Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Changes to FI

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the "you have to choose what sub-forum you want" idea. I dont click on the shop builds now only the regular forum....
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its kinda the same reason the regular engine /all motor section always gets left out on the way to the FI section.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
its kinda the same reason the regular engine /all motor section always gets left out on the way to the FI section.

not a whole lot to say about engines when its not an FI related issue though....
i mean its usually stock VQ, how to install an MD spacer. N/A dynos...bugs&fixes, powersteering...etc
Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
i got an idea..

maybe FI should be a Sub Forum with no posting

so under Forced Induction you have

General Information
Shop Builds
FI FAQ
Production Information

that way anyone who clicks on Forced Induction has no choice but to choose one of the 4 .. so you won't get lost in the general area and not click the Shop Builds Forum
That's a good idea, and to add to that, I would suggest adding a line of HTML to the description of the FI forum that does a search of the entire forum and brings up the latest posts. Then people who don't want to have to go through each subforum can do so with a single click.

Look, I'll even show you how it would work and give you the code.
https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=1000&f=182

Forced Induction
Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost? (View all posts)
Sub-Forums: FI FAQ's, Product Announcements, Shop Builds
Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by helldorado
That's a good idea, and to add to that, I would suggest adding a line of HTML to the description of the FI forum that does a search of the entire forum and brings up the latest posts. Then people who don't want to have to go through each subforum can do so with a single click.

Look, I'll even show you how it would work and give you the code.
https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=1000&f=182

Forced Induction
Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost? (View all posts)
Sub-Forums: FI FAQ's, Product Announcements, Shop Builds

Kinda similar to what i wanted to see in the Homepage...have it customizable to each user, they can choose FI(lastest 20 posts) OT(lastest 20posts ) posts).....etc etc.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't see why people just don't click on stuff they don't want to see. Now I have to click on four separate forums just to see what's going on. Seems like a bigger PITA than just overlooking the threads I'm not interested in.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by taurran
I really don't see why people just don't click on stuff they don't want to see. Now I have to click on four separate forums just to see what's going on. Seems like a bigger PITA than just overlooking the threads I'm not interested in.

i am sure wasting 1 second more it takes you to click on the mouse to get to the sub forums , plus the extra 5 seconds it takes you to load the page is killing you, lets not forgot the arthritis your finger must be suffering every extra click you have to do now.

lets lighten up a bit...unfortunantly the previous system hasnt worked very well... I think we can colaborate with some ideas to get the exposure the FI forums needs while still keeping things organized, like helldorados idea
ans philty said, changes are happening, if it doesnt work it can be changed again. But lets give the admins a lil room to organize things

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-30-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the new subforums. Instead of clicking the FI section and seeing the page half full of shop build threads that are 500 pages of "wow, great numbers!" and what not, I see actual questions and issues posted by regular members.

And if I do need to see a shop thread that contains info useful to me, I know just where to find it.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I love the new subforums. Instead of clicking the FI section and seeing the page half full of shop build threads that are 500 pages of "wow, great numbers!" and what not, I see actual questions and issues posted by regular members.

And if I do need to see a shop thread that contains info useful to me, I know just where to find it.
+1
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 to the 4 subforums idea. I think the subforums idea is a very good one even if you leave it the way it is and people will learn where to go.

I think merging threads on a per car basis is a very bad idea. It is a lot harder to find relevant information. Like I can't find BamBam's dyno plot after he switched from JWT to GTM cams. His single car thread became a monster. And alberto had a nice thread on the 3.3 final drive swap. Completely different that his other threads. Hope you will reconsider un-merging.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
+1 to the 4 subforums idea. I think the subforums idea is a very good one even if you leave it the way it is and people will learn where to go.
Still undecided on the 4 subforums part.....

