Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

350z Procharger Is Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
A - Monkey Man, are you still planning to install this on a Z and give us a review? I was waiting on the Greddy kit, but if the quality and price are right on the Procharger, I could swing that way. I'm definitely not in a hurry... just wondering if you'll have something for commentary for us before the end of August when I'll be ready to buy.

B - Is someone really negotiating a group buy? What time frame? How much of a discount?

C - For that matter, how much is the kit? Someone said the price is on their website, but I just looked and could not find it.

For those who haven't seen it, picture of the install below... looks pretty clean.
I would like to know the price also. I went through the website more than once and never saw a price anywhere. Also, they are touting 50-55% gain at the crank, not the rear wheels. So, how much parasitic loss is there, we would get 430hp at the crank and maybe 350 rwhp? Reading the site info again says they are still working on the 350Z kit. 8-10 hrs for install, $700 maybe and $5-7000 for the kit, an increase of 63 rwhp, lets call it on the lowest price. $5700 gets you 110rwhp more, guessing, thats $52 for one hp gain at the rear wheels. Expensive, maybe worth it, or not. The kit looks very well made and self-contained lubrication is a big plus, as is the intercooler. Defintely needs more investigation.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys not looking around or what. The price has been posted a dozen times. Avalon and Streetsports are in somewhat of a price war and a web site called superchargers online has the best price yet:

Superchargers Online

The above kit is the high end one.

Here is a little less expensive kit without the fuel management unit:

Superchargers Online II
Old 06-21-2003, 07:52 AM
jesseenglish

Took the words right out of my mouth...... errr fingers.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Are you guys not looking around or what. The price has been posted a dozen times. Avalon and Streetsports are in somewhat of a price war and a web site called superchargers online has the best price yet:

Superchargers Online

The above kit is the high end one.

Here is a little less expensive kit without the fuel management unit:

Superchargers Online II
Who, me? I have been studiously avoiding this product to not be tempted. Who's the guinea pig? And for a $300 difference, I wouldn't settle for a lesser product. Does over $50 per 1 rwhp appeal to a buyer such as you or others, considering your Nissan warranty is toilet paper, if something goes wrong? Has any of our number purchased one?

How about my guess? Am I getting better or what?
Old 06-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Boomer: I wasn't just aiming that post at you. I was just surprised that so many posters seemed to have no idea how much was being asked for this kit.

I agree with you 100%. I would LOVE to jump on this deal. In fact, there is a group buy being put together with an even better price. I'm just not sure I want to do this yet. I would like to see the results (with dynos) of several members that have it and THEN (more importantly) see if there are any problems/issues with the kit and how the car works with it on.

Does over $50 per 1 rwhp appeal to a buyer such as you or others, considering your Nissan warranty is toilet paper, if something goes wrong?
Anything under 4500-5000 for upwards of 400 BHP seems like a pretty good price to me. The turbo kits (which are probably going to be less reliable) are most likely going to cost a lot more. So are several of the other SC kits out there and for LESS HP.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:30 AM
ForceInduction

Bigworm521 - These kits are very reliable. In fact they come with a standard 1-year warranty and for an extra $49 you can get an extended 3-year manufacture warranty. ATI Procharger has been around for years now and in my opinion they rank highly on being one for the top manufacture for superchargers. They would not put out junk and that's why they are indeed one of the best s/c manufactures out there to date.

Mcduck - Yes, they are using a new head unit for this kit, but it is the same technology as the original head units they use. Since, they are dealing with vehicles with smaller displacement they need a blower that is smaller. The C2 is a smaller compressor with a wicked impeller. This company been around for years and they have over 15 different types of head units, and they all function beyond my expectations.

