Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

installed my vortech today

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:09 PM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'll try to get bigger ones. I had help from a friend, thank god for that. I still have not driven the car so it's killing me. I'm going to Japtrix on the 23rd for my tune. They are going to try and squeeze me in earlier if they have an open spot.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
nice bud i do all my work to but not be ignorant or anything but its not going ot be enuff for you i was procharger for 8 months and it was fun but once you drvie a turbo or twin turbo z your vortech wont be enough but congrats on the install thats a pretty good time on install

Ahhh!! The oneupper!!

Being a Stillen owner, i'm very familiar with these! lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2oJclp0CjUE

There's ALWAYS something better out there. Go drive an Enzo, and i bet your Z will suck then!!

To the OP congrats!! And enjoy your new setup!!!

Last edited by halfass872; 04-20-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the sway bar moves. wouldnt zip tie anything to it.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:23 PM
05Z33

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the sway bar moves. wouldnt zip tie anything to it.
How much movement are we talking about? I left the zip tie loose for that reason. I'll see if there is a better spot in the morning.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
turismo

Congrats on the install. You saved yourself about 1000-1500 dollars
Old 04-20-2008, 08:33 PM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by pimpin714style
i thought it wasnt good to go past 360whp on stock internals?? i could be wrong though

I have over 60,000 miles on my vortech with stock internals, stock clutch, no issues
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
nice bud i do all my work to but not be ignorant or anything but its not going ot be enuff for you i was procharger for 8 months and it was fun but once you drvie a turbo or twin turbo z your vortech wont be enough but congrats on the install thats a pretty good time on install

i know, i took that long just to change out my valve cover gaskets
Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by 05Z33
What I did is I ran it down the between the a/c line and the intake up-pipe on the driver side, then I secured it to the sway bar with a zip tie. I left the zip tie loose so that there would be some play. Now my question to you is the hose that was connected to the OEM intake, which is now connected to the air filter, how did you run that, cause I fought like hell to get this on. What is the point of having this on the air filter? Is there an alternative to this?
Crap...that's the way i should have run mine. I broke the white clip for the a/c hard line so that i could run the return line under the hard line and behind the up-pipe. I couldn't go over it, since it would have caused an upward kink in the return line. But it was so hard to get the damn hose on the fitting that I just ran it around the up-pipe towards the motor. It's zip-tied in there just fine (close to the a/c pulley), but I'm afraid it might kink. I'm considering rerouting it now...we'll see.

As for the crankcase breather hose from the driver's side to the vortech filter. That has to go on there otherwise the engine will be sucking in unfiltered air under low-load, and the vortech won't be sucking air out of that tube under boost (the PCV valve will be closed - and the only place for the blow-by pressure to go is out the driver's side breather).

However, I went a completely different route. I ran a hose out of the vortech filter and over into the PCV valve on the passenger side (going through a catch can first). I then put a vacuum cap on the intake manifold where the PCV hose hooked up to. Then I just put a breather filter on the driver's side crankcase breather. This way the Vortech should always be pulling air out of the hose hooked up to the PCV valve, and air will always be sucked in through the driver's side breather. However, if I disconnect the Vortech for some reason, i'm going to route the PCV valve back into the intake manifold since the Vortech wouldn't be creating vacuum in that line anymore.

I'm going to test this out right away when I first fire it up, so I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by chaparro78
I have over 60,000 miles on my vortech with stock internals, stock clutch, no issues
That's good to hear!!! 60,000 miles with the Vortech on? Or just 60,000 miles on the motor?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by JonnyC
That's good to hear!!! 60,000 miles with the Vortech on? Or just 60,000 miles on the motor?
77,000 miles on motor, i installed the Vortech with 14k miles, So the Vortech itself has 63K miles on it
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
JonnyC

Damn man, that's awesome!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does feel good to install the kit yourself and you get to no the ins and outs if there are problems down the road.............Congrats on installing it yourself.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
express705

nice man, im installing my kit this week and probably taking mine to japtrix as well. shoot me a PM if you want
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job on the install!
That I/C is soooo cute. =)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Good job on the install!
That I/C is soooo cute. =)
haha! Oh how I wish Vortech offered a bigger IC.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
05Z33

I was going to go with a larger I/C but I've dropped so much money into this already. I'm going to hold off on this for another time, and I'll upgrade other things the with it. Maybe a 3.9 FD and LSD.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by chaparro78
Cruising or hard driven miles?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Crap...that's the way i should have run mine. I broke the white clip for the a/c hard line so that i could run the return line under the hard line and behind the up-pipe. I couldn't go over it, since it would have caused an upward kink in the return line. But it was so hard to get the damn hose on the fitting that I just ran it around the up-pipe towards the motor. It's zip-tied in there just fine (close to the a/c pulley), but I'm afraid it might kink. I'm considering rerouting it now...we'll see.

