Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Insurance for FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had a major break in with my parking garage during the middle of my vortech install.

Anything attached to the car is AUTO policy
Anything inside the car, but not attached Home Owners (CD, rings, books)

But..

my insurance had a clause that they DO NOT cover any auto part that is laying inside the car...there for when they broke the window in my Buick that was holding my 20inch TSW and removed them....that WAS NOT COVERED.

But my custom Works that I just got and NEVER DROVE on was replaced at FULL RETAIL.

Good luck and read the fine print.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Hexxum001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Ok how bout this question. All the guys out there with Greddy Intercoolers and no front bumper. Will the insurance companies dispute damage to the car for lack of "stock" safety equipment if their front end is damaged?
This is a very tricky situation. If you have a front end loss and the company finds out that the front bumper was remove/modified, this could definitely be a huge issue. They could definitely argue that removing/modifying the front bumper contributed to there being more damage than if the bumper would have been there. It's a claims issue but I could definitely see a company denying a claim because of this.

4SHIZZIL-You are correct. Personal property in your vehicle like CDs, DVDs, clothes, laptops, etc. that are not permanently attached to your vehicle are all items that would be covered under your homeowners/renters/condo policy. You definitely need to read the fine print and ask your agent a lot of questions. It's the fine print and gray areas that will get you in the end if you are not informed.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by XKR
Here is what happens in the real world.....

You get in an accident...the insurance company covers you for the value of the car. You pray that the turbo and motor was not damaged. If the intercooler gets hurt...oh well...it does not cost that much.

What The insurance company said the car was a total lost Well you better get someone to take the turbo's out quickly and swap the motor.....DONT FORGET TO RIP OUT THE HKS V-PRO!!!!!!!!!!!, or you will just have to buy the car.....or you will have to take a BIG loss on that built motor, turbo and electronics.

This is exactly right. And this happens all of the time unfortunately. With the amount of money put into some of these cars, there is the possibility for a HUGE loss if the car is totalled out.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some companies do offer supplemental insurance policies as well that cover items such as your wheels, stereo and other modifications. I have that with Allstate to cover me in case of accident, theft or other loss. I didn't have to supply any photos or proof of ownership to get the coverage, I just need to show receipts and proof of ownership for items on the car if I file a claim. It only reimburses costs of items, not labor for installation, etc...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
No offense to you either mrg1981 but you obviously didn't read the OP's post. He NEVER mentioned Grundy at all. Grundy wasn't mentioned until post #10. Secondly, I am a broker in California so I sell MANY different companies, not just one. And I am not trying to sell anyone any insurance here. I am simply trying to help my fellow G/Z owners out. Thirdly, you are the one that sounds like he really doesn't know what he is talking about and are way off base. Hagerty and Grundy are specialty programs designed for vehicles that are NOT daily drivers and they place many restrictions on the vehicle. If you violate any of those restrictions, there is no coverage. And the agreed upon value of the car is as a total. They don't separate the value of the vehicle and the mods as is done on most auto standard insurance policies. It's all one value. And the premium is based on that value. I have sold Grundy and Hagerty before so I am very familiar with both. And those 2 companies would not apply to the majority of G and Z owners. Basically these programs are designed for show cars that are not regularly driven. That's why they are referred to as specialty insurance companies. They are not standard insurance companies that most people need.

http://www.hagerty.com/Auto/vehicle_insure.aspx

OK, you obviously didn't understand what was going on. To save you the trouble, let me recapitulate:

In post 10, gsxrjohn mentioned that Grundy can provide the type of insurance that covers your mods, since it uses an agreed value.

In post 12, hexxxum said that post #10 was not true. He quoted post #10 and said "That is not true at all."
Since post #10 was specifically about Grundy and was 100% true, I corrected him. I even quoted his post for you. Also, he went on to talk about non-specialty insurance companies to backup his point about Grundy (which is specialty insurance). What he stated is correct for MOST insurance companies, but he was replying to a post about Grundy, not State Farm, Progressive, Geico, etc, which makes his rebuttal to post #10 completely moot. He clearly lacks experience with the specialty insurance programs, which is fine. GSXRJohn and I tried to point some people in the right direction. Don't detract from that by saying they either don't exist or have too many restrictions. Obviously, that is not the case since several of us are using them and there are numerous others using them on this and other forums. Sure, they have restrictions. No, they are not terrible. No, they are also not for everyone, which is why I said that myself.