Boomer - Btw...great theory you worked out...I loved it. At a performance stand point, the Procharger car was spotted at the track and it was hitting VERY low 13's in the quarter mile with track speeds over 100mph. For a $4,000 range price tag, that seems to be worth it to me. Also it's against the law for a manufacture to void the warranty of an aftermarket part, unless if it's, "for off road use only" or if they can prove the product did the harm to the engine. There are many laws that protect the consumer for stuff like this.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Only low 13's?? I think someone who is N/A got that! For that many HP I would expect better quarter mile times.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:46 PM
ForceInduction

low 13's is fast, I don't care how you look at it. In the "racing" section there is a guy running 12.87 on a 150 shot of NOS. If 7psi adds around 50% more HP then it makes sence that low 13's to high 12's are what to expect with a 130 HP gain. My math can be off, but it just seem logical. But, I'm sure it can pull of better track times, we will find out very soon.

Last edited by ForceInduction; 06-21-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by ForceInduction
low 13's is fast, I don't care how you look at it. In the "racing" section there is a guy running 12.87 on a 150 shot of NOS. If 7psi adds around 50% more HP then it makes sence that low 13's to high 12's are what to expect with a 130 HP gain. My math can be off, but it just seem logical. But, I'm sure it can pull of better track times, we will find out very soon.
It looks extemely well done and is more attractive than add-on turbos. I know many people say you can turbo a car with a high compression, but it doesn't appeal to me, having owned a factory install stock unit on my MR2T. It only had a 8.8:1 compression ratio and it generated a huge amount of heat at 7 psi.

The Supercharger is much more self contained with its own lubrication system and an intercooler. Someone earlier said the centrifugal SC was progressive boost and would come on gradually and not hit all at once, like when a turbo spools up sometimes, making drivability an issue. I would really like to see a schematic on an uninstalled/installed kit, so I/we could see the air to air system and where it is vis a vis the radiator. I want to see how open the air flow is to avoid high heat levels. It looks almost too good to be true, including the price.

Boomer--no installers in the center of the U.S. is a problem. None in Texas even.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Z33Fan

...Some questions/thoughts about the ProCharger:

- What about Fuel Management to compensate for all of that extra air? Are larger fuel pumps required, and if so, what about ECU adjustment?

- Does the ECU need other adjustments to prevent detonation, etc.?

- VQ35 engines are notorious for having the connecting rods be the weakest part of the engine. Does this type of boost set up the potential for taking the stresses on those rods to the edge, or beyond?

- Is this factored into the current kit, or are we setting a course for potential problems down the road? $5k is a lot of money for anything, and I would think that everyone should be able to have all of the facts to make good decisions.

It sounds promising, but dangerous at the same time until someone can discuss air/fuel management and how the current (or future) ECU's will be able to deal with this type of change. I'm just a curious person that knows enough about engines to know that everything has to be balanced in order for the system as a whole to work at maximum potential.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Only low 13's?? I think someone who is N/A got that! For that many HP I would expect better quarter mile times.
I agree, Car and Driver (or Motor Trend) got 13.9 in the 1/4 mile with their test 350Z, if you shave off some pounds and add basic mods and some nitrous you can run low 13's. I would like to see mid-12's from 400+hp.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I believe it was 13.24 or something like that. He had CAI and exhaust and possibly headers (and maybe pulleys?). Sorry, I really don't remember all of the details but still N/A.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "lower" (now I sound like Bill Clinton!). Do you mean like 13.10 or do you mean 13.49?

For Z33 fan, I believe this kit comes with a special fuel pump and fuel management unit.

The ECU flash that Chebosto is working on would probably add to this mod as well.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by Z33Fan
...Some questions/thoughts about the ProCharger:

- What about Fuel Management to compensate for all of that extra air? Are larger fuel pumps required, and if so, what about ECU adjustment?

- Does the ECU need other adjustments to prevent detonation, etc.?

- VQ35 engines are notorious for having the connecting rods be the weakest part of the engine. Does this type of boost set up the potential for taking the stresses on those rods to the edge, or beyond?

- Is this factored into the current kit, or are we setting a course for potential problems down the road? $5k is a lot of money for anything, and I would think that everyone should be able to have all of the facts to make good decisions.

