Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Installing Greddy TT kit myself...advice/tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
dank311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
You won;'t have any issues with hurting the mounting holes. these engines are light. with out the heads, I was able to pick up the assembled short block and oil pans and slide it into my engine stand by myself. It wasn't a cake walk, but it is doable by one person. Im sure these mounting loactions are plenty strng...even with only 3 bolts.
Awsome ,I just wanted to make sure I wasnt gonna mess anything up...well, I will give it a try tommorrow, and start with the turbo's, manifolds, and oil pan. I will be updating with pics by the weekend.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are blessed to have access to an engine hoist or maybe borrow one from a mechanic, you can use that to hold up the engine while you attach it to the engine stand. Otherwise, you might have someone hold it up while you attach it.
Like it has been mentioned, the engine is aluminum, so in fact its not too heavy.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Duke52

About to start my own install - very interested in the out come!

I'm installing my tt set up on the stock motor - in the car - on a lift.

If you come up with any suggestions for those of us not installing out of the car please post it up!

Thanks for the thread and good luck with the install!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
iamdigital

i'm like 1600 photos into my install. Completely stripped the entire car inside and out (literally a garage full of labeled boxes). I'm about to throw the TT kit on but if you run into anything please let me know or have any questions I may be able to help with. Interesting to see a couple of builds being done at the same time.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
rrmedicx

If you have an engine lift, removing the engine and tranny is a snap...really.
You can lower the car to chest height, rest the engine and tranny on some sort of SOLID box or cart. and remove the 3 mounting points. There are 2 engine mounts...loosed the 2 nuts there and the transmission is the third mounting point (4 bolts)... and voila...The engine/tranny are free from teh car...Of course you have to take time to disconnect the ECU under the passenger side dash panel and pull the head of the connector out thru the opening on the passenger side by the battery. This saves you from disconnecting every single sensor. I believe this is the way Sharif does it at the shop.

I think he has a video on you tube showing an accelerated version of the removal and install of a TT kit. I'll try to find it so you can see what I mean.
It is much simpler to work on installing a TT with the engine out. Not to say it can't be done, but you definitely won't have to worry about smashing your knuckles into every sharp edge every minute. Good Luck.

Edit*** Correction***Now that I check the video again, it looks like Sharif and the boys actually do remove all of the sensors on the engine before dropping it. Oh well.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 01-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
rrmedicx

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BCKVwtXaw
Check it out.
Just drop the cross member and release the tranny support, disconnect the sensors a couple of other little things. and Done.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 01-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Duke52

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BCKVwtXaw
Check it out.
Just drop the cross member and release the tranny support, disconnect the sensors a couple of other little things. and Done.
That's awesome!

I think I will do it this way... I’ve got to convince my buddy (guy letting me use the lift) not to be disillusioned about dropping the motor... We've got 7 days to complete it or I end up on jack stands... Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke52
That's awesome!

I think I will do it this way... I’ve got to convince my buddy (guy letting me use the lift) not to be disillusioned about dropping the motor... We've got 7 days to complete it or I end up on jack stands... Thanks for the tips!
hmm.. black TT Z on route 8 .. hmm.. i will be looking for you
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Duke52

Originally Posted by doug
hmm.. black TT Z on route 8 .. hmm.. i will be looking for you

Black 07 busa on RT 8 too

we'll have to catch up this spring!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Black 07 busa on RT 8 too

we'll have to catch up this spring!
i was thinking car vs car.. but my 07 1000 will take care of that 07 Busa.. don't forget RT8 is windy.. my fav parts are the S's by the mountains after you leave nagatuck and heading towards beacon falls where the cliffs are.. i scrape pegs around there constantly.. i pulled my cousin in those S's.. he was on a K5 1000 and i was on an 03 600RR and i am 50 lbs heavier than him at the time.. he caught me on that long straight before exit 27 though
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
rrmedicx

That's awesome!

Word of advice, I would go one step further since its your first motor disassembly and it doesn't seem like you are a mechanic...(not unlike me)...I would go one step further and label each connector with a piece of tape.