I specifically said that these types of programs "will likely be a good fit for some of us, but definitely not for everyone." The restrictions at Hagerty are not bad. I am switching to them next week and have already been approved at a very low cost for $75k in coverage. I was hoping for $80k, but then you have to go through extra steps, which I'd rather not take, so I settled for $75k.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by mrg1981
OK, you obviously didn't understand what was going on. To save you the trouble, let me recapitulate:

In post 10, gsxrjohn mentioned that Grundy can provide the type of insurance that covers your mods, since it uses an agreed value.

In post 12, hexxxum said that post #10 was not true. He quoted post #10 and said "That is not true at all."
Since post #10 was specifically about Grundy and was 100% true, I corrected him. I even quoted his post for you. Also, he went on to talk about non-specialty insurance companies to backup his point about Grundy (which is specialty insurance). What he stated is correct for MOST insurance companies, but he was replying to a post about Grundy, not State Farm, Progressive, Geico, etc, which makes his rebuttal to post #10 completely moot. He clearly lacks experience with the specialty insurance programs, which is fine. GSXRJohn and I tried to point some people in the right direction. Don't detract from that by saying they either don't exist or have too many restrictions. Obviously, that is not the case since several of us are using them and there are numerous others using them on this and other forums. Sure, they have restrictions. No, they are not terrible. No, they are also not for everyone, which is why I said that myself.

I specifically said that these types of programs "will likely be a good fit for some of us, but definitely not for everyone." The restrictions at Hagerty are not bad. I am switching to them next week and have already been approved at a very low cost for $75k in coverage. I was hoping for $80k, but then you have to go through extra steps, which I'd rather not take, so I settled for $75k.
Maybe gsxrjohn should clarify his post because when I read it, it looks and sounds like he is talking about 2 different things. Yes, his first statement mentions Grundy and how he will eventually be switching to them. But his second statement mentions how he has installed car audio and has had car audio worth $10k+ and it has been covered both times when he has had losses. In a later post he mentions that he currently has Allstate and they covered the losses. Not Hagerty. So I interpreted these to be two separate statements in which the second is referring to standard insurance companies and not specialty programs. Which makes the second statement not true in most cases. Allstate is one of the few companies that basically cover everything but at a price.
Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
Call GRUNDY insurance. They insure classic and custom cars and you reach a agreed value for the entire car. I will be switching to them when my policy expires.

BUT, if something is BOLTED to your car, you have proof of purchase and you have Comprehensive coverage they HAVE TO COVER IT. I used to install car audio and had a few 10k+ systems in my car. It was broken into 2 times and my insurance covered it both times.
As far as the rest of your statement. You don't know me and what I have done so please don't pretend like you have a clue about what I know and what I don't know. As I have stated, I have now been an agent/broker in California for 10+ years and I have sold hundreds of standard, non-standard and specialty policies including Hagerty and Grundy. You already admitted that you are not in the industry and that you are just repeating what a friend has told you. I would say that you are the one that lacks the experience or knowledge of insurance in general. Can you tell us how many policies you have quoted, underwritten and sold mrg1981?? Do you even have a license to transact insurance?? I do. Did you know, by law, you cannot advise someone about insurance unless you have an insurance license?? It's actually a pretty big fine. It is pretty irresponsible of you to mis-inform the people on this forum like you are doing. Yes, there are a small handful of G/Z owners that could get insurance through Hagerty or Grundy. But the majority could not. That's just a fact. If you qualified for Hagerty, great. Good for you. Those are both great programs. Believe me if there was a program that the majority of modded G and Z owners could go to to get the kind of coverage that we all want, this is the first place that I would come to let everyone know. But the fact is, that kind of program simply doesn't exist. I wish it did because I would be with them if they did.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
mrg1981

