running lean cause the ECU has no idea that the volumetric efficieny was increased.

This is where more accurate system come into play. Such as what the Z has... a Hot-Wire Mass Airflow Sensor. As mentioned earlier in this thread, with a temperature regulated "hot-wire" in the middle of a tube, it can tell airflow by how much voltage is required to keep that wire at said temperature as the incoming air comes in and cools that wire through heat transfer. This is a static reading based on the diameter of the tube the air travels through, and like any sensor there is a point where you max it out and its sending a max voltage reading to the ECU. At this point the ECU cannot see any more air and you are out of luck for further fuel enrichment past this point... and then you may also have issues with the ECU not even being tuned to the max of this sensor's reading.

In theory, you could probably put a forced induction setup on a 350z and run a very very limited ammount of boost and the ECU could probably run it just fine until you max out the sensor or tune. This could be as low as 1 or 2 psi, who knows... it all depends on how far the sensor can read and the diameter of the sensor, how far the ECU was actually tuned from the factory, and how efficient the compressor on your forced induction system is.

What it comes down to either way, is that the system was never intended for much higher than factory HP (unless the engineers at Nissan felt the need to tune it for boost... which doesnt happen). HP is directly relavent to airflow, air density, and fuel enrichment.

So what are your options to getting more fuel in than the factory system can handle? There are a few. You can run a standalone Engine management system such as used in race cars. This is rediculous to put in your brand new Z unless it is some type of promoted race car, so forget it unless your ***** to the wall crazy about speed and tuning. But either way its a fully programmable system and you can do whatever the heck you feel like programming it to do.

Then there are the FMUs, fuel management units, or more better called fuel pressure risers. This units will rise the fuel pressure at a static rate with boost... commonly a 12 psi fuel pressure for every 1 psi boost. What this does is cram more fuel through your stock injectors by raising the fuel pressure. While the injector pulse width (the signal that says open-close) remains the same, every time they open... more fuel is crammed through then intended.

Then there are the newer style piggy back systems such as the Greddy Emanage. These are 100% the most ideal in my opinion for street cars. This is because it keeps your stock tune and correction maps, and can be programmed to only change ANYTHING when your boosting. What these systems will do is tap into the MAP sensor wire. When the device detects boost, it will use this boost reading for its own information, and then send a standard 0 vacuum reading to the ECU so that the ECU thinks everything is still normal. What this said device will now do with its boost reading is take the injector pulse width (by tapping into the injector wires) and actually extend the length of each pulse based on its tune to do so. So when you tune your Emanage you are tuning how much time you want the system to extend your injector pulse width based on a 2D chart of RPM/Boost. This gives your car more of a factory quality tune, and is definatly the most reliable and trouble free setup assuming reliable electronic engineering. The draw back? You are limited to your injector size. There is a point where your injectors cannot open any longer. Sure you can increase your injector size and then tune the system leaner to compensate, but now you are screwing with your ignition timing and all sorts of other things that I cannot go into since this post is already so long.

At any rate I hoped I helped at least a couple people learn something... and as for the ATI Procharger kit for the 350z...

Only time will tell... I will let everyone knows how it goes as I test rat my Z with it. If results prove well I will start stocking these kits for anyone in Chicago area that needs install and dyno tuning.

If you are a tuner and you have disagreements with what I say, please PM me or post here and we can have a good discussion. Have a good day everyone.

-Charles
CJ Motorsports
Old 06-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Nice post. I learned something new today.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:56 AM
ijnyu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Charles, really informative.

Good luck with the s/c. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:51 PM
neohalo1

Default phunk

Thank you for taking the time to write that. Very informative and answered several questions I had while considering this mod.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:28 PM
McDan

Default Re: It is time for a detailed review by a 350Z procharger owner

Originally posted by zland
It seems that the Prochargers are starting to get installed. This means people have them on their cars now. Can someone that has a procharger installed give us a detailed review?

1. I would love to know how the install went. Is it easy or difficult? Were there any modifications needed to get it installed?

2. Tuning: What was needed to get it tuned properly? Were there any issues that came up related to tuning it?

3. Driving it: What is the performance like? Noise of blower; too loud or sounds great? Would you recommend it now that you have gone through the experience?

