Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BFG DR's.....Overkill???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with swaying is wayyy overthought. If you have proper air in tires, then you will not be able to tell a difference.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R888 Ftw!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by thawk408
The problem with swaying is wayyy overthought. If you have proper air in tires, then you will not be able to tell a difference.

Are you refering to DR's or street tires
Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by coachk
Are you refering to DR's or street tires
DRs. I rock the nittos and my friend has MT. With 30+psi the sway is really not there.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
coachk
Banned

DRs. I rock the nittos and my friend has MT. With 30+psi the sway is really not there.
Thats a possibility since I don't keep that much air in my DR's...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Bullitproof

thats a risk i wouldnt wanna take. they are called DRAG RADIALS for a reason. no offense to those that rock them, but i wouldnt wanna chance 'losing my car' at a high speed because i used a 'drag strip' tire. reminds me of when i see those muscle car guys with cheater slicks on the street. yeah, they are impressive from a dig, but they are absolutely wothless when it comes to higher speeds. to the OP, do your own research and find the tire thats right for you. tire rack has a good spec sheet on the major brands of tires(except toyo=)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
thats a risk i wouldnt wanna take. they are called DRAG RADIALS for a reason. no offense to those that rock them, but i wouldnt wanna chance 'losing my car' at a high speed because i used a 'drag strip' tire. reminds me of when i see those muscle car guys with cheater slicks on the street. yeah, they are impressive from a dig, but they are absolutely wothless when it comes to higher speeds. to the OP, do your own research and find the tire thats right for you. tire rack has a good spec sheet on the major brands of tires(except toyo=)
Those "cheater slicks" that you refer to are Bias ply tires. DRs are Radial tires. With proper inflation radial DRs are great at high speed. I've driven over 15k miles on DRs in the last three seasons and have never had any issues with high speed control.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 AM
taurran

They dont help on the street you say? That is a lie if I ever heard one. True cold, neither street tire or DR will hook for ****, but my 305 nittos hooked 606rwhp on a warm day in 2nd. They are still a stickier compound and softer sidewall then a normal street tire, so they will help traction period.
Yes, I'm intentionally misleading everyone.

The drag radials weren't even worth the reduced tire life over the BFG KDW2's that I normally run. Sure, maybe if you're driving around in the dead of summer in mid-day heat they might help, but I never noticed a single advantage of running them for the months I did. I would still spin in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd gear if I dropped it hard. The only substantial difference I saw with running these softer compound tires was a fine layer of powdered rubber on my rear bumper.

They're especially not worth it when most people in here would have to buy a 2nd set of wheels to run them. In that case, don't bother.

Also, for what it's worth, I mostly drive my car at night on the weekends. (You know, when people normally go out)

Last edited by taurran; 05-13-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by taurran

The drag radials weren't even worth the reduced tire life over the BFG KDW2's that I normally run. Sure, maybe if you're driving around in the dead of summer in mid-day heat they might help, but I never noticed a single advantage of running them for the months I did. I would still spin in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd gear if I dropped it hard. The only substantial difference I saw with running these softer compound tires was a fine layer of powdered rubber on my rear bumper.

They're especially not worth it when most people in here would have to buy a 2nd set of wheels to run them. In that case, don't bother.

Also, for what it's worth, I mostly drive my car at night on the weekends. (You know, when people normally go out)
i don't think you're intentionally misleading people, but i have no idea what kind of weird experiences you're having that would lead you to claim they make no difference in the face of the testimonials of all these other folks who are stating otherwise. i've run DRs since the spring of 2006 on my turbo car and they make a huge difference over regular Z rated tires. I live in michigan and drive this car on the DRs from april fools day to thanksgiving. only under about 40 degrees does the performance of them really start to degrade.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
MardiGrasMax

Maybe a tire pressure or camber issue?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
thawk408

NOTHING will hook up in the cold. My friends 450 rwhp supra will blow of MT when its cold. When its warm they will dead hook in first on the street. I guess your car just has tons more power then all of ours....
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

NOTHING will hook up in the cold. My friends 450 rwhp supra will blow of MT when its cold. When its warm they will dead hook in first on the street. I guess your car just has tons more power then all of ours....
lol
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive seen non warmed up DR's dead hook from 1st gear in another Z-I was shocked as it was 40 degrees out. They work better straight line traction wise than any other regular street tire. Having stickier rubber doesnt mean you can be stupid with the throttle/gas and expect traction everytime. Anything can be broken loose, some common sense is required.

Last edited by Alberto; 05-13-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Alberto
Anything can be broken loose, some common sense is required.
lol
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
taurran

Look where I live. Nothing gets "cold" here.

I've driven them on 80+ degree days with plenty of time to warm them up. Unless you can really get them hot by either driving on a hot sun baked street, or by performing a burnout, you will still constantly break traction like you were on a set of KDW2's.

If you really care about getting miles out of your tires then you probably won't be wanting to burn out constantly. And, who really goes out and runs their car hard in mid day 100 degree whether? No one, unless they're taking part in some illegal street racing where they're burning out from digs on the street constantly.

The vast majority of the people on this site will have to buy an entirely new set of wheels to run these drag radials. That being said, they're in no way worth the money. My suggestion would be to be happy with street tires or go try out some of the proper fitting r888's. (although I have no personal experience with them)

Originally Posted by alberto
Ive seen non warmed up DR's dead hook from 1st gear in another Z-I was shocked as it was 40 degrees out. They work better straight line traction wise than any other regular street tire. Having stickier rubber doesnt mean you can be stupid with the throttle/gas and expect traction everytime. Anything can be broken loose, some common sense is required.
Why aren't you running drag radials on your car then? Ditch those 19's with street tires and practice what you preach.

...and about the "stupid with the throttle" comment, I'm perfectly capable of modulating throttle in my car. I'm still waiting for someone on this site to beat my 1/4mi street tire time. (built motor or not)

Originally Posted by doug
lol
Originally Posted by doug
lol
^ bump for worthless troll posts.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Maybe a tire pressure or camber issue?
Nope, people are ignoring the fact that in my original post that they do not help unless heated up. If you enjoy driving around on public streets doing burnouts all day long, then maybe they'd be good for you.

FWIW I was driving around on the DR's at 30-35 psi for normal daily use with -1.0 rear camber (less than most on here).

I'll stick to KDW2's, and may be willing to try some of those R888's.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why aren't you running drag radials on your car then? Ditch those 19's with street tires and practice what you preach.

...and about the "stupid with the throttle" comment, I'm perfectly capable of modulating throttle in my car. I'm still waiting for someone on this site to beat my 1/4mi street tire time. (built motor or not)
1. This thread isnt about why I dont run DR's

2. Im not preaching anything Im sharing experiences

3. 12.3 is weaksauce

4. ST's lag more and because of that hook up better (same for laggy TT's) yet you still break loose DR's in 3rd?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
doug

lol
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Alberto
1. This thread isnt about why I dont run DR's

2. Im not preaching anything Im sharing experiences

3. 12.3 is weaksauce

4. ST's lag more and because of that hook up better (same for laggy TT's) yet you still break loose DR's in 3rd?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Quick Reply: BFG DR's.....Overkill???