Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build Sheet - Forged Z Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Low Boost (.7 Bar or about 10.5 PSI IIRC) 476WHP 420 ft-lbs dyno chart:

Bit higher boost (.86 Bar or about 14 PSI IIRDC) 525WHP 448 ft-lbs dyno chart: You can start to see the TC problem manifest itself more prominently here. The TC suddenly put the power through to the wheels, and allowed the engine to rev very quickly. Then it redlined and the ECU cut fuel. That's why it dipped right after.

High Boost (22 PSI) Problem with TC is prominent:
Now the TC issue is huge. The TC would allow the engine to rev up to 5000 RPM before putting the power to the wheels. Once it hit that mark, it revved very quickly and put down tons of power. The problem is that it then hit the redline very quickly (6500 or so) and fuel was cut. Once the power came back (fuel cut/limp mode disengaged) it would put down huge power again and then hit redline very quickly again and start all over. With the TC fixed, this should make a nice, straight power curve all the way through. I'm hoping the peak HP still stays around the 700 mark, but we won't know until we get this resolved.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow nice roadster. I want mine to look just like that. the engine bay looks really clean. A big difference from where you started. Good job and keep up the good work.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
wow nice roadster. I want mine to look just like that. the engine bay looks really clean. A big difference from where you started. Good job and keep up the good work.
Thanks man! You have a performance coupe, right? IIRC, you have nice list of mods yourself. I'd love to have a car detailer in town that has and appreciates the Z such as you. I don't know of any around here.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck having even that built tranny last at those high power levels. Many have tried, as far as I know nobody has truly made it work at 600+ whp levels.

Nice build though, tons of potential.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Alberto
Good luck having even that built tranny last at those high power levels. Many have tried, as far as I know nobody has truly made it work at 600+ whp levels.

Nice build though, tons of potential.
From SGP Racing's claims, they have used this tranny in Supra's and 300ZX's with over 800 WHP. Obviously, they are selling something, but they have a great reputation overall and specifically with our cars. If the tranny cannot hold up, I expect full reimbursement or replacement. Here is the excerpt:

"SGP offers automatic race transmission builds for ALL Imports. The transmission packages in the SUPRAs, and 300ZXs, have time after time proven themselves on the track @ 800+HP. These trannys have been driven daily up to 20,000 miles a year, and been beaten severely at the track with sevral 9 & 10 second passes. We have been using the transmissions now for 3 years, with no reported failures and are confident we have finally come up with a unit that we can be confident in selling. We have tried several SO-CALLED transmission builders from the EAST coast across, with no luck in finding a tranny that would hold-up to the power we were putting through our 300 Race car. At that time the car was only making 700 RWHP, and every builder we tried, the tranny would not shift into 2nd gear, or hold a full power pass. We have now solved all those problems, and can offer you a tranny that is factory, and will hold the abuse of NOS, and high stall launches. SGP also offers Torque Converters from such manufacturers as PRO-TORQUE, and Precision Industries, which have both proven to hold up under pressure.

** UPDATE!!! 350Z & G35 Owners, .We are currently having the clutch packs and bands made to handle up to 850RWHP+. If your tranny is in good shape, the VB upgrade alone will handle up to 550....**

The Transmission Packages are ready to be built! WE have the Clutch Packs, Bands, Stators, EVERYTHING!!! Ready now. The pricing has gone up a little but now EVERY Piece has been made & can be fully built."

Do you know of anyone that has run these transmissions on a Z with over 600WHP? If so, what was the outcome?

Are you running a built AT? Which one?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know what shops claim. From experience what they claim and what they can actually do are 2 very different things. Thats no rag on your personally or SGP, many shops are like this. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981
Thanks man! You have a performance coupe, right? IIRC, you have nice list of mods yourself. I'd love to have a car detailer in town that has and appreciates the Z such as you. I don't know of any around here.
I actually have a daytona blue roadster as well. I bought it for my daily driver but it's been sitting in the garage because of gas prices.

i would love to detail that thing, looks to be in good shape anyways.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting. Mark thinks it sounds like it is a stock TC, by the way it is behaving. It is basically stalling very very high with high boost. It will not let power through to the wheels (it is just spinning) until about 5000RPM and then redline is at 6500 RPM, so there is no room to make power. Any thoughts on this?
No that does not sound like a stock TC (which has a very low stall and will bog). It sounds like a broken one. The stator is not reversing the direction of fluid flow so you will lose all low end power - the clutch that connects it to the shaft may be shot. That's just a guess by your description. Call Andre at Edge Racing and he will be able to dx it over the phone. (I'm pretty sure they build the GTM TC's). Never hurts to get a 2nd opinion. Good luck.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-06-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Marshall, again dood... your car is just dope! You have just about everything except the exterior styling. If you add anything to the outside, I would have Han install a Veilside V1 lip kit. It's suttle and will add just that extra missing piece.

