Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JWT 530 vs. JWT 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Question JWT 530 vs. JWT 700

Please visit post #233; Link Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
GolfinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it! You will want to eventually upgrade, so why not do it now and have more power flexibility for the future. Plus you wont have to spend the money to have the 530s uninstalled and the 700 installed.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Go with the 850's They are even better!
Dont waste your $$$$ on the 530.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

I would not recomend running the 700BB kit on the stock motor, for many reasons. You will not be able to harness or use the power that these turbos will want to make with your stock motors limitations and even if you do change the WG springs to something that will open with less psi, you will still be in the same lag range as a single turbo system.

If you are going to build the motor, you CAN NOT go wrong with the JWT 700BB kit, but with the stock motors limitations, you can't go wrong with the 530BB kit. I have seen both kits on the stock motor. You will be shooting yourself in the foot going with the 700BB kit with your stock motor.... trust me.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
I would not recomend running the 700BB kit on the stock motor, for many reasons. You will not be able to harness or use the power that these turbos will want to make with your stock motors limitations and even if you do change the WG springs to something that will open with less psi, you will still be in the same lag range as a single turbo system.

If you are going to build the motor, you CAN NOT go wrong with the JWT 700BB kit, but with the stock motors limitations, you can't go wrong with the 530BB kit. I have seen both kits on the stock motor. You will be shooting yourself in the foot going with the 700BB kit with your stock motor.... trust me.

I disagree with you there Scotty.

I have driven both setups my self to include the 700 on the street and track.
The 700 are completely fine for a stock motor! I ran 11psi on my stock motor for over a year and dogged the crap out of the car, and had no issues.
With a good tune, you will be more than safe and also have the room to grow at a later date, if you choose to do so. Robert I had the PE TT kit (about the same as 530) before the 850's and I always kicked my self for not getting something bigger. In the end I ended up spending more money on bigger turbos. Dont make the same mistake I made. Get the 700 and save on the long run.

Luie

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 01-22-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My understanding is that the 700bb turbos are similar to the APS standard turbos. Those are used on the stock block all the time. So I don't see why the 700bb is any different. I would vote for the 700bb - a lot cheaper to do it now and a lot more room to grow.

If you want to look at compressor maps, the 530bb are pretty much maxed out around 14 psi (500 rwhp max). The 700bb go to about 21 psi before going too far off the efficiency island (650 rwhp max).

Last edited by rcdash; 01-22-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Givin the same PSI, the 530BB's make MUUCH more usable power than the 700BB's within the limitations of the stock motor.
With a built motor, it is an easy decision....700's all the way, but if you are going to stay with the stock motor you will NO DOUBT make better use of your power with the smallere 530 turbo's. I guarantee it.

EDIT: Well, one thing I did forget to factor in is the octane of gas we are limited to over here vs, other regions. The 91 octane surprisingly has quite a bit more limitations than the 93 oct pump gas you can get other places, I have noticed. That helps quite a bit.

Robert, if you are going to build the motor now, or anytime soon, by all means the 700BB kit is IMO, the best TT kit you can get, but if I had to stick with the stock motor I would no doubt go with the smaller, quicker spooling, more usable power curve of the 530BB's..... especially being here with 91 octane fuel. But I would be a little more willing to maybe opt for the 700BB's IF you plan to build later on, as the 700BB's have alot more headroom for more power later on.

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 01-22-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Key fact & question...

1) I DO want to build the motor in the future
2) Will I have any concerns blowing my stock motor with the 700's?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Key fact & question...