Well that's the end of that. I didn't advise anyone on insurance and I certainly didn't misinform anyone. You made a blanket statement about gsxrjohn's post and said that it was not correct. I just pointed out that it is correct with many companies. Besides that, I have no interest in helping any longer. My car wll be more than adequately covered. It sounds like you don't qualify for any of these types of programs, but many of us do. Don't be "irresponsible" and say that posts like #10 aren't true. If you'd like people to be aware of restrictions on this type of policy, that is fine, but your post in #12 sounds like a denial of existance of these programs. You know they are available in the market, so let's get back on topic and find useful ways to share information.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Hexxum001

I agree. No point in continuing to argue. Everyone here can draw there own conclusions. The only point of contention that I still have is that I read gsxrjohn's post differently than you did which is why I posted what I did. What I posted applies to most of us with standard insurance policies which is what most of us have. I never denied that there are some specialty programs available for a select few. But the majority (99%) of us wouldn't qualify for those specialty programs so why don't we stick to discussing what will help the majority instead of just what helps a handful of people. I already posted a link to Hagerty in one of my posts above so people can see if they would qualify.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
I agree. No point in continuing to argue. Everyone here can draw there own conclusions. The only point of contention that I still have is that I read gsxrjohn's post differently than you did which is why I posted what I did. What I posted applies to most of us with standard insurance policies which is what most of us have. I never denied that there are some specialty programs available for a select few. But the majority (99%) of us wouldn't qualify for those specialty programs so why don't we stick to discussing what will help the majority instead of just what helps a handful of people. I already posted a link to Hagerty in one of my posts above so people can see if they would qualify.
We read his post differently, and that was the misunderstanding and the main thrust of the disagreement. Agreed, except much higher than 1% qualify. I would recommend that anyone with a highly modified car look into the options, as I found them very easy to qualify for.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
overZealous1

just curious for those in the know, we booked my car for like $22k. after the beating around the bush questions, i just said, ok, i have already done all of this stuff to my car. she then asked me what the value was i would like to insure it for, i said $50k. so i know the policy has that extra coverage and the 2 different amounts written down. again, i have had the same agent for many years. she did have to search around abit i remember though, even with progressives different policies.
now the fact it is a commercial policy, (right now it is under my construction biz, and the car has switched over to that instead of svrtech) i think, is the different factor from a regular policy. that was my understanding, or did i get smoke up my azz?
now you guys have me wondering and will contact them again on monday.
i have done many creative policies over the years getting some of these creations insured for decent prices, but never had to make a claim so not sure what would happen if i had to. want to make sure if something happens i will not be looking at a pile of ****.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by overZealous1
just curious for those in the know, we booked my car for like $22k. after the beating around the bush questions, i just said, ok, i have already done all of this stuff to my car. she then asked me what the value was i would like to insure it for, i said $50k. so i know the policy has that extra coverage and the 2 different amounts written down. again, i have had the same agent for many years. she did have to search around abit i remember though, even with progressives different policies.
now the fact it is a commercial policy, (right now it is under my construction biz, and the car has switched over to that instead of svrtech) i think, is the different factor from a regular policy. that was my understanding, or did i get smoke up my azz?
i have done many creative policies over the years getting some of these creations insured for decent prices, but never had to make a claim so not sure what would happen if i had to. want to make sure if something happens i will not be looking at a pile of ****.

This is really a question for Hexxum.....But I will give you my opinion until then.

An insurance company can reject a claim at any time for any reason. They can say ( and I have seen this happen before) that the NOS system on that car caused that car to lose control...so this claim is rejected

Remember...insurance companies look for reasons NOT to pay...they dont sit there looking for ways to give out money.

All I am saying is ....yes....some INS companies will cover an aftermarket FI car...JUST GET IT CLEARLY ON PAPER !! Just get ready to pay a lot more for this coverage.If you are under 25....step away

Just remember...if you get in an accident and if the INS company knows in advance that you are FI...they will be looking to see if this accident was FI related...ie: Racing, system malfunction. They will first try and rule out your FI system as the main cause.

My INS company is well informed about my car. They are not happy about covering it.....but I have all my cars covered by them. I drive it less than 3000 miles a year.... so they are happy about that. If I were to survive an accident, and my car did not burn up....I would buy it anyway....too many parts on it to just give away.

