Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JWT 530 vs. JWT 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
STOP bringing up the APS kit! I am NOT doing the APS!!! I DON'T want APS. What part don't you understand? I'm thankful for your opinion but you WON'T sell me on APS.

Hahahaha, ^^ Nice post. LMAO. Zivman has always been known for his APS nuthugging, he REALY likes his APS kit, to say the least. I think 20 years from now he will be on here stilling saying APS this, and APS that, LOL.

Just playing around, all in good fun Zivman,

We have installed both (or almost all) these TT kits, I must say Robert, you are making the right choice either way you go.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Can we please keep this on subject?

Pros & Cons of;
JWT 530BB kit vs JWT 700BB kit.
530's
pro - good for stock motor, quick spool
cons - not up to the task of boosting a built motor, too small

700's
pro - good for a built setup, quick spool with a bit of headroom to make power
cons - maybe too much for a stock motor; cost 2-3 grand if you want to upgrade after owning the 530's

my honest advise is to suck it up and build the motor and go with the 700's. if that isn't what you want to do, I would suggest a different kit
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

^^LOL

I want to build the motor... Problem is cash flow. That is why I want to make sure the 700s will be fine for 6-12 months on the stock motor.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Zivman

^^LOL

I want to build the motor... Problem is cash flow. That is why I want to make sure the 700s will be fine for 6-12 months on the stock motor.
Why are you so stuck on the JWT kit when it is fairly obvious it doesn't fit your needs/goals? Both the APS and Greddy kit seem to offer a better solution for your needs.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Zivman
Why are you so stuck on the JWT kit when it is fairly obvious it doesn't fit your needs/goals? Both the APS and Greddy kit seem to offer a better solution for your needs.
STOP!!!

I have my reasons.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

^^^^^ LMAO.... hahahaha. Too funny.

Hey Robert, I got this slightly used (about 4 months of use) APS TT kit I can make you a deal on.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Zivman

STOP!!!

I have my reasons.
so you are cool with waiting on a set of turbos that will be too small for you when you build your motor... then dishing out the money to upgrade to the 700's?

OR

you run a set of turbos too large for your stock motor, pushing very low boost with a fair amount of lag and risk blowing your motor?

if you say yes to either one of those, seems the JWT kit is perfect for you.

my thoughts are you are somehow drawn to the JWT name. You have some misconception that JWT and the Z car go hand in hand like fried chicken and waffles. IMHO JWT was decent at best for the previous gen of Z cars, but he has been outdone by other manufacturers when it comes to boosting the Z33. Like I said, that is my opinion and if you feel JWT is somehow a tuning genious, his kit pwns all others, and you feel your car will some how be more reliable, more noteworthy, get more respect or attention because it has the JWT setup on it, more power to you my friend
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
^^^^^ LMAO.... hahahaha. Too funny.
Hey Robert, I got this slightly used (about 4 months of use) APS TT kit I can make you a deal on.
I curse you!!!

so you are cool with waiting on a set of turbos that will be too small for you when you build your motor... then dishing out the money to upgrade to the 700's?

OR

you run a set of turbos too large for your stock motor, pushing very low boost with a fair amount of lag and risk blowing your motor?

if you say yes to either one of those, seems the JWT kit is perfect for you.

my thoughts are you are somehow drawn to the JWT name. You have some misconception that JWT and the Z car go hand in hand like fried chicken and waffles. IMHO JWT was decent at best for the previous gen of Z cars, but he has been outdone by other manufacturers when it comes to boosting the Z33. Like I said, that is my opinion and if you feel JWT is somehow a tuning genious, his kit pwns all others, and you feel your car will some how be more reliable, more noteworthy, get more respect or attention because it has the JWT setup on it, more power to you my friend
Maybe you need to apply APS wherever you wrote JWT? Move on Zivman, move on.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
DMK

Just get yourself a good boost controller and go with the bigger turbo's. Then turn the boost up when you build your motor. You'll make the same power as the 530's at a lower psi, with just a little more lag.

Are they charging you to upgrade to the 700's or the same price?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Zivman

I curse you!!!