Jeff
The procharger kit has not been released yet. There are only two cars that I know of with prototype kit. One is the JIC car, the other is owned by a private individual. I don't think you're gonna see answers to your questions for a few months at least.

Dan
Old 06-08-2003, 01:38 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Re: It is time for a detailed review by a 350Z procharger owner

Originally posted by McDan
The procharger kit has not been released yet. There are only two cars that I know of with prototype kit. One is the JIC car, the other is owned by a private individual. I don't think you're gonna see answers to your questions for a few months at least.

Dan

Paul of Avalon said they have 2 prochargers already purchased by customers and have them scheduled to be installed within 2 weeks time unless I heard him incorrectly. I did not ask him if they have the kits on site yet or not.

If that is true then it is possible to get answers to my questions. I am also assuming that id Avalon is getting them other shops will be getting them too at about the same time.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Loren04G35

Originally posted by ijnyu
Hey Loren, any interest with helping me with my kit? I would love to get rid of my check engine light that keeps popping up, MAP sensor too high.
I think I can help you out with this one. Get a 1-way check valve. A lot of auto parts stores have these in the Help section. It is basically a vacuum fitting with a spring and a ball bearing in it. It only allows air to pass 1 way. Put it in-line with your map sensor so it is closed on boost and your map sensor won't have a problem. If that still doesn't fix it, then get a generic vacuum resevoir and T it in between the check valve and the map sensor. I did basically the same arrangement to get my variable intake to work.

Last edited by Loren04G35; 06-08-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Loren04G35

Charles,

I have a couple questions for you. Do you know the size of the injectors and the fuel pump in the 350Z? With my experiences with the Maxima, the stock 239cc injectors only required a 6:1 or 8:1 FMU ratio. One of Stillen's screw-ups was sending me a 12:1 FMU so I was running 42 lbs too much fuel pressure(this actually blew out a 100 psi fuel pressure sender). This also caused me to lose 32 hp at the wheels when I was only running 6.5 psi. How much air can the stock 350Z MAF meter? At what flow rate do the injectors max out? These basically decide the rest.

From all my tuning on the Maxima, I switched from a fixed FMU to an adjustable one. Through my wideband tuning I found stock injectors and MAF maxed out around 3500 rpms at a boost level of 4 lbs. This is one of the advantages of a MAF car. It continues to move along the map until it either reaches the end of the map or the duty cycle is maxed out. It will actually compensate to the limits set in the ECU for the extra airflow autmatically. Once it reaches the end of the map, the FMU needs to take over. That's where I set on the onset for the pressure. My ramp was 6-7:1 and I had a high-set bleeder to vent at 9 psi, just above power peak. This gave me a 12.1-12.2:1 A/F across the entire powerband. With a fixed 6:1 ratio it was very rich in the low-end and mid-range, but leaner on top by comparison. This is how they work on MAF cars. No one has come up with a fixed ratio FMU that is tuned to work better with and MAF system.

I would simply be very surprised if a 12:1 FMU ratio is necessary. A 12:1 is typically used in kits that go on vehicles with ver low static fuel pressure. Depending on injector size, I would expect 4-8:1. Going too rich (10:1 A/F) could quickly burn out the cats, but you do always want to be on the safe side. The initial dyno sheet doesn't give any indication of the A/F ratio or ratio used. These are just some thoughts I have on this.

Last edited by Loren04G35; 06-08-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

For those just jumping in, go to ATI procharger webpage and check it out. You can learn a lot of ATI's approach to SC'ing by reading up.

http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMP..._compact.shtml
Old 06-08-2003, 07:45 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: It is time for a detailed review by a 350Z procharger owner

Originally posted by McDan

Dan
The blower was ordered by one of the local club members early last week. We'll be getting it into the shop for installation in two weeks.

Expect plenty of photos.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
toykilla

can anyone explain the limitations of a supercharger? The initial numbers of the procharger look enticing, but i rarely if ever see 600+hp supercharged supras/skylines/z's etc...

i had talked to someone that said a supercharger would limit my potential in the long run if i wanted to a wicked fast car and a turbo setup would be a better bet.

please help
Old 06-09-2003, 07:19 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by toykilla
can anyone explain the limitations of a supercharger? The initial numbers of the procharger look enticing, but i rarely if ever see 600+hp supercharged supras/skylines/z's etc...

i had talked to someone that said a supercharger would limit my potential in the long run if i wanted to a wicked fast car and a turbo setup would be a better bet.

please help
Though you ALL THE TIME see supercharged domestics.