Last edited by XKR; 06-28-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I checked out that link to Hagerty provided by Hexxum001. It looks like I would not qualify with them once my build is done. They won't cover a car with a cage unless it's only for car shows. Like Intense's widebody G, I need a cage to be able to run my G down the 1/4 mile.

Which brings me to another question: Does anyone insure street vehicles for weekend warriors who also track their car occasionally?

Here's the list of restrictions from Hagerty. I highlighted the restrictions in red, which apply to some of us.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top>
Hagerty does not offer an insurance product for:
  • Inexpensive home-built kits that do not replicate a classic vehicle
  • Replicas of the 1963-67 Shelby Cobra Roadster
  • Any vehicles used for camping, off-road or utility-type driving
  • Pro-street vehicles modified exclusively with racing features such as roll cages, wheelie caster, nitrous systems, parachutes, etc. (Consideration may be given to show-use only vehicles)
  • Regular-use vehicles driven on a daily basis
  • Vehicles used primarily for commercial use
  • Motorcycles with performance modifications
  • Any vehicle modified with nitrous, nitro-methane or blown alcohol systems are ineligible.
  • Dune Buggies

</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top align=middle><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function caralert(){alert('To quote more than 5 vheicles, please contact us at 1-800-922-4050');}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> //Should the form do an onsubmit check: var UserControlClick; function processClick(evt) { //Equalize the W3C and I.E. event models. evt = (evt) ? evt: ((window.event) ? event:null); if(evt){ var f=document.forms[0]; var msg; var empty_fields = ""; var errors = ""; //Asp.NET prepends user control I.D. to avoid naming collisions. //Get a reference to the user controls constituent controls. var CboStates; var CboVehicles; for (i=0; i<f.length; i++) { if(f[i].name.indexOf("UCQuoteCboStates") > -1) { CboStates=f[i]; } if(f[i].name.indexOf("UCQuoteCboVehicles") > -1) { CboVehicles=f[i]; } } if (CboVehicles.selectedIndex > 4) { caralert(); evt.cancelBubble=true; evt.returnValue=false; return false; } if (CboStates && CboStates.selectedIndex == 0) { empty_fields += "\n What state is the vehicle registered in?"; } if (CboVehicles && CboVehicles.selectedIndex < 0) { empty_fields += "\n How many vehicles should be quoted?"; } if (!empty_fields && !errors) { UserControlClick=true; return true; } msg = "__________________________________________________________\ n\n"; msg += "The quote was not submitted because of the following error(s).\n"; msg += "Please correct these error(s) and re-submit.\n"; msg += "__________________________________________________________\ n\n" if (empty_fields) { msg += "- The following required field(s) are empty:" + empty_fields + "\n"; if(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf("msie")>-1) { evt.cancelBubble=true; evt.returnValue=false; } else { evt.stopPropagation(); evt.preventDefault(); } msg += errors; alert(msg); } } }</SCRIPT>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 06-28-2008, 08:03 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by XKR
This is really a question for Hexxum.....But I will give you my opinion until then.

An insurance company can reject a claim at any time for any reason. They can say ( and I have seen this happen before) that the NOS system on that car caused that car to lose control...so this claim is rejected

Remember...insurance companies look for reasons NOT to pay...they dont sit there looking for ways to give out money.

All I am saying is ....yes....some INS companies will cover an aftermarket FI car...JUST GET IT CLEARLY ON PAPER !! Just get ready to pay a lot more for this coverage.If you are under 25....step away

Just remember...if you get in an accident and if the INS company knows in advance that you are FI...they will be looking to see if this accident was FI related...ie: Racing, system malfunction. They will first try and rule out your FI system as the main cause.

My INS company is well informed about my car. They are not happy about covering it.....but I have all my cars covered by them. I drive it less than 3000 miles a year.... so they are happy about that. If I were to survive an accident, and my car did not burn up....I would buy it anyway....too many parts on it to just give away.
well of the one claim i did make, and hearing about other peoples experiences, i am under no impression they will happily hand a check over with a smile.
now most of these questions have to do with you being responsible for doing something to your own car, either being in an accident with another car or burned in a house fire. now what about if someone else plows into you and it is their insurance company paying? they could not possibly just pay you for a stock car, right? i mean they will try, but if you have reciepts and they see obviously what is left of the car, they need to pay up, right?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Well, I checked out that link to Hagerty provided by Hexxum001. It looks like I would not qualify with them once my build is done. They won't cover a car with a cage unless it's only for car shows. Like Intense's widebody G, I need a cage to be able to run my G down the 1/4 mile.

