Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Why do I need a Wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have a late model Z, then you have dual factory widebands that you could read. They seem to correlate well with my TXS tuner reg wideband in the range of 12.5 - 15.5. Above and below that, they don't do so well (range is limited). They are also not as accurate at start up. But they probably give enough info for diagnostics... (not for tuning)
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weqster
Fact is, you dont need a wideband. They re a great accessory to have in a FI car, but if you are tuned correctly, its a non-issue.

It seems to me these days alot of people have widebands, but if they read 'out' they discount them as reading incorrectly. Alot just have it for show. Alot just have it cause they got caugth in marketing hype (markup anyone)? I know we got into them in the Honda scene, because DIY tuning is big.

I strongly disagree, I have been to at least 2 occasion that my A/F all of a sudden went lean for some reason, and the good thing is that I had my Laptop plugged in. If it wasn't for my Laptop started beeping (UTI beeps when knock is detected) I wouldn't have known it and kept on racing. Next thing I know my wideband was reading 12-13 A/F when on boost. I had to abandon my guys and went home right away. It is not just the tune but what if some parts in the car start failing (ie, injector, fuel pump, leak)? Do you really want to take a chance? Last thing you want is still go WOT while your A/F is very lean. I have seen many people here post having their engine blown and have no idea what was the cause because they don't have any gauge. To each his own but I would get at least 2 gauge and that is Wideband and Boost as bare minimum.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I would say that AZ weather is harder to tune for. they have drastic temperature changes within the same day......desert climate. with no humidity to help control the air temperature, you can easily see a 50 degree temperature change within a matter of hours....and that happens all the time.
You are right but I'm talking about temp changes from 0F-100F we see in the North East (Winter and Summer Season). I think Utec is a little inefficient in very very hot States since you it can only compensate up to 50C for the IAT. Let say you are tuned when IAT is around 45C, then when the weather get hotter and IAT climb to 65C then you'll be Rich since Utec can't really subtract fuel anymore. Combine this with a TN kit and 115F ambient temp then 60C IAT is easy when driving hard.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Awww, mine just flashes numbers at me really fast
Yea, I have the same problem. This dam thing has never worked since I installed it. I want to replace it, but I get so frustrated thinking of what a pain in the *** it was to install the first 10 times.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
taurran

That's why its important to have the wideband o2 sensor in the most readible position (like the a pillar). Also, it helps to go out on a straight highway and drop to about 2-3k in 3rd gear and do a pull to redline while watching the gauge. This will help you get a better idea of your AFR over the entire rpm range since it's next to impossible to watch it on lower gear pulls.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM
terps

one time I went to a reputable evo and subi tuner for some tapping of wires. left and noticed immediately something was wrong.af ratios were in the 18's. if I didn't have the guage I might have driven it a few feet further and would have blown the engine. best guage I have imho
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Rmrichards1385

Originally Posted by taurran
That's why its important to have the wideband o2 sensor in the most readible position (like the a pillar). Also, it helps to go out on a straight highway and drop to about 2-3k in 3rd gear and do a pull to redline while watching the gauge. This will help you get a better idea of your AFR over the entire rpm range since it's next to impossible to watch it on lower gear pulls.

any recommendations on which Wideband to get? You mentioned the a-pillar, but the only wideband gauges I've seen are square looking and don't have the same structure as my boost and etg will.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
NmexMAX

Good logging capability should be considered, as logging a 'run' is better than trying to eyeball the gauge and drive.

IMO, a gauge is cool to look at and good for adjusting small points like idle, etc. But in the event that something goes wrong in a hurry, you will not have much time react and 'correct' the problem considering piston speed / RPM, etc.

PLX has some nice devices (round) and LC-1, etc.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is UMS still hooking you up with the install and tune?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
SlideFox

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
SlideFox

Intense and/or UMS should have either the AEM or the Innovative Wideband in-stock.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Good logging capability should be considered, as logging a 'run' is better than trying to eyeball the gauge and drive.

IMO, a gauge is cool to look at and good for adjusting small points like idle, etc. But in the event that something goes wrong in a hurry, you will not have much time react and 'correct' the problem considering piston speed / RPM, etc.

PLX has some nice devices (round) and LC-1, etc.
+1, You cant look at your gauge 100% of the time and being able to log is valiable so you can look at it on a later time.

Like I said the price if the Tuner and Innovate isn't that much of a difference so not sure if you want to consider it. The Tuner from Turboxs will allow you to log your A/F with Utec. The Tuner is also very small that you can stick it anywhere and it has its own display that show your A/F. You can also buy this http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=170 if you want to hide the Tuner and have an external gauge that you can mount in your pillar. If you just want to monitor your A/F without any logging then just get an Innovate or AEM Wideband.

Last edited by athenG; 07-23-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Rmrichards1385
any recommendations on which Wideband to get? You mentioned the a-pillar, but the only wideband gauges I've seen are square looking and don't have the same structure as my boost and etg will.
I have an AEM UEGO but I'd recommend the Innovate widebands to anyone else.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/xd16.php
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
QuicksilverZ33

I have an Brand New Innovate LM-1 wideband with data logging for sale in the market place if anyone is interested...cheap
Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM
DanielW
Banned

the flashy lights...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
JonnyC

LC-1 for sure. Had some issues with mine, but Innovate replaced it. So far the new one has been working great. Got mine with the DB gauge, which is fine, but I wish I went with the XD-16 so I had some colors to look at out of the corner of my eye, instead of having to look at it directly to see the reading.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by JonnyC
LC-1 for sure. Had some issues with mine, but Innovate replaced it. So far the new one has been working great. Got mine with the DB gauge, which is fine, but I wish I went with the XD-16 so I had some colors to look at out of the corner of my eye, instead of having to look at it directly to see the reading.

I didn't really care about the color since it can be blue and read Rich witch is good but it without really looking at the number then it could be 10.5:1 instead of 11.2:1, both by the way is rich...lol