Originally Posted by rcdash
I think merging threads on a per car basis is a very bad idea. It is a lot harder to find relevant information. Like I can't find BamBam's dyno plot after he switched from JWT to GTM cams. His single car thread became a monster. And alberto had a nice thread on the 3.3 final drive swap. Completely different that his other threads. Hope you will reconsider un-merging.
.....but I totally agree with this^^^^

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I love the changes to the FI section, but I'm also not sure I like the "one car, one thread only" idea in the shop build section. I think it will make it difficult to find info (about mods, fabrication, products used, problems/issues, etc.) if the build/car project significantly changes over time.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggested this awhile ago, very happy to see it take shape.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are some of the previous FI FAQ's going back into the FI FAQ section eventually?

anyway, if my vortech FAQ does make it in there, I'd like to have it edited so I have all info in sequence one post after the other (posts 1, 2, 3, and 17) with maybe 2 more posts reserved for me to add to. Right now I've maxed out my word count on the first few pages and can't add anything new without spreading the posts apart instead of having them all in sequence at the beginning

on another note, it'd be neat if there was a FAQ for each of the FI kits with common issues etc they have

Last edited by sentry65; 02-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Like most people here, I usually subscribe to threads that have important information to me in them. That way I can click on all my subscribed threads and find all my interesting posts.

I recently tried to Subscribe to a thread in the FI -> Product Announcements forum and could not do it. I got the following vBulletin message:

Originally Posted by vBulletin Message

Sorry! This forum is not accepting new posts.
Apparently you've locked down the PA forum to stop people from posting. Unfortunately, it also stops people from subscribing. Maybe it has to be this way... Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
IIQuickSilverII

so when will the "product announcement" sub section be open to the public to post
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

NEVER lol JK i will get in touch with kyle hes been busy getting the g35 server back up he is the only one that can open it i dont have that power =/
Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still dont think its fair to have 1 thread per car. People in the off topic (or any other area on the forums) area who contribute NOTHING have the ability to start a new thread everyday on something stupid. We spend $$$$, share knowledge and info, good and bad experiences and we cant start seperate threads when worthy? Using myself as an example-some threads Ive had in the past 15 months or so:

*Got my car back from Forged
*Installed 3.3FD my review, and info
*Went to the track destroyed a tranny-DONT powershift, laugh at my vid
*Return to the track here is what I ran, issues are so and so, this i show I plan to fix them for anybody else having the same problem

Maybe soon, "Rd 2 of mods, here are results and what I did"

My point is merging all of that into 1 thread will make it VERY hard and take tons of time for anybody looking for info to find. In the end it makes it harder for anybody actually using the search feature and degrades the threads, they each have a point to them.

Now I dont agree with these type of people/threads and the people that go through this process :

*What FI should I get?
*Decided on XXX kit! Yay for me"
*Car is in the shop will be out soon, here is one bad pic
*Here are my results

Who sees my point?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
IIQuickSilverII

i am not that much of a fan of the 1 car per thread too.,..but i guess one should be carefull not to jsut make a whole new thread over some simpler modification
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I still dont think its fair to have 1 thread per car. People in the off topic (or any other area on the forums) area who contribute NOTHING have the ability to start a new thread everyday on something stupid. We spend $$$$, share knowledge and info, good and bad experiences and we cant start seperate threads when worthy? Using myself as an example-some threads Ive had in the past 15 months or so:

*Got my car back from Forged
*Installed 3.3FD my review, and info
*Went to the track destroyed a tranny-DONT powershift, laugh at my vid
*Return to the track here is what I ran, issues are so and so, this i show I plan to fix them for anybody else having the same problem

Maybe soon, "Rd 2 of mods, here are results and what I did"

My point is merging all of that into 1 thread will make it VERY hard and take tons of time for anybody looking for info to find. In the end it makes it harder for anybody actually using the search feature and degrades the threads, they each have a point to them.

Now I dont agree with these type of people/threads and the people that go through this process :

*What FI should I get?
*Decided on XXX kit! Yay for me"
*Car is in the shop will be out soon, here is one bad pic
*Here are my results

Who sees my point?
I agree 100%. Big changes, updates, how-to, etc should be individual threads. It gets very hard to find info when everything is merged to one thread considering their length.