Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Injected Performance: Cosworth dyno test at 7000+rpm FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

not quite sure why i am in this thread or offering information.. i can't afford this plenum
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't wait to see the comparison between this manifold and the 5/16 or even 1/2 spacer
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Eagletanggreen (Luie) will be doing exactly that. MREV2 with 1/2" spacer Vs Cosworth.

Built, with high boost, high RPM, Fcon, meth and everything.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-28-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 AM
RBlover69

it should be a good battle.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For Luies setup, I don't expect the MREV2/spacer to be on par with the Cosworth by any means, but still, this is a test that must be seen.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
rkd350z

+1 and that requires some major motor work not some bolt ons..
Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 PM
derek173

Any updates?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We have back-to-back dyno tested the Cosworth intake plenum many times now on various cars and my findings are always positive. The more power the car makes, the more power it gains.

We have these in stock if anyone needs.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
We have back-to-back dyno tested the Cosworth intake plenum many times now on various cars and my findings are always positive. The more power the car makes, the more power it gains.

We have these in stock if anyone needs.
Hal, do you have any comparison dynos vs the SFR DE plenum or runs up to 8K rpm? I am looking into these two as options next spring.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Cass007
Hal, do you have any comparison dynos vs the SFR DE plenum or runs up to 8K rpm? I am looking into these two as options next spring.
Dual throttle body and new intercooler with the SFR DE Plenum?

If you go dual throttle body, you might be able to use two MAF sensors instead of MAP sensors, depending on your EMS. I forgot which EMS you ended up going with.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Dual throttle body and new intercooler with the SFR DE Plenum?

If you go dual throttle body, you might be able to use two MAF sensors instead of MAP sensors, depending on your EMS. I forgot which EMS you ended up going with.
ViPEC EMS. SFR makes a single intake plenum for the DE.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/inde...&productID=929

Going to wait until I get some miles on the new setup first.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cass007
+1000 I would like to see if the Cosworth can keep building power over 7500rpm. I would really be interested in a dyno with stock heads/cams also if one is available.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ttg35fort, I do not have a comparison vs the SFR plenum. The only experience I have with their plenum was malfunctioning throttles so it was sent back and refunded.

BriGuy, there is a LOT more to making power over 7500 than an intake manifold... such as cams and more importantly exhaust restrictions (This means no cast/log style manifolds and properly sized turbos - no small turbos or turbos in smaller housings) etc. For reference, my personal Z holds peak power almost flat to 8300rpm.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

ttg35fort, I do not have a comparison vs the SFR plenum. The only experience I have with their plenum was malfunctioning throttles so it was sent back and refunded.
That was Cass007's question.

I already have a polished Cosworth plenum. Considering how much money I have into it, I'm not changing at this point.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Super G35

I have used the kinetix plenum in my built for my motor, it shows some real HP gains on the high RPMs, actually my car running till 8000 RPM & having power gains in using this plenum.

I recommend using this plenum for FI application.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Super G35
I have used the kinetix plenum in my built for my motor, it shows some real HP gains on the high RPMs, actually my car running till 8000 RPM & having power gains in using this plenum.

I heard this was possible as well, but I just can't get past how it looks. For me it will always be a combination of form and function.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BriGuy, there is a LOT more to making power over 7500 than an intake manifold... such as cams and more importantly exhaust restrictions (This means no cast/log style manifolds and properly sized turbos - no small turbos or turbos in smaller housings) etc. For reference, my personal Z holds peak power almost flat to 8300rpm.
So true Hal! I would love to see a pressure ratio comparison (intake manifold pressure : exhaust manifold pressure) on a greddy or GTM kit. They both have to be BAD! the greddy looks to have a better log manifold than the GTM, but the greddy suffers from the tiny Mitsu turbine housing.

For street performance, both kits work great.......for high rpm power, gotta stay away from the logs! It is so easy to make power with a turbocharger that alot of design/engineering gets lost or compromised due to the ease of "turning up" the boost on most kits. I properly designed tubular manifold with a properly sized compressor/turbine will make more power with less "boost" if you have the rpm capabilities to support the larger, freeer flowing turbo setup (usually at the expense of low speed boost response though.)

BTW......did cosworth get all the bugs worked out of those intake manifolds? didn't they make some design changes to the endcaps/ gaskets?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Super G35

I caution others from blindly following this recommendation without doing more research on this subject. The Kinetix Plenum may be good for some, but it is not the right solution for everyone with a FI build.

Many people, like myself, are not only interested in gaining HP in the high rpms, but are also looking to increase HP accross as much of the RPM range as possbile. For these people, the Cosworth plenum is certainly worth looking at. The Motordyne 5/16" spacer is another option that is well worth looking at.

Remember, it is not just peak HP that is important (unless someone is building a dyno queen), it is useable HP. When looking at HP increases, it is best to look at changes in HP in the total area under the curve, not just the extreme upper RPM range.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 08-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by QuadCam
So true Hal! I would love to see a pressure ratio comparison (intake manifold pressure : exhaust manifold pressure) on a greddy or GTM kit. They both have to be BAD! the greddy looks to have a better log manifold than the GTM, but the greddy suffers from the tiny Mitsu turbine housing.

For street performance, both kits work great.......for high rpm power, gotta stay away from the logs! It is so easy to make power with a turbocharger that alot of design/engineering gets lost or compromised due to the ease of "turning up" the boost on most kits. I properly designed tubular manifold with a properly sized compressor/turbine will make more power with less "boost" if you have the rpm capabilities to support the larger, freeer flowing turbo setup (usually at the expense of low speed boost response though.)

BTW......did cosworth get all the bugs worked out of those intake manifolds? didn't they make some design changes to the endcaps/ gaskets?
Hi Andrew,

I had the same concerns before I bought my GTM turbo kit. Before I purchased it, I was seriously considering Sound Performance Racing's turbo kit. The issue with the tubular exhaust manifolds is that, over time, they tend to sag when pushed hard for long durations during road racing. For street or 1/4 use, it probably is not an issue.

Also, remember the ideal gas law, pV=nRT. The pressure and temperature of the exhaust gases are directly proportional. Thus, it is important to get the exhaust gases to the turbine before a significant temperature drop occurs. But also remember that the exhaust gases cool as they travel through the exhaust manifold (ceramic coating and heat wrap can help limit the amount of cooling to an extent). So a long, free flowing exhaust manifold may not necessarily provide a significant improvement on turbo performance over a short, more restrictive exhaust. EDIT: I think the improvement will be more noticable with larger turbos with high A/R's as opposed to smaller turbos. Much depends on the temperature of the exhaust gasses when they reach the turbines. The higher the temperature is, the higher the pressure will be on the turbine inlet (ignoring other factors). Finally, as you increase the volume of the exhaust manifold, you decrease turbo responsiveness.

Now, if I were building my engine for street or 1/4 mi. use, I would still go with a welded tubular SS exhaust manifold, getting one with the shortest tubes practical. I would ceramic coat this inside and out. Since I am building for road course, I went with the log manifolds for the reason of durability. Again, I am fully ceramic coating everything. In summary, as with everything else, the exhaust manifold selection should be based on your goals and how you will be using the car.

EDIT EDIT: Check out BMW's new turbo exhaust manifold design. Very interesting:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/08/08/au...th-turbo-brag/

Last edited by ttg35fort; 08-17-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Injected Performance: Cosworth dyno test at 7000+rpm FI