One of these days, you'll have to take me for a ride in that thing!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Marshall, again dood... your car is just dope! You have just about everything except the exterior styling. If you add anything to the outside, I would have Han install a Veilside V1 lip kit. It's suttle and will add just that extra missing piece.

One of these days, you'll have to take me for a ride in that thing!
Sure thing. We'll have to meet up some time. I'm hitting Firebird this Friday evening for open drags.

I just got back from driving around town again. We saw Pineapple Express and afterwards I had nowhere in particular to go, but it was nice vert weather. I love just cruizin'. I also love just nailing the throttle and roaring. I think I brought out the cops though, there were suddenly cops everywhere I went and they came out of parking lots as I passed by. No tickets though, just a bit of slowing down for the man.

Thanks for the advice on the V1 lip. I'll have to check that out. Any photoshop experts wanna do me a solid one so I can see my car with that kit?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by rcdash
No that does not sound like a stock TC (which has a very low stall and will bog). It sounds like a broken one. The stator is not reversing the direction of fluid flow so you will lose all low end power - the clutch that connects it to the shaft may be shot. That's just a guess by your description. Call Andre at Edge Racing and he will be able to dx it over the phone. (I'm pretty sure they build the GTM TC's). Never hurts to get a 2nd opinion. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn about my car still. After reading your thoughts, I called Jason at Pro-EFI for some more information. He said this is definitely NOT the stock TC and it is probably the one I bought from SGP (Pro-Torque Converter). The car drives wonderfully at low boost, but when it is turned up, it is too loose for driveability. He suggested running the stock TC for a while to see how it drives. He thinks I will be very happy with that. He said my car makes way more low-end torque than it needs to, so the low stall shouldn't be an issue. once again, thanks for the information. it was very helpful.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I actually have a daytona blue roadster as well. I bought it for my daily driver but it's been sitting in the garage because of gas prices.

i would love to detail that thing, looks to be in good shape anyways.

Oh snap! You have 2 Z's? True baller status there! 1 Z for Friday Night Drags and 1 Z for Saturday Night Date. Sweeeeeet!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 AM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by Alberto
I know what shops claim. From experience what they claim and what they can actually do are 2 very different things. Thats no rag on your personally or SGP, many shops are like this. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
Alberto,

Since you have experience with built AT's and you have had problems with your car recently, I greatly appreciate any feedback you could provide. I would like to avoid any problems down the road. Could you post or PM me any personal experience in this regard? I'd really, really, really appreciate anything I can learn from you.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice to see. I hope to see you out soon more TT roadsters is awesome!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Alberto,

Since you have experience with built AT's and you have had problems with your car recently, I greatly appreciate any feedback you could provide. I would like to avoid any problems down the road. Could you post or PM me any personal experience in this regard? I'd really, really, really appreciate anything I can learn from you.
wat?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
DanielW
Banned

how do you like the built 5at from SGP? Does it clunk and clang at all? Excuse my technical jargon
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Alberto has a 6MT. I think his statement was a general one in regards to the situation.

I think your plan of swapping to a stock TC is a good one and wish I had tried the stock TC first before upgrading. I asked Andre the same thing (because my TC generates so much heat) and he said he wouldn't recommend it because of the low stall, cavitation, and no strengthened internals.

Now in regards to low stall, your low end torque is higher than before so your stall will go up no matter what. I don't understand the need to raise stall in a car that has such a large powerband.

I don't understand why the stock TC experiences cavitation.

I can understand the need for furnace brazed fins, so I finally agreed.

I told him I wanted to keep the stock stall and he wouldn't let me. He said I would be unhappy. He said he would adjust it minimally above stock (3000 rpms).

That new TC is sitting in my garage. I live a good ways from FP so I'm debating whether I can trust the local dealer to swap it in.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
mrg1981

Just a quick update. I installed a new Protorque TC that was tested in a 350Z with similar power to mine and it stalled to 3400rpm. I feel confident that this will help a lot.

I also sent the ECU to Technosquare for a limited spec program. The main program change was to increase the rev limit (fuel cut) to 8000rpm. This should get rid of the problems I had running the 1/4. It was killing the fuel from 1st to 2nd on every run. The car would not respond to throttle for almost a full second.

Now that the redline is increased and the TC should be working better, I'm putting some DOT DR's on it and running the 1/4 in a week or so. I'll update when the new dyno is done and with new slips and video. I got a camera mount for better quality video too!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
FrickU

Your car went in in December and you are barely getting it back???
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickU
Your car went in in December and you are barely getting it back???
Marshall got it back then took it back in, and then got it back and then took it back in... He kept adding more and more stuff to it. Then there were some mechanical issues with the build, so it had to leave Intense and go back to the shop that built the motor.

Marshall, are you gonna go to Firebird?

Quick Reply: My Build Sheet - Forged Z Roadster