Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any new or updated reviews or Powerlabs ST kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
hydroflip

casually bumping a 2 year old thread to the top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

between the product announcement thread and the multitude of build threads, what else do you wanna know????
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
The jury is really still out on the turbo. If it were for the track ONLY, i'd give it a thumbs up right now...but it's not.

This makes me wonder why anyone puts test pipes on their car if they do not have a turbo. A catless turbo will put out power, but the tradeoff is the smell. Girls hate the smell...so if the car isn't for the track and no girl wants to ride in it, it can only be so useful. The raspyness of test pipes on a N/A Z and the smell....is that worth 5 hpr?

I think I am the only one who minds the exhaust smell. Thats ok, I just don't want to suck down raw exhaust.

No ETA on the car's completion...so don't hold your breath
fug'em.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay'Z

if they dont like the smell tell them to meet you there and they can drive themselves
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM
hydroflip

^lol
Old 03-31-2010, 05:34 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

wow old one... I think it is safe to say at this point that this kit doesn't have too many drawbacks if any at all with the exception of price. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for. For those looking for a single turbo setup this kit seems just as good and mostly better than any other big name single kit on the market judging by some of the related posts from our members.. I hope to see more this summer....
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price? lol its the cheapest kit out there for what you get. What is it, $1700 more then the Turbonectics kit?

I still don't have issues with the smell when driving the car, the only time its an issue is when I'm in the garage. Maybe the cars behind me don't like it but thats about about all I can say about the smell.

If I could go back and do everything over again I would once again install the powerlab kit. I did my own install and everything came out great. No rubbing no issues.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Price? lol its the cheapest kit out there for what you get.

I still don't have issues with the smell when driving the car, the only time its an issue is when I'm in the garage. Maybe the cars behind me don't like it but thats about about all I can say about the smell.

If I could go back and do everything over again I would once again install the powerlab kit. I did my own install and everything came out great. No rubbing no issues.
For some the price makes a difference even tho it's minimal. But there is no denying that you do in fact get quality components with this kit. I'd love to see more built motor setups with the GT35R.. Jeffie your car is nice, clean and has power to boot.. A little exhaust smell wouldn't sway me from this kit at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
1ROUGHNIGHT

Just an idea.... nobody to date had modified this kit for the HR... its such a great single and wonder if you can use stillens new duel intake man from there new supercharger and mod this kit to work? Just and idea to get both throttlebodies on one side so its not going over the turbo.... just a thought???
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
str8dum1

the only reason its perceived as a great single bc it basically has no competition, has welds that dont crack, and its pieced together from name brand parts (tial, garrett, etc). It doesnt use special manifolds, which would be the hardest thing to make.

Its a nice kit, but I think once Boosted Probe starts getting his single out there, more people will pick that.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the only reason its perceived as a great single bc it basically has no competition, has welds that dont crack, and its pieced together from name brand parts (tial, garrett, etc). It doesnt use special manifolds, which would be the hardest thing to make.

Its a nice kit, but I think once Boosted Performance starts getting his single out there, more people will pick that.
Correction

I just need to get a kit out to somebody with a built motor, ready to go.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 03-31-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Correction

I just need to get a kit out to somebody with a built motor, ready to go.
+1 i'd love to see how your kit performs with a built motor as well..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
+1 i'd love to see how your kit performs with a built motor as well..
The nice thing is that the turbo flange has both T3 and T4 bolt patterns. So you have a ton of turbos to choose from. You can go as big as 6780E, and that thing is rated for 790hp The rest of the kit (including FMIC) will support that no problem.

Just need a volunteer.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
str8dum1

If he used a GT35 turbo, it would look just like a PL kit.

the biggest problem is distribution. PL sells on big online websites. I'd say at least 1/3-1/2 of everyone with FI is not on the forums and has no knowledge of 'house branded' products.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
UMW350Z

The smell was from a loose V-band clamp that leaked exhaust right into the passenger side. It was like having a lawnmower running next to you in the car and the exhaust was aimed right at your face. I had the cat welded in before I knew that the problem was actually a real problem, not just sensitivity to the exhaust smell.

I put in the Haltech, had Dave at F:T re-do it with the new EMS and RFS almost exactly a year ago along with a worn-out slave cylinder. Car ran great then, still does now. It made 370 on his DD...I forget the torque. It pulls very strong, gets looks and is loud as fawk. I'm working with Dave now about switching to a GReddy Ti-C dual and maybe punch the cat back out. I like not having CEL's come on, so maybe I leave it in until I decide to build.

Matt at MRC did a beautiful job rewelding the downpipe and reduced the slope angle at the same time. Low point elimnated.

I've worked out the parts for the build with Dave...debating on pulling the trigger this fall. Besides the weld breaking, not a single issue with the kit ever since.

Has anyone put a GReddy TI-C dual turbo-piped on a PL setup yet? It sounds like it requires welding and you can't just buy some bolt-up parts. I'd be interested to hear what it sounds like and how the install went. I'd do it myself if it didn't require welding...even a monkey can hang an exhaust, which is about my skill level as a tech

Last edited by UMW350Z; 03-31-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
The smell was from a loose V-band clamp that leaked exhaust right into the passenger side. It was like having a lawnmower running next to you in the car and the exhaust was aimed right at your face. I had the cat welded in before I knew that the problem was actually a real problem, not just sensitivity to the exhaust smell.

I put in the Haltech, had Dave at F:T re-do it with the new EMS and RFS almost exactly a year ago along with a worn-out slave cylinder. Car ran great then, still does now. It made 370 on his DD...I forget the torque. It pulls very strong, gets looks and is loud as fawk. I'm working with Dave now about switching to a GReddy Ti-C dual and maybe punch the cat back out. I like not having CEL's come on, so maybe I leave it in until I decide to build.

I've worked out the parts for the build with Dave...debating on pulling the trigger this fall. Besides the weld breaking, not a single issue with the kit ever since.
Nice update. Thx. Don't you have 3" single exhaust now? You think the dual would make more power?

Last edited by Highway Riding; 03-31-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Nice update. Thx. Don't you have 3" single exhaust now? You think the dual would make more power?
I can easily make much more power with the exhaust I have (JIC turbo), but it is tuned to make the motor last. I am doing ti really for looks and reduce the noise so I can enjoy my new Alpine

Also, If i go dual again, I am just going to do Nismo rear add-ons instead of the Greddy rear apron (which covers the right side port). Less money for paint, more money for exhaust or more money for paint/parts, no exhaust change.

Last edited by UMW350Z; 03-31-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
z2envy

I'm going on 2 years now and over 100k miles on my car and 50k+ on the kit/tune. I have had 0 issues other then needing to get new tires from burning them up.

UMW I am running a Greddy TiC TruDual and yes you will need to have it cut and rewelded so it works with the single kit. I had someone make me a Reverse Ypipe in order to make it work and it only cost me about 100$ here in Fl. When I do my 100k service I'll try to snap a pic of it to show you what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Any new or updated reviews or Powerlabs ST kit?