Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

15psi on Greddy vs 15psi on JWT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
No, jesus, you still don't get it. I'm not trash talking at all, you are. As for doing something different, thats a ****ing riot! Because you're pretty much the only guy in the FI with the JWT kit . So I ask again, what was the decision making process that went into you choosing the JWT kit. Furthermore, why is the Greddy kit garbage?

I don't even know why I'm asking, because you'll probably dodge this question too.
You're right, and I apologize. I was in a bit of . Also, I am not the only JWT kit. However 90% of F/I owners here are APS/Greddy. As far as my dislike for Greddy I've already mention and has been mentioned. I think Greddy USA has gone E-Bay quailty. They are not the JDM market Trust everyone relates to. Yes the turbos are old and I want BB turbos. Its not a complete kit. The e-Manage is worst than the UTEC. Not saying the UTEC is great by any means. I plan on upgrading to a HalTech or HKS FCon. I didn't want a big FMIC. I saw members having problems with the Greddy kit. Not saying JWT doesn't. However I think APS has the most. The Greddy kit give massive whp numbers I wasn't going for. My goal was more low-end and mid-rnage power for road racing. Not high peak HP for drag racing or 75-150mph hwy rolls. Like mentioned in the F/I for Noobs thread I want the OEM like kit.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I think differently if we met.
Get over it, you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag.

And to be honest me leaving to collect myself is advice I might take from you.

One thing should never be brought up on ANY forum is someone's spouse/family.
Family and such shouldn't be brought into it, but he didn't bring it up, he brought up your decision making abilities, so let it go.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Navygolf13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OKay maybe I missed it, but the OP was notasking for which was better, rather which was better at 15PSI. I know the JWT kit maxes there and the Greddy can go above the 15PSI number....but which one performs better at 15PSI???? I have had cars with both kits and from driving both of them at 15PSI I would rather drive the JWT kit.

So the graddy can produce more power we all know that, but I think at 15PSI you would get more performance out of the JWT kit, not to mention that is lags way less than the Greddy. Maybe someone can answer the question as opposed to arguing about which kit is better.....
Old 05-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Zivman

You're right, and I apologize. I was in a bit of . Also, I am not the only JWT kit. However 90% of F/I owners here are APS/Greddy. As far as my dislike for Greddy I've already mention and has been mentioned. I think Greddy USA has gone E-Bay quailty. They are not the JDM market Trust everyone relates to. Yes the turbos are old and I want BB turbos. Its not a complete kit. The e-Manage is worst than the UTEC. Not saying the UTEC is great by any means. I plan on upgrading to a HalTech or HKS FCon. I didn't want a big FMIC. I saw members having problems with the Greddy kit. Not saying JWT doesn't. However I think APS has the most. The Greddy kit give massive whp numbers I wasn't going for. My goal was more low-end and mid-rnage power for road racing. Not high peak HP for drag racing or 75-150mph hwy rolls. Like mentioned in the F/I for Noobs thread I want the OEM like kit.

Your opinion is so biased and you can't even admit that. APS having the most issues is probably due to a so called friend of yours that you watched take a small issue and make it worse.

I don't preffer the greddy kit, but what has been posted in regards to the power and spool have factual basis. I don't like the kit because of the front impact beam/IC situation. Yes, the old school turbos are a con on paper, but in the real world they are not. Out of all the available kits, I would only recommend the APS or Greddy. I think the JWT has too many limitations and I don't like the layout of the IC or piping.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:29 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

I guess some people take this forum alil 2 serious
Old 05-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by Zivman
Your opinion is so biased and you can't even admit that. APS having the most issues is probably due to a so called friend of yours that you watched take a small issue and make it worse.

I don't preffer the greddy kit, but what has been posted in regards to the power and spool have factual basis. I don't like the kit because of the front impact beam/IC situation. Yes, the old school turbos are a con on paper, but in the real world they are not. Out of all the available kits, I would only recommend the APS or Greddy. I think the JWT has too many limitations and I don't like the layout of the IC or piping.
I hear what you are syaing about limitations, but if someone doesnt want to go over 15PSI and/or 500-550 rwhp are there really limitations on the JWT kit?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
I hear what you are syaing about limitations, but if someone doesnt want to go over 15PSI and/or 500-550 rwhp are there really limitations on the JWT kit?
I don't trust the ems or fuel system even at 8-10 psi, let alone 15 psi... so yes, there are other limitations.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I don't trust the ems or fuel system even at 8-10 psi, let alone 15 psi... so yes, there are other limitations.
I definitely would not trust the S/S box.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 AM
usingthejohn

Unfortunately, this thread has turned into a "which kit is better" thread, which i stated was not my intent. the topic was how do the TURBOS in a particular kit (NOT THE KIT ITSELF) produce more at a given boost setting compared to another one?

