Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brian Crower Stage 3's Preliminary test results are in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
The VQ35 is different from the EVO and S14 Motors, in the fact that it does not have user adjstable cam gears. The VQ35 relies on an oil pressure fed solenoid to advance cam timing, there is no adjustment to be made as far as indexing the cams. And as you can see, we did not loose tons of power, we made tons of power, at 3psi LESS boost..
And on a side note, there is no "Bolt In cam" on any application...The car must be tuned for the cams or your simply wasting the money on install and parts, and not getting the FULL potential of your new investment.

Also, one thing everyone overlooks, is the propper clearancing of the valve buckets to the cams...It is very time consuming and mythotical but MUST be done when doing cams.
Cams on my car, and many other were "drop in" and didn't require any clearancing.

Keep laughing, I bet cam timing is off. I've seen Crower V3's on a N/A VQ35 Belting out 280+whp. Nothing about them is a midrange cam.

Check the cam specs again, I will put money damn that they are off.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:58 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KA24DE,

Your prior knowledge/experience with the KA24DE and Evo doesn't apply here to the VQ35DE engine. IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges. First of all, try searching for cams gears for the VQ35DE from any of the VQ aftermarket parts vendors/distributors. (Hint: There aren't any.)

For the reasons Julian already stated, the VQ hasn't shown the issues you have described (on this forum at least) reference aftermarket cams. The BC Stage 2 cams have been on the market for a little while now and no customers or shops have reported any problems/issues on this site IIRC. In fact, I have seen and heard nothing but positive reviews/results with the BC Stage 2 cams on the VQ35DE.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many aftermarket cams come with 4 degree advance built in.if brian does i don't know,but it is very popular.degreeing cams is no joke and everyone who knows better confirms the cams are installed straight up.this is even more important for quad cam cars because if one intake(or exhaust) is ground perfect straight up and one is 4 dergree advanced you will never achieve balance.timing,dynamic pressure....it's all off.even if adjustable advancers are not available,you still need to check.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
KA24DE

Ok, just because the VQ has variable cam phasing, doesn't mean that the actual cams themselves cannot be off. But whatever.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by KA24DE
Ok, just because the VQ has variable cam phasing, doesn't mean that the actual cams themselves cannot be off. But whatever.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by go-fast
many aftermarket cams come with 4 degree advance built in.if brian does i don't know,but it is very popular.degreeing cams is no joke and everyone who knows better confirms the cams are installed straight up.this is even more important for quad cam cars because if one intake(or exhaust) is ground perfect straight up and one is 4 dergree advanced you will never achieve balance.timing,dynamic pressure....it's all off.even if adjustable advancers are not available,you still need to check.
THANK YOU! +1

FYI, My JWT's worked Perfect, and required me to do nothing. Infact, its said JWT's cam gears will not help unless you are using forced induction. On the other hand, everyone With BC cams seems to tell me that if the cams are installed they have to be degreed, otherwise, they don't work correctly.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by KA24DE
The cams were installed and timed properly by us.The timing chain on the Z is VERY complicated and is not for an amature builder to install on his own. You can wind up scrweing thisg up majorly, in fact my first engine, a so called professional engine builder, put my exhaust and intake cams in 180 degrees out of phase..
But these BC cams are timed perfect, we confirmed by datalogging with the Cipher, all the cam advance is dead nuts..

As far as BC cams being an upper RPM cam, can you please explain the 70ftlbs and 50whp increase I gained going from BC2-BC3's at 3PSI LESS...
Did you miss this>
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
go-fast
Banned

your not getting it,there is more to it than the timing chain and cipher only tells you where the notch is on the cam.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

your not getting it,there is more to it than the timing chain and cipher only tells you where the notch is on the cam.
And YOUR not getting it..By the looks of my Dyno Graph, does it APPEAR that the cams are OFF?? The OFF cams gave me over 70 Ftlbs and 50RWHP at 3 PSI Less boost...

I repeat, the OFF cams gave me 70ftlbs of TQ and 50whp more at 3 PSI LESS boost.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

degreeing cams is no joke and everyone who knows better confirms the cams are installed straight up..
Correct, this is exactly what we do each and every time. The cams are isntalled correctly. As the dyno shows..
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM
ToastZ

Why would Brian Crower post a dyno from a vendor who did not know how to install their cams ?

http://briancrower.com/makes/nissan/dyno-0221.shtml

I don't think they would.

It's a safe bet that BC is well aware of how the professional installers are timing their cams.

After all, its their business to know.

Last edited by ToastZ; 05-26-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Why would Brian Crower post a dyno from a vendor who did not know how to install their cams ?

http://briancrower.com/makes/nissan/dyno-0221.shtml

I don't think they would. It's a safe bet that BC is well aware of how the professional installers are timing their cams. After all, its their business to know.
This is true..We have seen alot of issues with improperly installed items in the past. My tech's take their work seriously, and work very methotically.it took my tech a full day to properly set the lash on my cams and valve buckets. it is a tedious process, but if not done right, the slight variance of a few thousandths here and there, can cause an unbalance in the motor, robbing you of HP..
Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Because he wants to sell cams.

