Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anti-Cavitation Additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM
MADScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anti-Cavitation Additives

We all know how much a PITA the cooling system is on the Z/G... I am thinking about using some of this additive that almost every disiel engine uses to help present cavitation in the engine. Seems like it would help since the VQ35DE seems to have a poblem with this at high rpm and lots of power.

My question is has anyone else tried this on a gasoline engine? I do not see why it would not work, but when you look at this type of additive it is listed to disiel aplications not gasoline.

Engine builders out there, your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I know that Evan's Coolant helps prevent cavitation, have you looked into that product too?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 AM
MADScientist

I have not... But I will now!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by meatbag
I know that Evan's Coolant helps prevent cavitation, have you looked into that product too?
+100000......I use it and it really helps...keeps my temps below 190.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
MADScientist

$32.50 per gallon!!! dang that must me some good stuff!

I am not sure if I will go that route yet. Since it does require you to completely drain the block and heater core in order for the Evans NPG+ to work effectively.

How about Redline Water Wetter? Does anyone know if it has anti-cavitation additives? That would be a lot less expensive and less involved way to go at $9.99 for a bottle. Worth a shot if it prevents foaming.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenefic
$32.50 per gallon!!! dang that must me some good stuff!

I am not sure if I will go that route yet. Since it does require you to completely drain the block and heater core in order for the Evans NPG+ to work effectively.

How about Redline Water Wetter? Does anyone know if it has anti-cavitation additives? That would be a lot less expensive and less involved way to go at $9.99 for a bottle. Worth a shot if it prevents foaming.
Well i know you guys hate the stillen but they said to use it in there system for what they called anti cavitation.I still use it with the greddy twin set up.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

My 2 cent on Evans.....

I have ran that coolant in my car since y build, and I have ran my car to temp over 250 in track conditions wide open at high rpms. I belive once the Evens get hot it stays hot, as temps never came down under 200. I don't care if my temp run hot @ track conditions. I am sticking with this coolant it has not let me down. What my car has done in such a short time and the miles I have on it (8K), not to mention the way I drive it on the street, and this coolant maybe being a small factor in keeping everything in good working order, I would def go with the Evens.

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 03-17-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,277 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Water Wetter is a surfactant... it breaks down the surface tension of the water. This helps prevent bubbles and cavitation. It allows the water molecules to better stay in contact with the metal surfaces in the engine, absorbing more heat.

It's chemically similar to the stuff we used to use in our fire engine water tanks. It would allow the water to soak into the wood, rather than beading up on the surface of it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
thawk408

I thought the evans was meant to run hotter, not reduce coolant temps?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Fleet Z

The cooling system additive (DCA, SCA) added to diesel engines is to protect the cylinder liners. Resonance produced by the piston running up and down the cylinder wall in a diesel engine causes air bubbles to form on the outside of the liner in the cooling jacket area. As the bubbles "implode", very small amounts of the liner are eaten away. Eventually, the liners are perforated and antifreeze/coolant leaks in the cylinder. End result....an oil pan full of antifreeze.

The cooling additive forms a protective coating on the cylinder and prevents the erosion problem.

I would see no advantage to adding this chemical to your cooling system considering the fact that the gasoline engine in your Z is a parent bore engine...no liners.

Last edited by Fleet Z; 03-18-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Water Wetter is a surfactant... it breaks down the surface tension of the water. This helps prevent bubbles and cavitation. It allows the water molecules to better stay in contact with the metal surfaces in the engine, absorbing more heat.

It's chemically similar to the stuff we used to use in our fire engine water tanks. It would allow the water to soak into the wood, rather than beading up on the surface of it.
Thanks for the explanation! I am going to try this first and see if it helps. Evans is the next step, just a lot of work to put it in...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by Fleet Z

I would see no advantage to adding this chemical to your cooling system considering the fact that the gasoline engine in your Z is a parent bore engine...no liners.

Actually that is why I was asking this particular question... I have Darton Sleeves installed in this block and thought this may apply here.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Darton recommends Evans

I have the stuff here just have not felt like putting it in, as it is a pain to drain and flush with the water remover stuff. And after having issues with the sleeve installation and wasting 3-4 gallons of the stuff (not cheap) I was waiting to see if the engine was fine this time around before wasting the money on it a second time.

The Evans runs hotter but the idea is that it is removing more heat from the engine therefore runs hotter, I don't know there are arguments for both sides of the fence.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I Also have noticed that when purging my motor (every two weeks) I find that there is a noticeable less amount of air in my motor than just using regular coolant??