Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo HELP!!! Please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo HELP!!! Please.

i have a turbonetics kit. with a 3" tanabe exhaust

now i cant pass emissions for **** because im failing the smog tests. My emissions are almost double the limit because i have no cats in there. Does anybody have a turbonetics kit that can help me.

It doesnt seem like i can fit cats in there cuz its so tight. How does everyone else with this kit pass the smog test?

here is a pic of what it looks like under the car

Last edited by 350 Rookie; 12-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie

now i cant pass emissions for **** because im failing the smog tests. My emissions are almost double the limit because i have no cats in there. Does anybody have a turbonetics kit that can help me.

It doesnt seem like i can fit cats in there cuz its so tight. How does everyone else with this kit pass the smog test?

Dont you know anyone that can pass you? I mean I passed my NY inspection with my STS but worst come to worst, I have shops that I can go pay. Do you really expect to pass with flying colors with a Turbo and no CAT?

Ask around and you'll find someone...

Last edited by athenG; 12-26-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

smog? in CT? all they are suppose to do is hooked up the ODBII scanner and check for codes.. what the hell? smog?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by doug
smog? in CT? all they are suppose to do is hooked up the ODBII scanner and check for codes.. what the hell? smog?

If this is the case then it is the same as NY. All you have to do is clear everything if you have any codes and make sure all the ECU test has finished.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Well who in the world told you that you would pass an emissions test with an aftermarket turbo kit and no cats?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they are switching to a county by county rule. Virginia does this. Up north people need SMOG, down south, just a safety check
Old 12-26-2007, 12:09 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Well who in the world told you that you would pass an emissions test with an aftermarket turbo kit and no cats?
nobody man. whats wrong with you. either you answer the qustion or you dont. i hate when pointless comments are made

first of all. i bought the car with no cats from NY.

I live in CT and i gotta get emissions done and i need cats. Get it, got it, good.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
Dont you know anyone that can pass you? I mean I passed my NY inspection with my STS but worst come to worst, I have shops that I can go pay. Do you really expect to pass with flying colors with a Turbo and no CAT?

Ask around and you'll find someone...
i checked everywhere and no body knows and i asked a couple of shops but they arent taking the chance.
im willing to pay a couple of hundred but i cant find a shop to bribe. lol.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
doug

nobody man. whats wrong with you. either you answer the qustion or you dont. i hate when pointless comments are made

first of all. i bought the car with no cats from NY.

I live in CT and i gotta get emissions done and i need cats. Get it, got it, good.
its ODBII man.. there is no smog test.. if you are worried find a shop near by and ask them what you need for smog.. and watch them laugh
Old 12-26-2007, 12:15 PM
athenG

i checked everywhere and no body knows and i asked a couple of shops but they arent taking the chance.
im willing to pay a couple of hundred but i cant find a shop to bribe. lol.
You have to go talk to people who has modded cars coz they already know the hookups. If you go to a shop that don't know you, all of them will say no since they won't take a chance of loosing their license for a few $$$. Also if you know any Mechanic then talk to them since they might be friends with other shop that can hook you up. Drive to a different county if you have to or ask Doug
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
doug

http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/smog-check.php

The emissions inspection includes the following tests:

- Gas cap leakage
- An onboard diagnostics exam for vehicles 1996 or newer
- An acceleration exam for vehicles 1995 or older
- An idling test for some vehicles
- Special tests for diesel-powered vehicles
Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
krnzzang84

GOOD LUCK BRO!!! Keep us up with update
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

ok. maybe CT doesnt have a smog test law or w/e but i got 2 sniffers in my exhaust and i got exact measurements of my HC, NOX, and CO.

My question in the first place was, Where is it possible to fit a catalic converter when lookin at the pic i posted. My qustion wasnt anything else. Please please asnwer the question if you know it and dont waste my time. Thanx in advance.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:26 PM
doug

ODBII .. what sniffer you talking about? we are here to help you.. don't tell us don't waste your time.. pull your fcking skirt up.. that attitude won't last long in the F/I forum..

we some brutal ****'s in ere
Old 12-26-2007, 12:32 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

oh ya, i guess when my original question was "where can cat go in this setup", and i get a whole bunch of "Ct doesnt have smog", is not wasiting anybodyes time. You're right cuz im still not here asking the same question 14 posts ago.

Please doug, take a look at that pic and tell me where to weld on a cat. Is that too much to ask.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
athenG

Yo, relax! Doug is helping you out and he posted what are the test needed for newer cars.

"An onboard diagnostics exam for vehicles 1996 or newer "

Some shop are idiot and don't know the difference between a 2006 and 1986 cars. Inspection are State Controlled so go to a different shop and ask them what is being done for new cars. My car was inspected at Nissan.

Edit:

Never mind if all you want is how to weld a CAT. Do you think a CAT can eliminate everything when you go on boost and your A/F is 10.8?

Last edited by athenG; 12-26-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/smog-check.php

The emissions inspection includes the following tests:

- Gas cap leakage
- An onboard diagnostics exam for vehicles 1996 or newer
- An acceleration exam for vehicles 1995 or older
- An idling test for some vehicles
- Special tests for diesel-powered vehicles
.... why are you still talking about welding on a cat
Old 12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
doug

i am not sure why you need a cat at all.. its just an ODBII test.. they start the car.. plug in the scanner.. and run the car.. if you don't have any codes you pass.. if you do.. they tell you what you need to do.. and at that point it depends on what the code is.. mostly they look for 02 sensor codes.. EVAP codes..

just go to a local goodyear and ask the guy.. its not like if you ask a question they are going to say YOU MUST NOW COME IN AND DO THE TEST.. you are only asking a question dude.. ask what the test is.. and go some where else
Old 12-26-2007, 07:05 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

alright, the first test i went to, the guy at the shop told me the readiness test werent completed yet because i recently deleted the codes. the codes were p0300 and p1273. i think p1273 is from the 02 sensor. i have driven 300 miles since the deletion of code and the pcm is still not ready. the car has completed everything except 02 sensor and evap. as soon as those test are done, im gonna get another MIL.

either way, shouldnt i get a cat so the 02 sensors read right. if the sensors are happy, car is happy and no codes.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You're going to need a custom cat welded in now that you've raised red flags in the system. You could've/should've asked what they were going to do before you went - many shops will be nice and let you know if you're going to fail, before you "actually" do while hooked up to the state's central computer system.

I found a source for custom cats in my quest to minimize fumes and power loss - I passed all the literature and info along to Sharif at ForgedPerformance, who is doing the custom work for me. You could ask him if these would fit in your application (I really don't know the TN setup, but I'd think as long as you tapped into the exhaust before it got too cold, the CAT would work fine). I bought 2 cats, but you could get 1 I think - they are 4.5" max diameter, about 6" min length and outlets can span 2.5, 2.75, 3, or 3.5 (what I got to insert into APS test pipes). They are 200 cell metal cats and are OBDII compliant believe it or not. Again, I can dig up the info, but Sharif should have it all and can probably advise you if it would fit or it's a wild goose chase (again, *I* am not sure, but good luck!). I think he should offer these to the Z community once he tests them out to his satisfaction...

EDIT: The random tech folks were also exceptionally good about providing data and advice. I didn't go with them because they didn't offer a 200 cell cat nor did they have a 3.5" inlet/outlet, which I needed. But they might have what you need sitting "on the shelf" (get a universal fit 300 cell metal cat w/ 3" inlet and outlet and have an exhaust shop weld it in - make sure they put a 2nd O2 sensor bung after the cat - and make sure the wire reaches it).

Last edited by rcdash; 12-26-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo HELP!!! Please.