Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Q's about Crawford Plenum and Procarger

Old 07-11-2003, 05:20 AM
keepupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about Crawford Plenum and Procarger

Since the front two cylinders on our cars are more restrictive because the intake manifold flows on these cylinders less than on the others.....does this mean that the life of front two and rear four will have different life spans? Also, I am buying the procharger and am concerned that the rear four cylinders will wear prematurely compared to the fronts. What I am getting at is whether or not I should purchase the Crawford intake as well. Will I see less or more power with the Crawford AND Procharger? I know the Procharger relies on the pressure in the intake manifold....and the Crwford will flow more , therefore making less power with the Procharger? Please, can an expert clear this up? Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old 07-11-2003, 08:04 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off I am no expert. But keep the following in mind:

The pressure will not change the flow characteristics that the modified plenum fixes. It will not matter how much pressure you add to the intake the air will still need to have and easy path (flow) to where its going. So in the cycle of the engine mechanics, when the front cylinders take in the air it will still be advantageous to have the better flow.

As far as the wear goes, I am not sure, but I would imagine it is not that great of a concern. I don’t think the amount of air difference that was changed affected the longevity (+ or -) of the engine.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
f r e z N Y

Default Re: Q's about Crawford Plenum and Procarger

Originally posted by keepupp
... concerned that the rear four cylinders will wear prematurely compared to the fronts.
I don't believe that cylinders that get less airflow would wear prematurely, but rather just the opposite. If I remember correctly, the VQ30DE Maxima's are more likely to blow their #5/#6 (front) cylinders because of too much air in relation to fuel when running FI. The Crawford Plenum should actually help to sustain engine life if running FI.

Last edited by f r e z N Y; 07-11-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
keepupp

Thats what I was thinking. By the way, I just ordered the Procharger AND Borla Exhaust AND headers.....so I am now very serious about getting the Crawford plenum. The main question now is will the plenum hurt or aid in psi of the blower?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by keepupp
Thats what I was thinking. By the way, I just ordered the Procharger AND Borla Exhaust AND headers.....so I am now very serious about getting the Crawford plenum. The main question now is will the plenum hurt or aid in psi of the blower?
You will find more gains in the crawford plenum, then you would the borla exhaust.

Period.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:26 PM
350zdanny

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't some people been finding accelerated carbon deposits on their plugs in the front two cylinders? As far as I know, the crawford Z plenum would rectify this because the stock manifold feeds 30% less air to the front cylinders thus causing them to run more rich, and the crawford plenum knocks that number down to something like 5% less (right doug?).

That fact alone bodes very well for FI use with the crawford plenum. Good luck with your procharger.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:54 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by 350zdanny
and the crawford plenum knocks that number down to something like 5% less (right doug?).
You are correct Danny!
Old 07-11-2003, 06:55 PM
12SecZ

Correct me if I'm wrong
No correction needed you are right and I have pics to prove it.

3rd set of plugs at 8k miles (prior to Crawford Plenum.)

Bottom line is more cold air in and more hot exhaust out can never be a bad thing.

I'm sold on the Plenum and will run it with my SC but not sold on any headers yet, especially Borla not because of the name but because of the design. Shorties seem like a waste of money to me for 500 I want a TORQUE CONVERTER!!!

Old 07-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Phatmitzu

Question..

I know with the Crawford Plenum the factory front strut bar wont fit anymore, but anyone know can the factory engine cover still fit?

Mark
Old 07-12-2003, 03:27 AM
Tigerstylez

from what I could tell...no it wont.

The plenum pushes the room under the hood to the max to get the most flow, so there is no room for the cover.

evil or vandy or doug may have mor einfo than this for you, but from what I saw at the shop when i was looking at them, there is no way the cover will fit with the plenum.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:35 PM
dougrace zs

I know with the Crawford Plenum the factory front strut bar wont fit anymore, but anyone know can the factory engine cover still fit?
No the plastic cover will not go back on because we used every bit of space to increase volume in the plenum
Old 07-13-2003, 04:40 PM
mrcmotorsports
Banned

We just insatlled the aftermarket strut tower brace on a car running the crawford plenum. The engine cover will not go back on and the strut tower brace only had about an 1/8th inch clearance to the motor. We will be checking the car soon for any signs of the strut tower bar rubbing the motor due to torque movement. We are working with a fabricator in CA that is developing a tubular intake manifold that allows the use of the factory engine cover and strut tower bar. We should have this on our shop car this week and will post dyno results and pics as soon as they are available.
Thanks,
Mike
MRC Motorsports
Old 07-13-2003, 05:41 PM
fdao

Originally posted by mrcmotorsports
We are working with a fabricator in CA that is developing a tubular intake manifold that allows the use of the factory engine cover and strut tower bar. We should have this on our shop car this week and will post dyno results and pics as soon as they are available.
Thanks,
Mike
MRC Motorsports
Please keep us posted.