1) I DO want to build the motor in the future
2) Will I have any concerns blowing my stock motor with the 700's?
Going FI will always carry some sort of risk and will increase your chances of blowing your motor, that is a fact and the risk you run. With a conservitive tune at a moderate / low boost and power level....you should be just fine. The details are mostly in the tune though. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Going FI will always carry some sort of risk and will increase your chances of blowing your motor, that is a fact and the risk you run. With a conservitive tune at a moderate / low boost and power level....you should be just fine. The details are mostly in the tune though. Good luck.
And this is where I want to discuss everything with my tuner first. He did mention a low boost tune but I want to talk to him, not e-mail back-and-forth, so I know excately what he's thinking.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

And this is where I want to discuss everything with my tuner first. He did mention a low boost tune but I want to talk to him, not e-mail back-and-forth, so I know excately what he's thinking.
Why not get the APS kit... perfect for stock motor, perfect for built motor - best of both worlds
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Zivman
Why not get the APS kit... perfect for stock motor, perfect for built motor - best of both worlds
Cause I want JWT and not APS. [/end]
Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Zivman

Cause I want JWT and not APS. [/end]
APS is a viable solution... better EMS, better paired turbos with no need to upgrade if you build the motor, better routing of the piping, more asthetically pleasing IC, has matching exhaust components available.... I'm just saying think about it
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Zivman
APS is a viable solution... better EMS, better paired turbos with no need to upgrade if you build the motor, better routing of the piping, more asthetically pleasing IC, has matching exhaust components available.... I'm just saying think about it
I have thought about it. Why I ended up choosing the JWT 530 kit. As far as EMS I'm already running the TXS UTEC. The JWT FMIC is getting BBE coating from Swain Tech & I would be doing the same if I went with any other kit. So IC pleasing to the eye... Don't matter it will be hidden. And we've already discuss the exhaust so [/end] on the exhaust.

This thread is not to compare APS vs. JWT. Its ment to be JWT 530bb vs. JWT 700bb and took make sure I "shouldn't" have any worries about running the 700bb kit.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Zivman

I have thought about it. Why I ended up choosing the JWT 530 kit. As far as EMS I'm already running the TXS UTEC. The JWT FMIC is getting BBE coating from Swain Tech & I would be doing the same if I went with any other kit. So IC pleasing to the eye... Don't matter it will be hidden. And we've already discuss the exhaust so [/end] on the exhaust.

This thread is not to compare APS vs. JWT. Its ment to be JWT 530bb vs. JWT 700bb and took make sure I "shouldn't" have any worries about running the 700bb kit.
Putting the fact that you are getting your IC coated.... I would choose the APS kit based on the sizing of the turbos. There is not a concern about running them on a stock motor. They will make the transition to a built motor with ease... these characteristics are something that the JWT kit lacks. I think the lack of versitility on the JWT setup makes it less appealing. If you were doing a built motor from the start, this really wouldn't be an issue. I would hate to spend the dough on a kit only to have to spend another 2-3 grand on a new set of turbos down the road when I built a motor; but hey, that is just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

STOP bringing up the APS kit! I am NOT doing the APS!!! I DON'T want APS. What part don't you understand? I'm thankful for your opinion but you WON'T sell me on APS.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Canadian
Banned

^^Have you read Robert's sig? LOL
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Zivman

STOP bringing up the APS kit! I am NOT doing the APS!!! I DON'T want APS. What part don't you understand? I'm thankful for your opinion but you WON'T sell me on APS.
forget the APS.... just stating that the JWT kit doesn't seem to fit your needs. You have plans down the road to build your motor, but still want to run a stock motor for some time. It has been advised the 700's aren't a good match for you stock motor, and the 530's are not a good match for a built motor. if you are cool with waiting for the 530s to be available and then dish out the 2-3 grand for the 700's when the time comes to build your motor, then it sounds like the perfect kit for you....

Good luck with your decision
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Can we please keep this on subject?

Pros & Cons of;
JWT 530BB kit vs JWT 700BB kit.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This EXACTLY how it was explained to me when I went F/I. Wanted to upgrade turbos but was advised to go with the 530's. When the block is built THEN I will be able to effectively use the power of the larger turbos. If I had the funds to built the block ABD get the JWT TT set-up at the same time the choice would have been clear ...at least 700's MAYBE even 850's!!!!

It seemed a reasonable theory to me so I went in that direction. Time and patience will get the results that I want without havine engine failure.

Last edited by z350boy; 01-22-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: JWT 530 vs. JWT 700