Example. I would put a piece of tape (like painters tape) on both sides of a connector and label it in such a way that when you put it all back together, you don't have to worry about remembering how it goes. Like label it "a" on both sides of the tape. Whatever system you use, just keep it simple.
Trust me...its the little things that make the re-assembly a piece of cake. You will be thanking me later. Also, if you have any zip locks, use them to hold the bolts and again label each bag.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Duke52

Word of advice, I would go one step further since its your first motor disassembly and it doesn't seem like you are a mechanic...(not unlike me)...I would go one step further and label each connector with a piece of tape.

Example. I would put a piece of tape (like painters tape) on both sides of a connector and label it in such a way that when you put it all back together, you don't have to worry about remembering how it goes. Like label it "a" on both sides of the tape. Whatever system you use, just keep it simple.
Trust me...its the little things that make the re-assembly a piece of cake. You will be thanking me later. Also, if you have any zip locks, use them to hold the bolts and again label each bag.
thanks rrmedicx, I probably will label everything too as I've been through that headache before- I spun wrenches for a few years but have been a desk jockey for more... This will be the first Nissan I've pulled apart - but I've got a ton of experience with DSMs and domestics so I'm pretty confident it will go smoothly. It can't be worse then some of my other projects... i've found that duct or racers tape with a sharpy works the best as masking tape gets smudged and dirty... I'll take some pics and post them up if you don't mind my hijacking....
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im doin mine in my garage on jackstands. my greddy came with no instructions. its pretty straight forward, but my intercooler keeps bumpin into things. from the front end, what am i supposed to move? coolant? washer fluid? horns? power steering cooler?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 AM
QuadCam

About to start my own install - very interested in the out come!

I'm installing my tt set up on the stock motor - in the car - on a lift.

If you come up with any suggestions for those of us not installing out of the car please post it up!

Thanks for the thread and good luck with the install!
Get every possible wierd 12mm wrench(short, long, bent, ratching), socket(deep, shallow, articulating, 1/4", 3/8"), crows feet, etc!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
im doin mine in my garage on jackstands. my greddy came with no instructions. its pretty straight forward, but my intercooler keeps bumpin into things. from the front end, what am i supposed to move? coolant? washer fluid? horns? power steering cooler?

the instructions are on www.greddy.com. they truly suck though. A kindergartener could right better instructions.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
The horns are on very flexible metal extensions. They can be bent up 90 degrees, or simply pushed behind the intercooler, your choice. The washer fluid reservoir is supposed to be removed and replaced with the small one provided by Greddy. The 2 washer pumps get removed and Greddy provides new rubber grommets for them to fit into the new contained. They even provide wire extensions to drive the 2 washer pump motors.
Yes, a lot of it is common sense, but it always helps to have pictures or some type of guide, especially if you are a first timer.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
bbs350z

The horns are on very flexible metal extensions. They can be bent up 90 degrees, or simply pushed behind the intercooler, your choice. The washer fluid reservoir is supposed to be removed and replaced with the small one provided by Greddy. The 2 washer pumps get removed and Greddy provides new rubber grommets for them to fit into the new contained. They even provide wire extensions to drive the 2 washer pump motors.
Yes, a lot of it is common sense, but it always helps to have pictures or some type of guide, especially if you are a first timer.
jeez that blows. does greddy sell the washer resevoir seperate?? id run it without, but itd be nice to have just in case.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
rrmedicx

Unless you are buying a used kit, it is included in the Greddy Kit. I do however, see that some folks are upgrading to other types of coolant tanks, (stainless Steel) maybe someone would be willing to sell theirs. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM
bbs350z

Unless you are buying a used kit, it is included in the Greddy Kit. I do however, see that some folks are upgrading to other types of coolant tanks, (stainless Steel) maybe someone would be willing to sell theirs. Just a thought.
yea i got it used. also i was reading greddy's instructions, whats the brake check valve?? mine doesnt have it, sso could i run the kit without it? also, my power steering cooler, should i just bend it back into the fenderwell like how turbonetics does??
Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
MardiGrasMax

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Get every possible wierd 12mm wrench(short, long, bent, ratching), socket(deep, shallow, articulating, 1/4", 3/8"), crows feet, etc!!!

yea, and a fresh box of knuckle band aids!

Quick Reply: Installing Greddy TT kit myself...advice/tips