Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Have Extra $, Looking to do FI, SC? Vortech, Stillen or ATI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
The amount of kits out there now are much more powerfull and just as reliable as the stillen when properly tuned so it is a no brainer imho.
Yeah, thats what i figured. If the kit i get is tuned just right i wont be suffering any of the blown motors like the stories i've read or heard about so far. Plus i dont beat the crap out of my car, and i take amazing care of my engine. I'd really punch it when i wanted to have some fun on highways, or if i catch a nice race.

And I know the Vortech so far has not seen much of its share in destroying motors, just didnt want that extra labor to install tapped oil lines for it to run. I wanted something easy to install, or remove in a jiffy, with out the worry of pluggin holes.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 04-10-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Yeah, thats what i figured. If the kit i get is tuned just right i wont be suffering any of the blown motors like the stories i've read or heard about so far. Plus i dont beat the crap out of my car, and i take amazing care of my engine. I'd really punch it when i wanted to have some fun on highways, or if i catch a nice race.

And I know the Vortech so far has not seen much of its share in destroying motors, just didnt want that extra labor to install tapped oil lines for it to run. I wanted something easy to install, or remove in a jiffy, with out the worry of pluggin holes.
How about you get one of these...

Comes pre-drilled for oil lines. No need to tap the block, and bolts in and out if you ever want to remove.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SEARCH !!!!

LOL. JK.
Vortech Tuner with Utec or Haltech
440 or 600 deatchwerks
Walbro 255
Dual Exhaust
Headers
Test Pipes
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by SlideFox
How about you get one of these...

Comes pre-drilled for oil lines. No need to tap the block, and bolts in and out if you ever want to remove.
yeah i thought about that as well. The problem with spacing my oil pan would be that i' d loose out on the Body brace that goes right under my pan. I wanted to keep the brace for handling, so im kinda SOL and in a dilemma. Drives me nuts having to make decisions. Im going to throw them in a hate n w/e i pick i'll buy!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i thought about that as well. The problem with spacing my oil pan would be that i' d loose out on the Body brace that goes right under my pan.
GT SPEC released the new front tie brace that clears larger/spaced oil pans. So no excuse.

Besides, I've had that brace and took it off, I think you are kidding yourself if you think it makes any significant difference in the Z's chassis rigidity.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Everybodywildou

What part of Jersey are you from?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
What part of Jersey are you from?
From East Bruns.
Got repair shops in Milltown/No. Bruns.

And your right Spoiled, it's probably all in my mind, but if you believe it works then it will!

Im going to wait till the guy from Jiffy Lube down the road Put his ATI in and see whats up with it. He actually wants me to do the fueling install for him. So i'll get to see 1st hand what it takes with the ATI kit. I did tell him about MRC as well, to get it tuned after from them.

Julian man i was only kidding about the not answering the phone! I know you guys always get back to me pretty quick. In fact im sending you some customer's of mine to get tuned as well.

My Gas attendant was telling me that someone in a White Z came in other night with either a SC or a Turbo? Anyone hit up a BP in the No Bruns area with that? I'd like to check it out.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Everybodywildou

From East Bruns.
Got repair shops in Milltown/No. Bruns.

And your right Spoiled, it's probably all in my mind, but if you believe it works then it will!

Im going to wait till the guy from Jiffy Lube down the road Put his ATI in and see whats up with it. He actually wants me to do the fueling install for him. So i'll get to see 1st hand what it takes with the ATI kit. I did tell him about MRC as well, to get it tuned after from them.

Julian man i was only kidding about the not answering the phone! I know you guys always get back to me pretty quick. In fact im sending you some customer's of mine to get tuned as well.

My Gas attendant was telling me that someone in a White Z came in other night with either a SC or a Turbo? Anyone hit up a BP in the No Bruns area with that? I'd like to check it out.
I did... but mine is silver.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
I did... but mine is silver.
that was you? Nice. windows tinted as well? Stop in one day, im here 8-6 at night sometimes later depending.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to go supercharger since I am a turbo guy I would def get Vortech............nuff said.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Dr. Venture

alright then you've all made up my mind for me. Vortech it is!!!
If it's a bad choice i'll be coming to see u all!! haha.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
taurran

alright then you've all made up my mind for me. Vortech it is!!!
If it's a bad choice i'll be coming to see u all!! haha.
Glad we could help. You'll be happy we did later.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
05Z33

Good choice. I just bought a Vortech recently and it's going on in one week from today. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
chaparro78

Vortech - have over 60,000 miles on mine.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by chaparro78
Vortech - have over 60,000 miles on mine.

Ok im good on that mileage!! 2 questions. Can you tell me what came with your kit? I know im reading all about it, but i just like some reassurance.

And, lets say i have the UR pulley Kit, i would have to remove it and go back to stock b4 i install the Vortech correct?

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 04-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 AM
chaparro78

Ok im good on that mileage!! 2 questions. Can you tell me what came with your kit? I know im reading all about it, but i just like some reassurance.

And, lets say i have the UR pulley Kit, i would have to remove it and go back to stock b4 i install the Vortech correct?