As for the crankcase breather hose from the driver's side to the vortech filter. That has to go on there otherwise the engine will be sucking in unfiltered air under low-load, and the vortech won't be sucking air out of that tube under boost (the PCV valve will be closed - and the only place for the blow-by pressure to go is out the driver's side breather).

However, I went a completely different route. I ran a hose out of the vortech filter and over into the PCV valve on the passenger side (going through a catch can first). I then put a vacuum cap on the intake manifold where the PCV hose hooked up to. Then I just put a breather filter on the driver's side crankcase breather. This way the Vortech should always be pulling air out of the hose hooked up to the PCV valve, and air will always be sucked in through the driver's side breather. However, if I disconnect the Vortech for some reason, i'm going to route the PCV valve back into the intake manifold since the Vortech wouldn't be creating vacuum in that line anymore.

I'm going to test this out right away when I first fire it up, so I'll let you know how it works out.
You might want to re-think your pcv setup! with the way you are running your breather system you are evacuating the crankcase of excess gas by pulling atmospheric air in and pulling it out through your pvc check valve then through the catch can and back into the inlet side of the s/c ( negative pressure source forward of the s/c) that is good! but you are not supplying a negative pressure/vacume source to the crank case itself. your setup is just flowing the air through the engine, it is not providing a definate negative pressure source to the crank case. with you not doing this positive ring seal is not being accomplished and may lead to slightly more oil consumption. it has been proven by some drag racing teams that when a vacume pump was installed on a engines pcv system in a closed loop( not open to the atmosphere ) and pulling around 7 to 10 Hg's of negitive pressure/vacume they had a increase of around 5 hp at the wheels! This is the way i run my pcv system on my vortech and it seems to work very well, it is similar to yours in a way.
on the pcv valve ( r/h ) valve cover i punched out the check valve portion turning it into a crank vent essentialy, then capped off the port on the lower plenum. i ran my hose from the crank vent to the inlet side of my catch can then the outlet line to the forward side of the supercharger in a port i installed on my veleocity stack just aft of the air filter on my custom CAI. the large breather line on the back of the ( l/h ) valve cover was run to the inlet side of a additional catch can and the outlet side was plumbed to another port i installed into the intake tract of the supercharger. the way this is run the engine acts as a sealed unit and i can pull vacume on the crank case and provide positive ring seal. i have noted since i performed this mod that my oil consumption has dwindled basically down to nothing and my catch cans virtually have hardly no oil in them. i check the catch cans every other oil change or evey 6000 miles. i can take pic's if you would like. Bye the way ford runs a crank case vacume pump on the 03 to 04 s/c cobras! if a O.E.M does this it must amount to something. just my

Last edited by JET MECH; 04-22-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
supernadc2
Banned

Wow congrats on the install man people like u deserve ***** out rewards =) hehe i dont have access to the utilites i need to do the job but i dont think i would have the ***** to either just one of those guys who does well in school but give me something to take apart and i will make sure it never fits or works the same hahaha..
And for u guys doing 60k miles on ur vortechs.. u give me new hope!! What kind of drivers are u? My z is not a daily driver but when i take her out i open her up atleast 2-3 times at full throttle. But thats like once or twice a week. I wouldnt shoot for more than about 400whp plus or minus some.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM
05Z33

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. The install is really not so difficult. I had help from a friend and good tips from other members on this site (JonnyC). All you really need are basic hand tools a buddy and some beer. Tomorrow is the big day, I'm going to Japtrix for a tune at 10:00am. I will finally get to drive my FI Z. I'll post the dyno results when I get back.

Quick Reply: installed my vortech today