It sounds promising, but dangerous at the same time until someone can discuss air/fuel management and how the current (or future) ECU's will be able to deal with this type of change. I'm just a curious person that knows enough about engines to know that everything has to be balanced in order for the system as a whole to work at maximum potential.
This kit was designed for bolt-on, add extra hp easily, for non-experienced customers. Earlier someone said this does not include fuel management. The ECU will probably not change the injector amount of fuel being pumped in, you would have to buy a programmer to program it to change the amount of fuel entering at a certain time. The rods are weak, but Greddy, Top Secret, and I am sure others have proved that they are good to 400+hp, as long as you don't raise the boost you should be fine. It would be smart to upgrade the rods at least though, especially if you plan on raising the boost. It could, or could not have problems down the road, we need a guinea pig to find out. Some people have had problems with their kit, some haven't, they are using a new s/c so we won't know reliability.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:50 PM
jesseenglish

Just to clear this up again....

This is the full kit WITH fuel management, intercooler etc. etc.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on 1/4 mile times. There is a lot to take into account in 1/4 mile times. Reaction time, traction, clutch engagement, gearing... you get the idea

It doesn't really matter whether you get the extra 100 or so hp from a centrifugal Supercharger or a Turbocharger. To the drive train boost is boost. Adding atmospheric pressure and more fuel creates power, how it's used by the driver has no bearing on the kit providing the boost. The question isn't will the ATI procharger setup cause the engine to fail, the question should be how much intercooled boost can the VQ35 engine handle and just from experience 7psi is hardly any boost at all.

I realize this is a different engine, but I know of many aircooled VW engines designed with 1940's technology that can handle upwards of 12-15 PSI with no modifications. If our engines can't handle something that an engine designed in 1940 could handle we've got big problems boys and girls.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:50 PM
joust75

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
This kit was designed for bolt-on, add extra hp easily, for non-experienced customers. Earlier someone said this does not include fuel management. The ECU will probably not change the injector amount of fuel being pumped in, you would have to buy a programmer to program it to change the amount of fuel entering at a certain time. The rods are weak, but Greddy, Top Secret, and I am sure others have proved that they are good to 400+hp, as long as you don't raise the boost you should be fine. It would be smart to upgrade the rods at least though, especially if you plan on raising the boost. It could, or could not have problems down the road, we need a guinea pig to find out. Some people have had problems with their kit, some haven't, they are using a new s/c so we won't know reliability.

How can a supercharger function without a fuel mgmt kit. wouldnt it end up shoving to lean of a mixture into the engine? Or is our own ecu and fuel injection system able to compensate for 7llbs of boost and under?
Old 06-21-2003, 03:53 PM
jesseenglish

read the post above
Old 06-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by joust75
How can a supercharger function without a fuel mgmt kit. wouldnt it end up shoving to lean of a mixture into the engine? Or is our own ecu and fuel injection system able to compensate for 7llbs of boost and under?
Obviously it's able to compensate. Our ECU is screwed up, it sucks. It is programmed to run the same amount of fuel at a time, the only way to change it is to get a programmer and/or chip. Companies are making these kits taking everything into consideration, they run a certain amount of boost that operates normal with a stock car.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:07 PM
jesseenglish

It comes with fuel management.

Nissan350ZTT if you don't know how the system works please don't spread bad information.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by jesseenglish
It comes with fuel management.

Nissan350ZTT if you don't know how the system works please don't spread bad information.
bad rumors? I read earlier on other posts that it doesn't include fuel management. Even some site price comparison, most don't have it. It's funny why you say this when you are putting together a group buy...
Old 06-21-2003, 04:35 PM
jesseenglish

Yes you are correct there is an ATI kit that comes without the Fuel Management, in that you are correct. That kit is designed for someone to do a custom fuel system. Maybe a reprogrammed ECU with larger injectors or possibly the 7th injector scenario.

Why would you want to buy that setup though unless you're willing to sink some SERIOUS dough into even after you purchase the kit. The kit you're talking about is specifically for Custom jobs and Professional tuner shops.

If they were a custom tuner they certainly wouldn't be asking how the fuel management works on this forum. 99% of the people will be buying the kit with Fuel Management and yes that is the one that organized the group buy around.

I don't know what you're inferring with your comment, but it's unnecessary. I'm not getting anything out of it other than the satisfaction that I've helped others believe it or not.

Quick Reply: 350z Procharger Is Out!!!