Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger Belt Issues? Here's a fix: AAM Supercharger Brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Honestly its on sale sure, is it going to sell............ And lately i cant ssssay ill be able to part ways with this car.. I think I love this car wayyyyyyyy too much..
i know EXACTLY how you feel
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does AAM send you the wrong bolts twice? I mean, its cool they're helping you out, but it seems like they would already know what length bolts they need to send with the brace, yes?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
How does AAM send you the wrong bolts twice? I mean, its cool they're helping you out, but it seems like they would already know what length bolts they need to send with the brace, yes?
LOL, very true. You guys can blame it on me. I ordered bolts for warehouse stock that were a little shorter than the ones we stock in the shop (which we use for install on the bracket) - I never noticed the difference until Jason pointed it out. And I forgot to add the 3/8-16 Hex Heads in the package

Everything is corrected and should be to you in no time! No more extra cash spent on belts, you should be romping on it by the weekend. Thanks for your patience Jason!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

bump for an update
Old 09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Just finished install.. It was not too bad, took 3 hours of hardcore sweat (lost my mind a few times and threw tools/said **** a billion times!!).. If AAM can do this in 30 minutes (Clint told me one of his techs did this) they either have way better tools than me or they are GODs( I did have to figure out alot myself)... I was sent intructions but honestly I didnt go by them because I didnt get much from them, not enough detail i guess.. I have pics and I will post my experience for anyone else purchasing this product wont have such a hard time figuring this out....

Installation pics/my instructions...

First step is to remove all of the procharger belts, the two jackshaft pulleys and the jackshaft itself..

Then you have to loosen up the three allen bolts holding the bracket, hard to get to but a ratchet allen key makes it easier..

You then have to remove the entire jackshaft by removing one thick washer and knocking the shaft out.. You must then remove the jackshaft bracket and detach it from the supercharger ( 4 small allen key bolts ) also remove 6 bolts holding a U shape spacer.. Maybe I am adding this step but it makes it easier to tighten the bracket bolts, and I didnt see any other way of making it happen honestly.. AAM instructions show different if i remember correctly..

Once you do that you can get that bracket in there very easy, tighten the two long bolts.. Then start re-installing the jackshaft bracket etc..

This is a brand new jackshaft, I really felt the install was impossible with that in the bracket to reinstall it.. So you dont re install the jackshaft until the bracket for the shaft is in there first..

This picture illustrates what im talking about, I didnt put that jackshaft back in until the entire bracket was back together.. Once it looks like this, your ready to move on to put the jackshaft bearing back in..

Different angle of the same above pic.. This is where i lost alot of time/got lost in translation/install instructions didnt guide me in the right direction here.. .... Once I was here I simply had to bolt up the last two bolts on the new bracket..

Im skipping alot of small details, but if anyone has any questions just PM me.. I then re installed new keyways and a new pulley.. Re installed all the pulleys and belts, re-tensioned them and was good to go..

All done here..... Some of the small things take up so much time ( like removing the jackshaft washer major PITA ) ... This isnt hard IMO just tedious..

Back to FI here and ready to test out the new rebuilt SC and AAM bracket.. Ill let you know how it feels tmrw..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-12-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

I think these pics/thread combined with the AAM instructions will save other owners time and frustration..
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Clint@Altered
Banned

I think these pics/thread combined with the AAM instructions will save other owners time and frustration..
Jason, Thanks for the input. I'm glad you got it on. I'll work on tidying up the instructions. I'm sure it will save you from a future of frustrating belt issues. As far as the 30 minute install time - well that's a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Coming from the guys who designed and installed the bracket countless times over the last four months, maybe - especially with some specialty tools (Mercedez Benz low profile allen ratchets, custom cnc tools etc - LOL, we have a habit of making our own tools). I tried the install myself this week and I agree, it is a serious PITA!! 2-3hrs minimum unless you've done it before. But the results are well worth the frustration ! Let me know if you ever need anything else.

