Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

JWT 530 Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Mr350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT 530 Kit Questions

Hey guys, Was hoping you guys could help with some JWT questions. I been lurking these forums for quite some time (actually before 350Z launched) and finally purchased a JWT equipped 350Z. I have a NA 05 but this car ('03) is a completely different animal. It's one of the early JWT cars and that's why I have some questions. Internals are stock and the tune seems to be real conservative. Turbo has been on for less than 8K miles and was installed by JWT. Feels like it's about ~350ish to the wheel. More on that in a sec. It's the 530 kit and came with the infamous SS box. According to JWT, the early cars came with an analog box vs the newer digital boxes....so it looks like it has an adjustment for timing, in fact the guy I bought it from showed me the 91 tune and the 100 octane tune (small dial on the box in the footwell). There's another dial next to it...but don't know what that does and am not touching it. It's at the 91 mark/tune until I do a little more research on the car. Is anyone familiar with the box and what both dials do? I'm assuming one dial pulls out/adds timing while the other adjusts fuel. This car will predominantly be a track car and will always get 100 octane, but wanted to get some insight into the box and the adjustments.

It has an Autometer boost guage that shows it hitting 9psi, but am having the car looked at tomorrow to check against other guages as this is bone stock JWT kit and should be around 7 psi. Are the Autometer gauges known for being optimistic?

On a related note, the car has cats and was wondering if anyone has seen boost spikes when removing the cats and adding test pipes...I assume boost may rise a bit, but will probably re-tune when test pipes are put in. Also, what is everyone's experience with the plenum spacer on an FI kit. I have the MREV2 on my 05 (spacer plus reworked stock plenum), on that car it added about 6 rwhp and wanted to know what type of gains people have seen on an FI car.

Thanks so much guys.
John
Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
TheCajunStyle

Sounds like you have a proto? anyways, not sure about the dials... I'd suggest removing the cats just for the fact of keeping your EGTs low. The boost spike is negligible.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you still have your old revup plenum - that may work better on a boosted car - according to some. Keep track of your A/F and boost as you make changes. Retuning is safest, but you may want to consider new EMS, esp since UTEC can be found quite inexpensively these days (many people upgrading).
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Mr350Z

Thanks for the advice guys, it will be used pretty exclusively as a track car, running at local events here in the SC area..ie: Willow, BW etc..., so the car is going on serious diet and getting a cage in the near future once the car gets dialed in. My primary concern right now is to make sure the VQ doesn't grenade. Assuming I stick with the existing set-up on the engine, what's the advantage of switching to a UTEC or e-manage? If I'm just adjusting timing and fuel then all I may need is this SS box, granted when I build the motor later on it will probably make sense to change.

I'll probably throw in the plenum spacer and test pipes and call it a day. That should put me somewhere around 390-400 rwp which is fine for now. Getting the car on a diet and doing my research on suspension is probably a better use of my time. WA2GOOD (sorry don't know your name) Which suspension set-up are guys using? I was looking at the KWs...or the HKS Hipermax series. I have buddies with the HKS set-up but am not sure it's agressive enough for track use. Motons are also nice, but kinda pricey.

Thanks again....
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
vqturbotec

It has an Autometer boost guage that shows it hitting 9psi, but am having the car looked at tomorrow to check against other guages as this is bone stock JWT kit and should be around 7 psi. Are the Autometer gauges known for being optimistic?

[/quote]

I beleive the first jwt kits or the first kits made for the track were set at 9psi.A friend of mine has a set of those turbos that run 9psi wastgate boost.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay on the OPs topic people
Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Azreen Khan

The standard JWT 530bb kits will run for 1/4 Mile in what time?
Standard Boost 6.8Psi? 13sec?
how about boost to 14Psi? 12 sec?