Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Snow performance vs Coolingmist Vari-cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
I am going to install, someday, the Snow performance MAF kit which can be triggered by the Fcon rather then the boost controlled kit.
Thats the setup FP is doing for me. I feel safe with the Fcon running things.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any place to fit the Snow tank in the engine bay? Or would it just be better to move the low-level switch into the wiper fluid tank and use that as the reservoir? I think i've used my wiper fluid twice anyways - this thing almost never sees the rain. I just don't want to have to run water lines all of the way from the trunk.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by XKR
Thats the setup FP is doing for me. I feel safe with the Fcon running things.
yeap it is nice, you can use the Fcon to trigger the voltage to the Meth kit and this triggers the additional maps and by hooking up the low level sensor it will prevent those maps from kicking in if low on Meth
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Is there any place to fit the Snow tank in the engine bay? Or would it just be better to move the low-level switch into the wiper fluid tank and use that as the reservoir? I think i've used my wiper fluid twice anyways - this thing almost never sees the rain. I just don't want to have to run water lines all of the way from the trunk.

Doesn't your windshield reservoir has a low level indicator that lights up in your dash when low? I know the G35 has them.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by athenG
Doesn't your windshield reservoir has a low level indicator that lights up in your dash when low? I know the G35 has them.
I'm not even sure - I'll check it out when he head home this weekend. That would be pretty nice though.

Dammit - I have to stop thinking about spending more money! Sometime down the road I might get it...I just need to get it up and running first, haha.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 AM
athenG

/\
I think it is well worth it!! It gives you that peace of mind just in case you overboost, weather is real hot and in case you get a bad gas in your tank You can also tune aggressively if you choose too else just an added safety.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM
JonnyC

yeah, I would do it just for added safety off the bat. I'm going to be street tuning for quite a while, mainly just for AFR. I'm going to be using a conservative timing map (TXS TN map) and maybe play around with it a bit until I can get on a dyno.

Would it be alright to tune conservative w/o meth and then install the kit for added safety, w/o advancing any timing? I assume I'll get slightly less power, but cooler temps.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG

The 350z has a indicator light that shows low windshield washer fluid. As for the methanol resivor, I suggest running it in the trunk. And run an extra line out to your windshield washer fluid resivor for added safety. You guys are making to big a deal of this, just check it every time you run your car... it DOES NOT run out fast.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM
frankie945

Install pic's in the DIY section of the snow performance stage II kit I did last weekend.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Z_boy912

do you guys use the nozzles that comes with the snow kit? what size are they?

where is a good place to get the snow performance stage 2 ?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Z_boy912

question for the guys who have the snow performance kit and have the reservoir mounted in the trunk, do we need to buy the Solenoid Upgrade? (http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=20)

and is it worth it to get the low level indicator listed on snow website? (http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=16)
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Z_boy912
question for the guys who have the snow performance kit and have the reservoir mounted in the trunk, do we need to buy the Solenoid Upgrade? (http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=20)

If you call Snow they will say it is a MUST if you are doing a trunk mount but Sharif did one without and said it works ok... Snow said that the problem will arise when you part your car on an incline.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 AM
JonnyC

and is it worth it to get the low level indicator listed on snow website? (http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=16)
It will come with whatever kit you buy (says it right in the description).
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
cmtech1

PM import image for deal on any of our Vari-Cool kits. They have some crazy deals going on.

To help answer your question, the trunkmount kit has a large capacity and has to be the easiest kit to install. Since the pump mounts in a recessed cavity in the tank its simple to install.

If you compare our underhood kit to our competitors you will see where the extra $60 comes from, the 1 gallon tank (vs 3 quart), ability to run multiple inputs, tuneability, all nickel plated fittings (vs plastic fittings).

contact josh at Import Image, I bet he gets you a killer deal.

CM
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 AM
350Z400rwhp

You only the need solenoid if the reservoir is above the spray nozzle. The reason for this is that gravity will force the water / meth out the nozzle. Secondly, I am using -20 degree washer fluid and making my own mixture by adding HEET (99% meth) from Walmart, I end up with about a 35% meth to water mixture and I am using my washer tank so I can use this on my windows too and share both my Snow Kit and Washer pump for my wipers from the same reservoir. The mixture I am making costs $4.25 per gallon. I buy a gallon of -20 degree washer fluid (which is about a 20% meth to water mixture). I then take out 24 ounces of washer fluid and add 24 ounces of HEET (99% Meth). Shake for good measure and then fill up my 1+ gallon washer reservoir.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
You only the need solenoid if the reservoir is above the spray nozzle. The reason for this is that gravity will force the water / meth out the nozzle.
+1 So you really need to mount the tank very low that your nozzle location is higher. Still there still a chance that it might leak if you are parked in an incline/decline so the extra Solenoid is good to have... we are not talking about an expensive part here...

Last edited by athenG; 04-22-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by westpak
yeap it is nice, you can use the Fcon to trigger the voltage to the Meth kit and this triggers the additional maps and by hooking up the low level sensor it will prevent those maps from kicking in if low on Meth
Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Z_boy912

can someone confirm weither the low level indicator already comes with the snow kit or you have to buy it seperatly?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
athenG

can someone confirm weither the low level indicator already comes with the snow kit or you have to buy it seperatly?
Why not just call them and get the info straight from them... I doubt it is included since those are really upgrade parts.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I had to buy it separately

Quick Reply: Snow performance vs Coolingmist Vari-cool