Does it have to do with the housing? The compressor wheels? Does it have to do with the material used in the housing? I've researched the kits, and learned (for the most part) the pros and cons of each kit, but have failed to understand how the turbos used produce more (or less) power at a given boost settings. The Greddys are "old" on paper, yet make consistent and tons of power, and have given BB turbos a bit of competition. Again, the question is "HOW" and "WHY"...not which kit is "superior"
Which then brings me to the HKS TT kit that PF installed. They installed the kit, custom intercooler, Vpro, HKS Navigator, and a RFS (IIRC), and that kit produced a good amount of power at only 8psi, make 430rwhp.

Robert K...thanks for taking my thread off topic. Keep in mind the reason you don't hear of as many JWT kits blowing motors, is because JWT limited sales and installs to only authorized dealers. So no joe-schmo can purchase the kit online and do his own install.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
I definitely would not trust the S/S box.
I have heard this a lot, and I run the S/S box on my kit and have never had any problems. I know that there are limitations on the S/S box but it works and Jim Wolf, in my opinion wouldnt put out a product he didnt believe in. I know there are better management systems, but the S/S box is still better than what you get with the Greddy.....right?

I have put a little under 10,000 miles on my kit since having it installed and never have had one issue, and most of those miles are track miles driving the car hard. Once again, I still dont see the answer to the OP's question.....which is better at 15 PSI all other things the same. He even wants to know which is better with the same management system, so maybe we can stop debating which kit is better and answer the question.....assume for arguments sake it is with the F-Con......
Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the JWT kit, and I agree with most of the stated issues, but like for any kit, once you know the issues you can address them, particularly if looking for more than out-of-the-box power levels. The only thing you cannot address for all the kits is the support issue associated with the APS. For someone purchasing in the USA, I would not recommend the APS based on this alone. With all the business that APS has received here in the USA, you'd think they'd be better equipped to deal with USA issues right here in the USA. Take the Haltech as an example: these folks are based in Australia also, but they set up USA support through Injected Performance. IP can swap out a faulty unit, cable, accessory overnight. That's the way it should be. I think APS would see a return on investment if they followed this model.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I have heard this a lot, and I run the S/S box on my kit and have never had any problems. I know that there are limitations on the S/S box but it works and Jim Wolf, in my opinion wouldnt put out a product he didnt believe in. I know there are better management systems, but the S/S box is still better than what you get with the Greddy.....right?

I have put a little under 10,000 miles on my kit since having it installed and never have had one issue, and most of those miles are track miles driving the car hard. Once again, I still dont see the answer to the OP's question.....which is better at 15 PSI all other things the same. He even wants to know which is better with the same management system, so maybe we can stop debating which kit is better and answer the question.....assume for arguments sake it is with the F-Con......

heck of a comeback youa re having..... and yes both both emanage and ss box FTL!... there are way better options even for piggy back emss
Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
heck of a comeback youa re having..... and yes both both emanage and ss box FTL!... there are way better options even for piggy back emss
I am not saying they are great EMS's I am saying they work and I personally have had no problems with mine. But once again, not on topic and not answering the question......
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

OKay maybe I missed it, but the OP was notasking for which was better, rather which was better at 15PSI. I know the JWT kit maxes there and the Greddy can go above the 15PSI number....but which one performs better at 15PSI???? I have had cars with both kits and from driving both of them at 15PSI I would rather drive the JWT kit.

So the graddy can produce more power we all know that, but I think at 15PSI you would get more performance out of the JWT kit, not to mention that is lags way less than the Greddy. Maybe someone can answer the question as opposed to arguing about which kit is better.....
the JWT has monster torque due to its small piping.. one of the issues it has problems going above 15 PSI..

i have never seen a 15 PSI greddy vs a 15 PSI JWT dyno before so i can't really say which one is better.. i assume the JWT has the Greddy in the TQ.. but thats maybe about it.. i know the greddy spools at 3250 RPMS.. not sure about the JWT and if anyone would want full boost before that in the first 3 gears..
Old 05-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by doug
the JWT has monster torque due to its small piping.. one of the issues it has problems going above 15 PSI..

