Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

So does this sound like my headgaskets blown? :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So does this sound like my headgaskets blown? :(

Hey guys well this could potentially be bad news..... I noticed my coolant reservoir was low yesterday so I filled it up. Today I got a cel.... So as I was doing a visual inspection I checked my coolant res and noticed it is only 1/3 full......hmmmm sounds like headgasket? I don't notice any oil in the rad cap... Would a blown hg cause a cel? Could be time for a new motor I gotta drain the oil and take a look. Ill read the code when I go back to work wednesday, hopefully you guys have some input in the meantime.

I'm pushing about 8-9psi with stock hg, could the stock headgasket go with such low boost?

Thanks in advance.

... Luckily I can get a free vq longblock from my work.... Might be Build time...
Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 PM
03VQ35DETT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jining
Hey guys well this could potentially be bad news..... I noticed my coolant reservoir was low yesterday so I filled it up. Today I got a cel.... So as I was doing a visual inspection I checked my coolant res and noticed it is only 1/3 full......hmmmm sounds like headgasket? I don't notice any oil in the rad cap... Would a blown hg cause a cel? Could be time for a new motor I gotta drain the oil and take a look. Ill read the code when I go back to work wednesday, hopefully you guys have some input in the meantime.

I'm pushing about 8-9psi with stock hg, could the stock headgasket go with such low boost?

Thanks in advance.

... Luckily I can get a free vq longblock from my work.... Might be Build time...
does your exhaust smell any different than normal? can you tell if there is oil mixed with your coolant in your radiator or maybe coolant in your oil i.e. chocolate milkshake colored oil on your dip stick?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 PM
350Z400rwhp

Thanks in advance.

You might get lucky. Try replacing your radiator cap. The symptoms for a blown head gasket and a bad radiator cap are the same.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
jining

Just replaced my cap about a month ago....... Its a power enterprise high pressure cap I wonder if that could have anything to do with it since it would put the coolant under higher pressure... I don't notice anything in the coolant, the oil looks normal on the dipstick but ill change the oil wed when I go to work...

What sensor would a blown hg trigger to throw a code

Last edited by jining; 05-25-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
westpak
SFZCC

man you and your issues

you have no clue what the code is for and you are assuming it has to do with the headgasket??

think about it, if the reason you are thinking you have a blown headgasket is because your reservoir is low then think where does the coolant go??

it would either be going into the combustion chamber and causing white smoke or at least some exhaust odor

or it would be visibly coming out around the heads

or blowing out the reservoir

or going into the cooling system and turning your oil into sludge

everyone's coolant goes down some over time so chill, and keep an eye on the reservoir and if none of the above are happening you are fine, trust me if you have a blown hg you would know.

oh and read the CEL so you have some information before panicking
Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
jining

Well I just noticed my res level dropped significantly in 1 day. I suppose I shouldn't assume anything without reading the code. Ill keep you posted. Just curious, what code would be throw if it was a hg?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
350Z400rwhp

Just top your radiator off with fluid and put your stock radiator cap in and motitor the overflow tank. You still may have air in your system so it may drop the level a little more before it stops. If the coolant level continues to drop in your overflow tank after a few days then you most likely have a more serious problem.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
jining

Ok let me find out wat code its throwing and ill let u know
Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 PM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a blown HG, you will also have kind of a sweet smell from your exhaust. and a lot of smoke.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
jining

hmmm yea not a lot of smoke, my friend says he saw a small amount of white smoke upon acceleration... cant tell if the exhaust is sweet smell tho
Old 05-26-2008, 03:20 AM
clemlover15

Just replaced my cap about a month ago....... Its a power enterprise high pressure cap I wonder if that could have anything to do with it since it would put the coolant under higher pressure... I don't notice anything in the coolant, the oil looks normal on the dipstick but ill change the oil wed when I go to work...

What sensor would a blown hg trigger to throw a code

go back to stock rad cap,
Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Its the rad cap.. I had a nismo rad cap for a year, the nismo sticker melted and you could see leaking rad fluid come out the top of the cap itself.. it kept letting the rad fluid leak out time and again after it would reach a certain temp.. I bought a pressurized rad cap from autozone and problem solved..... Take pics of ur PE rad cap also, look at the top.. Go get a stock rad cap or autozone rad cap asap!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just curious, what code would be throw if it was a hg?

Code: ID10T
Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Zivman
ROFL
Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 AM
03VQ35DETT

Well I just noticed my res level dropped significantly in 1 day. I suppose I shouldn't assume anything without reading the code. Ill keep you posted. Just curious, what code would be throw if it was a hg?
if your hg was blown and it was causing a cel then it would prob be a misfire code or something along those lines but you would notice a misfire. if its the rad cap thats the problem then it may be a low coolant pressure code or something like that
Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman

i see people with that code a lot...

i would probably think about keeping the coolant temps down a little lower so you dont have any more issues. you can purchase this nice little item that is secretly how all the big name shops keep the temps down. check it HERE

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 05-26-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 AM
coachk
Banned

Hopefully I won't get the ID10T code for my problem, but its kinda along the same lines. I have had this happen 3 times, where after I turn off the car the overflow tank spills over (going from half full to almost empty). Water temps at the time of shutting off the motor was 210.. I put a new rad cap on so I know thats not the problem. Any ideas.... oil looks fine and so does the water in the rad.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have had that issue with a APS kit car before, there might just be too much coolant in the reservoir, i would just empty the whole reservoir out so its empty. then see if it does it again. i am almost sure that the APS instructions say to leave it empty cause of its small size.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never have any water in my reservoir. I fill it up when I think about it. I have no overheating issues and no water/coolant in my oil either( oil analysis results). I think it is just a crappy design for a coolant reservoir.

to the OP, don't wory about it. If you are worried, send off a sample of your oil to blackstone labs for an oil analysis.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 AM
coachk
Banned

Andrew...I just talked to JT and I swear you guys read each others mind
You guys must be twins from different mothers...

Thanks JT and Andrew for your help....

Quick Reply: So does this sound like my headgaskets blown? :(