Which brings me to another question: Does anyone insure street vehicles for weekend warriors who also track their car occasionally?

Here's the list of restrictions from Hagerty. I highlighted the restrictions in red, which apply to some of us.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top>

</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top align=middle><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function caralert(){alert('To quote more than 5 vheicles, please contact us at 1-800-922-4050');}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> //Should the form do an onsubmit check: var UserControlClick; function processClick(evt) { //Equalize the W3C and I.E. event models. evt = (evt) ? evt: ((window.event) ? event:null); if(evt){ var f=document.forms[0]; var msg; var empty_fields = ""; var errors = ""; //Asp.NET prepends user control I.D. to avoid naming collisions. //Get a reference to the user controls constituent controls. var CboStates; var CboVehicles; for (i=0; i<f.length; i++) { if(f[i].name.indexOf("UCQuoteCboStates") > -1) { CboStates=f[i]; } if(f[i].name.indexOf("UCQuoteCboVehicles") > -1) { CboVehicles=f[i]; } } if (CboVehicles.selectedIndex > 4) { caralert(); evt.cancelBubble=true; evt.returnValue=false; return false; } if (CboStates && CboStates.selectedIndex == 0) { empty_fields += "\n What state is the vehicle registered in?"; } if (CboVehicles && CboVehicles.selectedIndex < 0) { empty_fields += "\n How many vehicles should be quoted?"; } if (!empty_fields && !errors) { UserControlClick=true; return true; } msg = "__________________________________________________________\ n\n"; msg += "The quote was not submitted because of the following error(s).\n"; msg += "Please correct these error(s) and re-submit.\n"; msg += "__________________________________________________________\ n\n" if (empty_fields) { msg += "- The following required field(s) are empty:" + empty_fields + "\n"; if(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf("msie")>-1) { evt.cancelBubble=true; evt.returnValue=false; } else { evt.stopPropagation(); evt.preventDefault(); } msg += errors; alert(msg); } } }</SCRIPT>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well Rude....your post has just proven Hexxum point.....Only 1% of FI G/Z owners would ever be able to use Hagerty.

To answer your question about on track event coverage....Yes...most big name companies like State Farm, Allstate, Geico...just to name a few will cover you. Here is how it works...Tell them you are taking a "Driver Improvement Coarse" ie: Road Atlanta....NOT entering a racing event. You will pay an extra fee for that day. I do this all the time... The "Big Dawg Airport Event" was a "Driver Improvement Coarse"

I am sure Hexxum can give us more info on this.

well of the one claim i did make, and hearing about other peoples experiences, i am under no impression they will happily hand a check over with a smile.
now most of these questions have to do with you being responsible for doing something to your own car, either being in an accident with another car or burned in a house fire. now what about if someone else plows into you and it is their insurance company paying? they could not possibly just pay you for a stock car, right? i mean they will try, but if you have reciepts and they see obviously what is left of the car, they need to pay up, right?

Same applies....if someone plows into you...the "OTHER" insurance company will ONLY pay you book value. You might have to beg your own INS company to pick up the slack. Remember...if you had some kind of "Special" agreement with your INS company....it only applies to your company.

Last edited by XKR; 06-28-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 AM
overZealous1

hmm, i better call on monday to make sure. i am not stupid and knew the correct questions to ask about the coverage, and felt confident i was covered for all the aftermarket stuff also.
rather be safe than sorry though if something happens, cause if i got dodged and effed over on my car, you would see some fight club type **** happening to a couple insurance companies!!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by mrg1981
We read his post differently, and that was the misunderstanding and the main thrust of the disagreement. Agreed, except much higher than 1% qualify. I would recommend that anyone with a highly modified car look into the options, as I found them very easy to qualify for.
haha! Okay, maybe 1% was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. My point being that the majority of G's and Z's would not qualify. But if you do qualify, I highly recommend these programs. Hagerty and Grundy both have very nice programs. I have insured many classics and exotics through them.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Hexxum001