Maybe you need to apply APS wherever you wrote JWT? Move on Zivman, move on.
Say what you will... yes I think APS puts about a better kit, but this isn't about the APS kit being better. it is about how the JWT kit that you are in love with is a bad match for your needs. I can clearly point out the reasons it is, and you have yet to state your reasoning behind not considering other kits that better meet your needs.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Say what you will... yes I think APS puts about a better kit, but this isn't about the APS kit being better. it is about how the JWT kit that you are in love with is a bad match for your needs. I can clearly point out the reasons it is, and you have yet to state your reasoning behind not considering other kits that better meet your needs.
Addd to the ignored list. I think you know you stuff but Jesus Christ you're annoying!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Zivman

Addd to the ignored list. I think you know you stuff but Jesus Christ you're annoying!!!
It clearly has drawbacks in relation to your needs. Maybe if you enlightened us as to why you are drawn to this kit it would be easier to recommend a solution that involves the 530 or 700 turbos. Until you do so, I can't, in good conscience recommend either to you.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aps! Aps! Aps! Aps! ha ha J/K mang. I wouldn't want your car as fast as mine anyway.

700's all the ****ING WAY BRO!

Last edited by Abishop; 01-22-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Abishop
Aps! Aps! Aps! Aps! ha ha J/K mang. I wouldn't want your car as fast as mine anyway.

700's all the ****ING WAY BRO!

Remember there is a fast car and there is a fast driver.

And you're not going to be saying that once my motor is built.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
MOTOWIPEOUT Z

I'm just a noob but,
I was seriously considering the JWT700 before opting to buy my Greddy. I talked to 3 major shops that installed both systems and I called JWT and talked to one of the techs. 2 of the 3 shops advised against it ,SGP said it would be to laggy at a lower psi. Forged advised against stating saftey concerns with the stock motor and the tech @ JWT also stated it would be laggy. Altered Atmosphere said there should be no safety issues with a proper tune and spool up would be faster than a Greddy and slightly slower than the 530's. Maybe you should e-mail a couple of the big shops and see what they say, looks like Relentless has told you what two of the shop told me though. Hope this helps.

BTW... I thought I remember being told that the waste gate springs on the 700bb kit were set @ 8psi. Could be wrong though, I've drank many a beer since then.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 AM
DMK

When is full spool up of:
1) 530BB
2) 700BB
3) 850BB
Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Key fact & question...

1) I DO want to build the motor in the future
2) Will I have any concerns blowing my stock motor with the 700's?
The stock (minimum) spring pressure is around 9 psi with the 700bb turbos (it was 9.3 psi to be exact on my kit). If you leave the stock narrow downpipes and cats on (or keep some backpressure with a smaller exhaust for now), that should keep your power output below 400 whp and be safe enough for your stock motor. Check with your tuner, but a conservative tune and you should be fine as long as you manage the heat (upgraded radiator, fans, pathfinder cooling mod). Reducing the rev limit is another temporary option to help protect your stock motor till you build.

I don't know why Zivman states that the 700bb kit does not fit your needs. Perhaps he was referring to the stock spring pressure, which is on the high side for sure, for a stock motor. Again, if your tuner is comfortable de-tuning it to under 400 whp/wtq then I think you should be fine. Keep in mind the APS turbos have the same issues going from low to high boost, with replacement of the actuators being a necessity to hold high boost. I don't know if you can get a weaker actuator swapped in for the 700bb kit.

I will say that when you go for a built motor and you want to go for high boost, you may want to remove the stock downpipes as they are pretty narrow. I had APS 3.5" test pipes custom fit in there by ForgedPerformance and it helped - alot. That's the only part of the "700bb tuner kit" where I think they could have / should have upgraded (rather than just change out the manifolds and turbos).

Last edited by rcdash; 01-23-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I'm already running the APS 2.5" cat-deletes & Stillen TD exhaust. I'm pretty much sold on doing the upgrade and trying to get some extra shift to build the motor. I just don't know if/when I will be able to build the motor.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ without cats and with that exhaust on a high compression motor, you're gonna be in the 450 whp/wtq ballpark at spring pressure. That's risky imo. Good luck with the project. Most dread the wait/downtime, but because most builds take awhile, you don't usually have to pay it all at once...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I'm waiting for Forged to open so I can talk to someone more about building the motor.

Quick Reply: JWT 530 vs. JWT 700