i have never seen a 15 PSI greddy vs a 15 PSI JWT dyno before so i can't really say which one is better.. i assume the JWT has the Greddy in the TQ.. but thats maybe about it.. i know the greddy spools at 3250 RPMS.. not sure about the JWT and if anyone would want full boost before that in the first 3 gears..
I would believe you are correct about the TQ numbers and I would honestly think the HP numbers would be close at the same PSI....I think the JWT spools at somewhere between 2300-2800 RPMS. NOt 100% sure....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
Unfortunately, this thread has turned into a "which kit is better" thread, which i stated was not my intent. the topic was how do the TURBOS in a particular kit (NOT THE KIT ITSELF) produce more at a given boost setting compared to another one?

Does it have to do with the housing? The compressor wheels? Does it have to do with the material used in the housing? I've researched the kits, and learned (for the most part) the pros and cons of each kit, but have failed to understand how the turbos used produce more (or less) power at a given boost settings. The Greddys are "old" on paper, yet make consistent and tons of power, and have given BB turbos a bit of competition. Again, the question is "HOW" and "WHY"...not which kit is "superior"
Which then brings me to the HKS TT kit that PF installed. They installed the kit, custom intercooler, Vpro, HKS Navigator, and a RFS (IIRC), and that kit produced a good amount of power at only 8psi, make 430rwhp.

Robert K...thanks for taking my thread off topic. Keep in mind the reason you don't hear of as many JWT kits blowing motors, is because JWT limited sales and installs to only authorized dealers. So no joe-schmo can purchase the kit online and do his own install.
it is all about the amount of air flow at a given PSI, not just the PSI. Read this from APS' site. Really very informative about turbochargers
Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by rcdash
I have the JWT kit, and I agree with most of the stated issues, but like for any kit, once you know the issues you can address them, particularly if looking for more than out-of-the-box power levels. The only thing you cannot address for all the kits is the support issue associated with the APS. For someone purchasing in the USA, I would not recommend the APS based on this alone. With all the business that APS has received here in the USA, you'd think they'd be better equipped to deal with USA issues right here in the USA. Take the Haltech as an example: these folks are based in Australia also, but they set up USA support through Injected Performance. IP can swap out a faulty unit, cable, accessory overnight. That's the way it should be. I think APS would see a return on investment if they followed this model.
I have had a couple issues with my kit, and everything has been handled very easily and effectively by my dealer. I have ordered replacement parts for a friends build and they did take some time to come in, but I had no issue with the lead time. IMHO it comes down to the fact that because people see APS' site and Peter and others from APS were on the Z sites, they think the best method to resolve an issue is to take it up with APS directly. If people would trust their dealers with installs, or at least a capable person/mechanic, I would guess 75% or more of issues related to ANY available kit on the market would be gone. That said, we have people messing up the install and then b1tching about service.... actually seen it a lot with the TN setup. If those with issues with their kit went through an authorized dealer, they would have little to no issue getting things resolved
Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Bullitproof

Here's my greddy dyno, for whatever it's worth. This isn't a dyno queen. I have 15psi springs in the car, so i can't go any lower than a wastegate only pressure of 13psi. i always rock the car with the boost controller on. the 15psi tune is the dotted line. as you can see, by 3200 rpms, i am making around 375 ft-lbs. of trq. this thread should be informative, not a pissing contest. if any of the jwt or aps guys got their charts lying around, post them up. if you have any questions about the build, click the link in my sig.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Zivman

For reference, here is a boost curve from my tune:

And the dyno chart from that curve
Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Greddy kit give massive whp numbers I wasn't going for. My goal was more low-end and mid-rnage power for road racing. Not high peak HP for drag racing or 75-150mph hwy rolls. Like mentioned in the F/I for Noobs thread I want the OEM like kit.
I've got to disagree with you on the greddy. ON my greddy kit and stock block, I'll see at least 2psi by 1800 rpm. I know this because I hadn't done any UTEC tuning below 2000 rpm. oops.

the small JWT really spools fast from what I have heard, but the greddy isn't exactly slow. the greddy uses fairly large compressors with pretty small turbines to get quick spool but still being able to make huge power. the limiting factor on the greddys is the turbine housing, IMO. with the small turbine housings, you just won't see any greddy cars making power over 7000....most peak out in the low 6000s.

Last edited by QuadCam; 06-01-2008 at 06:30 AM.