This is my suggestion to you bro. Definitely call your agent and confirm that you are being covered for the amounts that you stated. If she confirms that you do, simply ask her to give you something showing that you have this coverage. Most policies will have a special equipment section on the declarations page that will show the extra coverage for the aftermarket parts. Either that or if she states that it is automatically covered under the policy, it should be stated in the policy jacket. Have her give you a copy of the policy jacket and specifically point out where it states that. Basically what I am saying is get it in writing.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
ShAdY908

OK figured I would add my input considering I have first hand experience with this stuff

PLEASE READ. this isn't opinion based this is real true facts to answer the OP's questions

I was insured with Geico, had the extra per month for $10,000 in aftermarket parts coverage. I specified Greddy TT, Built block, etc.. in my G35.

I was in a bad accident around Christmas time (7 months ago) I hit a tree head on after losing control on black ice on the highway. Now overall the car was not that messed up. Granted I needed a new FMIC, Koyo Rad, intercooler piping and some other stuff, but not enough to total the car.

After over 2 months of "adjusters" "regional reps" etc.. visiting my car, appraising the damages, putting it on a lift at one fo their facilities, they proclaimed my car a "CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS"
^^^^ That means they don't feel comfortable getting the car back to the working condition it was in (i.e. body shop cant perform Greddy TT installs correctly. Thats why we spend thousands to have shops like PF, FP, GTM to do it right Its a liability to them if your car breaks, or even you get in another accident it could be blamed on their shotty work.

^^ That is exactly what will happen to any of you who get in an accident with an aftermarket FI. Trust me i took my $34K and walked from the deal pissed off now I drive a C6
Old 06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Hexxum001

Well, you definitely have more leverage if someone hits you. At this point, the other parties company is gonna do damage control to try to minimize what they have to pay. But since it was their insured that hit you and caused damage to your vehicle, they are obliged to return the vehicle to the condition that it was in before their insured hit you. This is when receipts and invoices come in very handy because you can prove exactly what you had on your car. It makes it easier to get paid that way. The only drawback would be the limits that the other party has on their policy. Property damage liability is the coverage that would be used on the other party's policy to repair your car. However, if the other party's PD liability limit is only $10,000, that's all the other party's insurance company is obligated to pay for the damage to your car. Then that leads right back to your policy to make up the difference either under your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or your collision coverage. But then, you are once again subject to the limitations on your own policy. And if your policy doesn't have the special equipment coverage to cover all the aftermarket parts damaged in the accident . . . . well basically you are S.O.L.

Last edited by Hexxum001; 06-28-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by ShAdY908
OK figured I would add my input considering I have first hand experience with this stuff

PLEASE READ. this isn't opinion based this is real true facts to answer the OP's questions

I was insured with Geico, had the extra per month for $10,000 in aftermarket parts coverage. I specified Greddy TT, Built block, etc.. in my G35.

I was in a bad accident around Christmas time (7 months ago) I hit a tree head on after losing control on black ice on the highway. Now overall the car was not that messed up. Granted I needed a new FMIC, Koyo Rad, intercooler piping and some other stuff, but not enough to total the car.

After over 2 months of "adjusters" "regional reps" etc.. visiting my car, appraising the damages, putting it on a lift at one fo their facilities, they proclaimed my car a "CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS"
^^^^ That means they don't feel comfortable getting the car back to the working condition it was in (i.e. body shop cant perform Greddy TT installs correctly. Thats why we spend thousands to have shops like PF, FP, GTM to do it right Its a liability to them if your car breaks, or even you get in another accident it could be blamed on their shotty work.

^^ That is exactly what will happen to any of you who get in an accident with an aftermarket FI. Trust me i took my $34K and walked from the deal pissed off now I drive a C6
Unfortunately, this is what happens more times than not. Sorry to hear that bro but I have heard this many times. Insurance companies simply DO NOT like modded cars at all. And it is very difficult to get properly covered for everything that you are spending your hard earned money on.

Quick Reply: Insurance for FI