-Clint
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Nexx

so did what are you impressions? did it help with maintaining boost or give you more?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
so did what are you impressions? did it help with maintaining boost or give you more?
Bro, I didnt even drive it.. After the install i was beat (combined with my daily job)..

I will give an impression today..

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
Jason, Thanks for the input. I'm glad you got it on. I'll work on tidying up the instructions. I'm sure it will save you from a future of frustrating belt issues. As far as the 30 minute install time - well that's a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Coming from the guys who designed and installed the bracket countless times over the last four months, maybe - especially with some specialty tools (Mercedez Benz low profile allen ratchets, custom cnc tools etc - LOL, we have a habit of making our own tools). I tried the install myself this week and I agree, it is a serious PITA!! 2-3hrs minimum unless you've done it before. But the results are well worth the frustration ! Let me know if you ever need anything else.

-Clint
Thanks Clint, I know now that I have done it once... I can do it again faster but I doubt 30 minutes.. I need some of those benz tools etc..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-14-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:09 AM
pmohr

Bro, I didnt even drive it.. After the install i was beat (combined with my daily job)..

I will give an impression today..

Thanks Clint, I know now that I have done it once I can do it again faster but I doubt 30 minutes.. I need some of those benz tools etc..
Personally I think removing the entire bracket to do everything is much easier, and doesn't take all too long. Really only thing you need to do is remove the serpentine belt, intake, and charge pipes (all cog belts can stay in place).

Custom tools definitely help out the job though, for example one I made specifically for Procharger setups:

Shitty pic, my camera sucks. Basically a 5/16" 1/4"-drive socket with an 8mm allen key epoxied into place. The allen key sticks out enough to perfectly bottom out in the main bracket bolts (with idler pulleys and spacers behind them). Break them loose with an allen key and a wrench, or a regular 8mm allen socket and a breaker bar, then switch to this with a 1/4" ratchet. The small ratchet and socket that's as small as possible allows for a lot more clearance between the ratchet and fan shroud, making everything a lot easier and quicker (also leads to less swearing). Although now that I think about it, cutting the socket in half would make it even smaller, and easier to get in there...hmm.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 AM
SC 350Z

bump hows it working?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

For the two minutes i had it back up.. It sounded so beautiful.... Like better than ever before.. ATI upraded it to a 10:1 ratio.. For those two minutes i was free, no cares in life, not my Soldiers, not the bills, nothing.. I was free.. Then the worst happens....

Now i have to send it back to ATI.. Something went wrong internally and it locked up( the SC )..
So I tore it back out and boxed it up for tmrw to be rebuilt...

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-14-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW!!! What a PITA. I never knew those moved THAT much.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

You actually dont see the bracket move at all.. You see the belt flap on a dyno then break into pieces..

This is only on a dyno for me.. Otherwise my belts last a loooong time.. Even at my high boost application..
Old 09-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Mr_pharmD

how much hp did u make at 16psi?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Im not sure because I havent had luck on a dyno to get above 13psi or so.. Belts kept breaking, had a boost leak, intake filter wasnt on tight etc.. Now that I have this brace I will get it redynoed as soon as i get my SC back from rebuild.. Should be a week tops.. I wont quit!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Nexx

dont quit Jay, your mission to have the most badass procharger Z is almost over!! 16psi of supercharging love here shortly folks!!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Thanks Nexx, I should be getting the fedex ticket emailed to me from procharger today and hopefully mail it out today or tmrw.. ATI said they would take care of it.. Well see...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Mayhem702

Man i went throgth so much trying to figure out why my belt keep popping of when i upgraded my boost. I keep calling procharger and the would tell me there my belt tension was not right. This is a defective system. They should not sell the pully upgrade if there bracket cant handel it!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Procharger has been rebuilt, should get it back by monday!! ATI customer service FTMFW! Rebuilt in one day ........ Cant wait!!