Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any new or updated reviews or Powerlabs ST kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Any new or updated reviews or Powerlabs ST kit?

Just like the title says. Any updates or new reviews of the powerlab ST kit.. Looking for real world feedback. pro's - con's? Is it the choice as of late for single's or are for instance greddy twins still the proven - safest way to boost (low psi) a stock motor? please post only if your willing to share your experience thanks..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will post my full review when the car is complete.

Still needs:
1.Working A/C line (the one sent had a hole in it...the turbo makes the car hotter inside because of the heat it generates)
2. Vibrant high flow cat (the exhaust is making my dress shirts smell like 'Scente du Ricky Bobby'...I know I am going to loose some power)
3. free-flowing exhaust
4. EBC and retune for 6psi and 9 psi map
5. Oil catch can

Cons: the downslope of the exhaust to the midpipe. I may never be able to go over a speedbump again without scraping...this is a BIG issue. I am going to talk to Julian to talk to PL about it and see if they have a solution in the works. I have not found a way to contact them directly or else i would call them myself. The downslope seems superflous and poorly designed IMHO.

Pros: makes great power...we will see how the cat affects the turbo's efficiency.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good info..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by UMW350Z

Still needs:
1.Working A/C line (the one sent had a hole in it...the turbo makes the car hotter inside because of the heat it generates)
2. Vibrant high flow cat (the exhaust is making my dress shirts smell like 'Scente du Ricky Bobby'...I know I am going to loose some power)
3. free-flowing exhaust
5. Oil catch can

Cons: the downslope of the exhaust to the midpipe. I may never be able to go over a speedbump again without scraping...this is a BIG issue. I am going to talk to Julian to talk to PL about it and see if they have a solution in the works. I have not found a way to contact them directly or else i would call them myself. The downslope seems superflous and poorly designed IMHO.

Pros: makes great power...we will see how the cat affects the turbo's efficiency.

The fact that the motor hasn't blown yet is great if not awesome news.. Thanks for the update! I myself was thinking the turbo they use for this kit was on the larger side for a Z but still fingers crossed on those that are using it. Again thanks..
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
UMW350Z

The jury is really still out on the turbo. If it were for the track ONLY, i'd give it a thumbs up right now...but it's not.

This makes me wonder why anyone puts test pipes on their car if they do not have a turbo. A catless turbo will put out power, but the tradeoff is the smell. Girls hate the smell...so if the car isn't for the track and no girl wants to ride in it, it can only be so useful. The raspyness of test pipes on a N/A Z and the smell....is that worth 5 hpr?

I think I am the only one who minds the exhaust smell. Thats ok, I just don't want to suck down raw exhaust.

No ETA on the car's completion...so don't hold your breath
Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Highway Riding

The jury is really still out on the turbo. If it were for the track ONLY, i'd give it a thumbs up right now...but it's not.

This makes me wonder why anyone puts test pipes on their car if they do not have a turbo. A catless turbo will put out power, but the tradeoff is the smell. Girls hate the smell...so if the car isn't for the track and no girl wants to ride in it, it can only be so useful. The raspyness of test pipes on a N/A Z and the smell....is that worth 5 hpr?

I think I am the only one who minds the exhaust smell. Thats ok, I just don't want to suck down raw exhaust.

No ETA on the car's completion...so don't hold your breath
I personally hate TP's and the rasp they produce as well as the exhaust stink. fingers crossed for ya bro...
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
z2envy

I've this kit as well so as soon as it gets in and I have it installed and tuned then I'll post up some info on it as well. But looks like several people out there have this kit so far but they are not jumping in to say a few words.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
foreignsoda

Still needs:
3. free-flowing exhaust
5. Oil catch can

hmm.. my car is extremely low (less than a finger gap in the wheels wells) and i have zero issues with scraping.. are you taking the bumps at an angle and very(VERY) slowly?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by z2envy
I've this kit as well so as soon as it gets in and I have it installed and tuned then I'll post up some info on it as well. But looks like several people out there have this kit so far but they are not jumping in to say a few words.
I was fearing the worse but so far so good as far as other board members .. This kit seems to make most sense aside from twins which seem to have the best placement. But this one comes very close.. again fingers crossed for u guys taking the plunge..
Old 06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UMW350Z, Can you take some photos of the exhaust from the side of the car on a flat surface, were it is low. The will help us get a better idea of the clearance. I have driven 3 Z/G's that have the Powerlab kit, and had no issues with clearance on speed bumps.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
UMW350Z

sure! i'll find something to put up next to it for refrence. the problem is not so much that it is low, but WHERE it goes low...right in the middle of the car. If it went low by the front wheels, a good wheel cut could clear it

Stand you 350Z key straight up...it is just a little lower than that. I have the pics.

Last edited by UMW350Z; 06-16-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:26 PM
hydroflip

subscribed..
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by foreignsoda
hmm.. my car is extremely low (less than a finger gap in the wheels wells) and i have zero issues with scraping.. are you taking the bumps at an angle and very(VERY) slowly?
Being a Texas boy myself, I had no idea how shitty the roads were in the Northeast until I moved here. By bumps I think he may mean normal streets with bumps. Not the bumps you and I would think of to go slow over like speed bumps. You absolutely cannot avoid the bumps here in NY/NJ. My poor daily driver used to be a nice car but after 6 months of this place, it is turning into a worn out pos.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 AM
UMW350Z

You all will get updates soon...oh boy will you get updates...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You all will get updates soon...oh boy will you get updates...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Highway Riding

Fingers crossed bro......
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM
honkiemann

i had the pl kit put on almost a month ago.. so far the only issue was no ac but that was quickly fixed, other than that the car is a monster all to gt35r and 3in piping!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM
zul8r

Stay tuned for my results. Car isn't too far off from being done!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by zul8r
Stay tuned for my results. Car isn't too far off from being done!
Who's doing your install?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Joe@Sage

Who's doing your install?
Performance Factory

Quick Reply: Any new or updated reviews or Powerlabs ST kit?