Correct, this is exactly what we do each and every time. The cams are isntalled correctly. As the dyno shows..
How on earth can a dyno show/prove that your cam timing is correct?

Just because you make X horsepower with the cams installed out of the box, does not mean you couldn't make x+30 horsepower (or whatever) if the cams were degreed correctly.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
TrackPack

I believe the issue here is that you simply cant degree the vq motor. there are no adjustable cam gears for it. and I'm sure no one has even tried to see how far out of spec(or in spec ) the BC cams(or any cam) might be.

Its almost not worth attempting to degree cams on the vq because if you find out they are out, then what......
Old 05-26-2008, 12:38 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by TrackPack
I believe the issue here is that you simply cant degree the vq motor. there are no adjustable cam gears for it. and I'm sure no one has even tried to see how far out of spec(or in spec ) the BC cams(or any cam) might be.

Its almost not worth attempting to degree cams on the vq because if you find out they are out, then what......
even though some shops don't degree the cams on the vq,it is not only possible but critical to the blueprint process.it's impossible to replicate/improve on a combo if you don't even know what you have!cam grinders have no problem exchanging cams if they are out and are more than willing to tweak a grind......btwy a camshaft installed advanced will bolster mid-range and hurt high rpm power....just in case anyone was wondering.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:41 AM
go-fast
Banned

And YOUR not getting it..By the looks of my Dyno Graph, does it APPEAR that the cams are OFF?? The OFF cams gave me over 70 Ftlbs and 50RWHP at 3 PSI Less boost...

I repeat, the OFF cams gave me 70ftlbs of TQ and 50whp more at 3 PSI LESS boost.
you still dont get it
Old 05-26-2008, 12:58 AM
TrackPack

even though some shops don't degree the cams on the vq,it is not only possible but critical to the blueprint process.it's impossible to replicate/improve on a combo if you don't even know what you have!cam grinders have no problem exchanging cams if they are out and are more than willing to tweak a grind......btwy a camshaft installed advanced will bolster mid-range and hurt high rpm power....just in case anyone was wondering.
I completely agree with what you said about boosting mid-range with an advanced cam and that might be the case with the v3's. I helped degree and tune the v3's in my budys ka24de (Brad D from kat.org) and when we dropped them in straight up the car pulled very little vacume, just shy of 0 on the gauge, amazing it even ran, crazy mid range though. when we finally degreed them they were so far out, dont remember the #'s. But the vacume at idle finally returned,-6psi or so I think, and the top end woke up drastically, we stopped reving at 7500 and power was still climbing.

after market cams seem to be out all the time, be it from re-surfaced heads, different thickness head gaskets or just mistakes in the grinds..
Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 AM
ForcefedZ

btwy a camshaft installed advanced will bolster mid-range and hurt high rpm power....just in case anyone was wondering.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the new torque curve. I believe the cam are installed correctly, but it is possible that BC ground in a some static advance (maybe the added duration over the STG2 was added to the opening side of the lobe leaving the closing side the same)

All of this can be addressed/tuned if you can control the cam timing.

Julian, does the F-Con control the VTC?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the new torque curve. I believe the cam are installed correctly, but it is possible that BC ground in a some static advance (maybe the added duration over the STG2 was added to the opening side of the lobe leaving the closing side the same)

All of this can be addressed/tuned if you can control the cam timing.

Julian, does the F-Con control the VTC?
No it does not.. I argued the point with HKS till I was blue in the face, believe me...

What I dont understand is all the people bashing the BC cams..No one ever bashed any other cams on this site, like the JWT,GTM, Nismo, ect...

All i know is we got perfect vacume at idle. the car makes good midrange power, and seems to want to make the top end power once boost is increased..Only time will tell..

But whats with all the KA guys becoming experts on the VQ motor and the BC cams all of a sudden?

Just take in the results for what they are, everyone knows I will post my findings either way.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
Because he wants to sell cams.

How on earth can a dyno show/prove that your cam timing is correct?

Just because you make X horsepower with the cams installed out of the box, does not mean you couldn't make x+30 horsepower (or whatever) if the cams were degreed correctly.
I honestly dont know what the intentions for you comments were, however, I will post my HP finding either way and the results, unbiased and true..
To date I have sold ZERO sets of BC cams FWIW..

Now please expound to me, as to how you suggest I prove or disprove at this point that the cam timing is correct? All I know is that I went form JWT cams on my motor, to BC2's and the results were astounding..I then went with the BC3' over the 2's and the results thus far have me satisfied driving the car..

if someone can please prove their findings legitimately with some factual data the BC cams are not degreed properly, please do so..

Perhaps the specs for the cams will clarify.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 05-26-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower Stage 3's Preliminary test results are in!