Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Insurance for FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for FI

Do any of you guys have extra policies for your after market stuff that has been put on your car? I called my insurance agent and asked when I was traveling with my supercharger and parts in my trunk if it got stolen would it be covered? He said my homeowners policy would cover the supercharger and parts but I have to wonder now that it is installed on my car. The only reason I'm asking is I had a friend years ago who had his highly modded Mustang stolen and when they recovered that car it was pretty much a body and frame. I know the answer is to call my agent and I will but I just wanted to get some input from you guys too.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be insurable, as a modification, just like wheels or body kits. your premium will go up.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
beastie

I had the same issue with Progressive and I had to do agreed value if I wanted coverage. They would let me add (if I remember correctly) $10k extra coverage (max) for a small fee. I will look at my policy later and get back to you. Now that in no way covers what I spent but the other way was way too much $$.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
m3inaz

I just called state farm and didn't get to speak to the agent yet but they said they do offer that special protection and since I had so many policies they said It might just be 4or5bucks more..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You basically have to document the added value, then insure the extra value for collision or non-collision damage. I didn't think it was worth it...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
XKR

First off...once you tell them the car is now FI'ed...you better be over 25, because you will not like the price difference.

GEICO is very knowledgable about aftermarket FI systems. They have people that do the research on cars that fall in a certain bracket. Cars like Honda's, Z's, some Acura's....just to name a few. The G is not on their list as yet....it seem that no one with a boosted G has acted like a fool out there to get the G flagged.

Its best you tell them up front...because if something happens...like if you get in an accident and if they were not informed....they will drop you.

Most insurance companies have a program for cars like ours....They will cover the car for all added parts.

If an insurance company will not cover you for a Corvette or Porsche or any car thats known for speed....or you are under 25....dont even bother calling them.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice so far. I am insured by State Farm, howver not FI'd.
I do have +/- $6-7k in retail aftermarket bits (wheels etc.). State
Farm has a policy addendum to which you can actually name parts
and supply photos for their records. My undertstanding is that the
addendum will not necessarily increase your insurance premium,
but the case may depend on your individual situation..

I have filled this item out, and had parts replaced under same.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
PolarBearppw
Just a radiator

Damn Geico just shot me down due to the amount of customization to my car. Maybe I should have just told them about the Greddy Kit and left it at that.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by PolarBearppw
Damn Geico just shot me down due to the amount of customization to my car. Maybe I should have just told them about the Greddy Kit and left it at that.

Are you with Geico now?? If not....Telling them about Greedy would have cut the conversation short....the lizard would have slamed the phone down on you......or the cavemen would have just jumped you!!!.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Call GRUNDY insurance. They insure classic and custom cars and you reach a agreed value for the entire car. I will be switching to them when my policy expires.

BUT, if something is BOLTED to your car, you have proof of purchase and you have Comprehensive coverage they HAVE TO COVER IT. I used to install car audio and had a few 10k+ systems in my car. It was broken into 2 times and my insurance covered it both times.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Lucky for me, USAA covers everything at no extra charge as long I have my receipts.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
Call GRUNDY insurance. They insure classic and custom cars and you reach a agreed value for the entire car. I will be switching to them when my policy expires.

BUT, if something is BOLTED to your car, you have proof of purchase and you have Comprehensive coverage they HAVE TO COVER IT. I used to install car audio and had a few 10k+ systems in my car. It was broken into 2 times and my insurance covered it both times.
That is not true at all. I am a licensed insurance agent in California so I run into issues like this all of the time. Of course, all insurance companies are different and have different underwriting rules but most companies have no or very limited coverage for aftermarket (special equipment) parts. Just having comprehensive and collision coverage doesn't mean they will cover your T/TT/SC kit if there should happen to be a loss. Some companies offer additional insurance for aftermarket parts but usually that will only cover aftermarket wheels, sound system, body kits and maybe custom paint. Performance parts are a very touchy subject and most insurance companies will NOT cover them and they may surcharge you if they find out your car is modified. Modified vehicles pose a much higher risk than a stock vehicle which is why most insurance companies do not like modded vehicles at all. Some won't cover any mods period. And if they do, you will have to pay more to get some mods covered. The few companies that will cover aftermarket/performance mods are not likely to be the ones offering the best rates. In other words, you are gonna pay to play (that is the theme of being FI right). And as XKR mentioned, sometimes telling your insurance company that you have a highly modded car is not always the best thing to do.