The reason you don't see them much in imports, because most of the HIGH HORSEPOWER turbo imports had turbos from the factory. Using your example, Supras - Skylines - and Z32TTs...

The supercharger is just as big a contender.

Here is a local buds Cobra w/a fully built 4V ati-procharged powerplant... Even with a blower on my car I will NOT mess with this thing...

Old 06-09-2003, 07:24 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default very informative

Charles,

Thanks for the very informative post. You seem very experienced and knowledgeable about FI and along with the fact that you will be the first in the Chicago area to evaluate the procharger system, I will be looking forward to your review. If its decent, you will definitely see me sometime since I'm from the chicago area and would like to go FI in the next 6months-1year.

Just a few questions: even if you run leaner with a a super- or turbocharger, you still have significant horsepwer gains with no problem right? I understand the ideal air/fuel ratio for complete combustion would make those gains optimal, but not necessary, correct? One possible drawback of running lean would be heat build up, but thats what the intercooler is for. If I recall correctly, the procharger comes with one right?

Thanks,
RaymanZ
Old 06-09-2003, 07:27 PM
PhoenixINX

Running lean can cause tons of other probs... heat being one of the lesser worries, the greatest being detonation.

You detonate and... kaboom.

Fortunately for us our ECU is super sensitive to knock which is a symptom of detonation.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Jason

Originally posted by little_rod
Constant tuning and troubleshooting is good for guys who can work on their cars themselves.
And have a decently sized garage, which isn't my case
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 AM
12SecZ

Thumbs up I just read all 11 pages again

Wow it has allot of info you just have to read it, it's all there.

I am now 7-9-03 officially going on the record as saying mine is coming drop shipped from someone who doesn't have to order 10 or 20 of them because of his past experirnces with ATI. He can order 1 or 10 of them! It's not a group buy type setup. I am going through him because of his extensive website, experience and the promise of more parts he has coming out soon!

The benefit of this? It ships directly from ATI (mine is packaged up and on it's way out fully built and boxed.) instead of shipping to say the East Coast just to be sent back here to the West Coast.

For now I have only ordered one guage the GReddy Exhaust one in silver. Its enroute too.

This is who I have been dealing with. A very large shop on the East Coast with a proven history, cars and knowledge. Mike has answered every one of my never ending emails and phone calls since day 1.

He is good to deal with and I give him the thumbs up.

I am going to move my SC install from door to track thread to it's own thread as soon as it gets here for all to benefit from just as I did other components like N20, Plenum etc.

From what I have been told the most important guage is the Exhaust Temp because you can dial in the right numbers in you FM system if your dat or lean.

The FMIC goes in front of the radiator which is cool because it's hidden behind my new Stillen Grille.

My question in my head now is exhaust. I have 2.5 all the way back (stock Y gone resonator gone) into a one chambler muffler (MagnaFlow Racing) I did this knowing eventually I would want boost. I am hoping this goes smoothly. My concern if anything is rods but after 10 bottles of N20 at as high as 105 Shots all night on DR's I think we are ok folks!

I am contemplating a cutout (50 bucks installed) for track only.

Thoughts on that?

All opinions/suggestions to the SC install and ideas will be apreciated!

The guy I bought from only made one quiet post in this thread and I am reposting it, this is who I decided upon.

Begin Vendors Post

"
We would be more than happy to help you out at Altered Atmosphere Motorsports - where we are an ATI Procharger Distributor and installation facility. We are located in Maryland and currently have a project 350Z we will be testing the Procharger kit on, and will be developing a turbo kit with this fall. We can also help you reprogram your ECU on our in-house dynometer. This includes eliminating the speed cut, rasing the rev limiter, and adjusting your fuel and ignition curves (great for forced induction applications).

Thanks,
See ya,

1994 Stealth Twin Turbo 692awhp (no nos!)
Best et: 10.71
Best mph: 137mph
MikeM@alteredatmosphere.com
www.alteredatmosphere.com
301-330-8835

Coming Soon - Project Ultimate Street 3000GT VR4
Coming Soon - Project Ultimate Street Turbo 350Z
?

End his post