Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger and harmonic dampening

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:57 AM
jeffw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger and harmonic dampening

Out of curiosity, how are the pulleys affected with the procharger install?

I'm guessing the main pulley gets pulled and replaced with a big fat one that runs both the accessories belt and the supercharger belt? In any case, does the new procharger install maintain the stock dampening characteristics?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-01-2003, 01:53 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

From what i've heard the stock crank pulley is retained.......i'll let you know for sure tonight when i open my Procharger box
Old 08-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Spencer@AAM

The stock pulley is used. Those that have installed a lightweight pulley and are going with the procharger should put the stock pulley back on. The harmonic balancer is important, especially in FI applications. The added force on the bearings from forced induction *could* prove costly if the harmonic balancer were not present.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:42 PM
jeffw

Hmmm. So it seems that the serpentine accessories belt is now driving an extra pulley. Then this new pulley also turns the supercharger belt?

That seems odd. If the procharger requires that big, fat, toothed belt then I'd think you'd want to be turning that belt right from the main pulley (and keep the thin serpentine belt seperate). Maybe that explains why some other guys are having belt squeal issues.

--
Jeff
Old 08-01-2003, 09:23 PM
G3po

Default belts

Cogged and un-cogged belts.

The need for cogged belts can also be mandated due to smaller pully diameters / contact area. Larger factory pulleys often need no cogs since they have more area for grip (ie. larger portion of the pulley's circumference). ATI surely need to keep the pulley diamters samll inroder to sqeeze the rig inot the tigh space remaining, so un-cogged belts (in the kit) probalby were not an option.

Yes it could contribute to the squeel issue , but note the squeel issue has been occuring just after cold start when the SC compressor is actually bypassed and adding "very little" drag. Probably less drag than the AC/defroster during this period. Max drag dur to ATI will occur at max SC PSI (high boost RPM not at cold start idle).