Last edited by Hexxum001; 06-26-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Chudson coupe

this may be a stupid question, but is there any type of mechanical insurance so that if you blow the engine when FI you can get a new built one ? haha
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
PolarBearppw
Just a radiator

Originally Posted by XKR

Are you with Geico now?? If not....Telling them about Greedy would have cut the conversation short....the lizard would have slamed the phone down on you......or the cavemen would have just jumped you!!!.
Haha no I was just calling to see what kind of rate they would give me if I did switch to them.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by Chudson coupe
this may be a stupid question, but is there any type of mechanical insurance so that if you blow the engine when FI you can get a new built one ? haha
Only if the shop building your car gives you that kind of warranty. Besides that, no.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
That is not true at all. I am a licensed insurance agent in California so I run into issues like this all of the time. Of course, all insurance companies are different and have different underwriting rules but most companies have no or very limited coverage for aftermarket (special equipment) parts. Just having comprehensive and collision coverage doesn't mean they will cover your T/TT/SC kit if there should happen to be a loss. Some companies offer additional insurance for aftermarket parts but usually that will only cover aftermarket wheels, sound system, body kits and maybe custom paint. Performance parts are a very touchy subject and most insurance companies will NOT cover them and they may surcharge you if they find out your car is modified. Modified vehicles pose a much higher risk than a stock vehicle which is why most insurance companies do not like modded vehicles at all. Some won't cover any mods period. And if they do, you will have to pay more to get some mods covered. The few companies that will cover aftermarket/performance mods are not likely to be the ones offering the best rates. In other words, you are gonna pay to play (that is the theme of being FI right). And as XKR mentioned, sometimes telling your insurance company that you have a highly modded car is not always the best thing to do.
Well that's what my Allstate adjuster told me when they cut me 2 different 13k+ checks for stereo equipment. So it's it's not ENTIRELY false.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Hexxum001

I agree.....comprehensive and collision coverage means nothing to an insurance company when it comes to aftermarket FI parts...unless you and the insurance company have come to some written agreement in advance.

Most insurance companies will charge you extra for having a boosted car and some will not cover you at all....A turbo porsche will cost you way more than a NA porsche. I have to pay extra for being boosted. I was also informed by Geico that if I was not already covered by them before adding the FI parts....they would not cover me.They said thats because its not a factory Turbo car. Its just like trying to get insurance for a motorcycle and not already being covered for a car....most will just tell you to get lost.

Covering Wheels and stereo is not a big deal for them ...unless your address is in the hood....J/K .....But seriously.....Address does also matter.

YOu are cought between a rock and a hard place.....if you dont tell them and your car gets stolen...you are screwed. If you do tell them....either the price goes up or they drop you.....not to mention what happens if you reck the car.

All I can tell you is....if you are under 25 and you cant get on your parents policy...dont go FI

Last edited by XKR; 06-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
Well that's what my Allstate adjuster told me when they cut me 2 different 13k+ checks for stereo equipment. So it's it's not ENTIRELY false.
Allstate is one of the companies that I mentioned above that doesn't offer the best/competitive rates. Like I said, MOST companies will not cover aftermarket performance parts. I didn't say all companies will not. Allstate pretty much covers everything but that's why their rates are some of the highest around. Like I said, you gotta pay to play. Plus if you are not a good driver with an excellent record, Allstate will laugh in your face if you try to get insurance through them. Then you add an FI'd car to the mix and watch how fast an Allstate agent will laugh his a$$ off at you. Trust me, I have been in the insurance biz for over 10 years now and I deal with stuff like this all of the time.

Last edited by Hexxum001; 06-26-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine insured for $50k. $20k for the car itself, then an additional $30k for the modifications. she said if i had the reciepts, it would be fine.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 PM
XKR

Stereo coverage has nothing to do with FI coverage!! 99.9% of insurance companies will not cover you if you took my car to them and you were honest about whats under the hood.

The only way you would get coverage is 1) if you were already with them 2) Have more than one car and 3) over the age of 25-30. Oh yeah...4) If you have a clean record.

This is exactly what my agent told me. If you get in an accident or your car get stolen....you will only get market value for your car. If they found out that the accident was caused by so sort of FI modification...they will still cover the car at market price..(UNLESS a written agreement was made in advance)....but you will be dropppppppped. Fact not fiction.

Last edited by XKR; 06-26-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Insurance for FI