I don't know if I typed it so it was well understood, but I have over 60,000 miles ran on my vortech. Bought my car in 03, installed the Vortech in summer of 04 with 15K miles on it. Car has 76k miles on it now

You dont want to underdrive a supercharger, u lose power.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by chaparro78
I don't know if I typed it so it was well understood, but I have over 60,000 miles ran on my vortech. Bought my car in 03, installed the Vortech in summer of 04 with 15K miles on it. Car has 76k miles on it now

You dont want to underdrive a supercharger, u lose power.
yeah thats cool, i got what you were saying.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thats cool, i got what you were saying.
Big PLUS 1 do not use underdrive pulleys.And btw most of them cause other problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I see that ATI is still getting a bum rap, till today. ATI Procharger was my first FI blower back in the early days when one didn't have any choice about which FI; but I must say that I had a great time with it. Never blew a single darn window in my block, just head gaskets but who cares, that was my fail safe device........I need to pass my time till twin turbos made their presence in our particular market.

The Procharge is self contained, with its own proprietary lubricant and cooling, which was what attracted me in the first place. It was a powerful and efficient little blower with optional tuner pulleys. Which meant more problems, as people being people, it is only expected that we push the envelop without a comparable engine built and management system. The obvious happens, as lots of people began punching windows in their VQs.

The Procharger is known for its boost power and is an expensive maintenance blower, as well; Chews through belts, especially the cog belt. I kept lots of spare cog and serpentine belts change the pulleys once in a while and I replace the lubricant often, as I always ordered few boxes at a time.

The Procharger itself is well built, however, the pipes, connections, the system fabrication was more a slap stick kind of job, connect the dots. The system was not thought out enough. The only component that was custom made for the Z & G were the intercooler and the blower brackets.

Some installations, required cutting into the lip of the frame and most always, cutting into the wheel well, it did not fit well to contours of the VQ. Not easy to fully drain the oil when replacing with fresh lubricant can be done but depends on the individual ingenuity level. In adequate tracking pulleys for the belts is the chief cause of pulverized belts and drive gears.

The Vortech, however, is very well built for the VQ35DE and it has an extremely effective and efficient drive pulley system. But it requires sharing your engine oil, which meant drilling a hole into your block or pan. The Vortech is a better system in some ways, but still not the best.

The other 2 options left would be the single or twin turbo systems; but that it gets more involved. Turbos are more durable, reliable and efficient and require more precision in its choice of management systems.

I remember during a very late night/early morning drive home from a meet in Maine my FMU was mal functioning. I noticed it first when I sensed the detonations, was not certain the first time it happened, but tried carefully increasing my boost twice but eventually convinced when I did notice that my FMU boost indicator lights were not lighting up, therefore no signals going to my inline fuel pump.

The solution was so very easy, removed the cog belt and presto the car purred like an N/A for the rest of the ride home; it would not be that easy with turbo/s.

What are your objectives to go FI and why the Procharger; or why the Vortech if it need be?

G
Old 04-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
I see that ATI is still getting a bum rap, till today. ATI Procharger was my first FI blower back in the early days when one didn't have any choice about which FI; but I must say that I had a great time with it. Never blew a single darn window in my block, just head gaskets but who cares, that was my fail safe device........I need to pass my time till twin turbos made their presence in our particular market.

The Procharge is self contained, with its own proprietary lubricant and cooling, which was what attracted me in the first place. It was a powerful and efficient little blower with optional tuner pulleys. Which meant more problems, as people being people, it is only expected that we push the envelop without a comparable engine built and management system. The obvious happens, as lots of people began punching windows in their VQs.

The Procharger is known for its boost power and is an expensive maintenance blower, as well; Chews through belts, especially the cog belt. I kept lots of spare cog and serpentine belts change the pulleys once in a while and I replace the lubricant often, as I always ordered few boxes at a time.

The Procharger itself is well built, however, the pipes, connections, the system fabrication was more a slap stick kind of job, connect the dots. The system was not thought out enough. The only component that was custom made for the Z & G were the intercooler and the blower brackets.

Some installations, required cutting into the lip of the frame and most always, cutting into the wheel well, it did not fit well to contours of the VQ. Not easy to fully drain the oil when replacing with fresh lubricant can be done but depends on the individual ingenuity level. In adequate tracking pulleys for the belts is the chief cause of pulverized belts and drive gears.

The Vortech, however, is very well built for the VQ35DE and it has an extremely effective and efficient drive pulley system. But it requires sharing your engine oil, which meant drilling a hole into your block or pan. The Vortech is a better system in some ways, but still not the best.

The other 2 options left would be the single or twin turbo systems; but that it gets more involved. Turbos are more durable, reliable and efficient and require more precision in its choice of management systems.

I remember during a very late night/early morning drive home from a meet in Maine my FMU was mal functioning. I noticed it first when I sensed the detonations, was not certain the first time it happened, but tried carefully increasing my boost twice but eventually convinced when I did notice that my FMU boost indicator lights were not lighting up, therefore no signals going to my inline fuel pump.

The solution was so very easy, removed the cog belt and presto the car purred like an N/A for the rest of the ride home; it would not be that easy with turbo/s.

What are your objectives to go FI and why the Procharger; or why the Vortech if it need be?

G
I just wanted some simple and easy as far as a little more power with the least problems of installment. I dont want to go crazy with turbo's, so figured a SC would be the best way to go.
All those problems you talked about with the ATI. Wouldn't you think by now they've fixed all or at least some of those issues?
BTW~Ordered the Vortech!

Quick Reply: Have Extra $, Looking to do FI, SC? Vortech, Stillen or ATI?