Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

conservative and aggro is all relative like you say. But since the baseline power typically seen in the 18g kits is no where near your setup, the tendency is to say its aggressive.

Its unfair to say that everyone should have that kinda power as your setup is not common either. Should someone with the same mods be able to mimic your performance, possibly.

I've always wondered what constitutes a completed tune. More or less the word of the tuner thats its completed, I suppose.

But when you read 90% of the threads saying I want reliability first and foremost, its not surprising that many tunes dont realize the full potential of the kit. Plus I'm sure reputable tuners dont wanna pop a motor on their dyno.

When I get my final tune done, it will be run what I brung. I dont have any goals but I didnt buy a 3 bar MAP sensor to run 18 psi. I'll probably need NO2 to even get going, but that was my choice in parts. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kick *** man!

i would be very happy with your pump gas non-meth numbers.

i have the 20gs with the cjm intake manifold, but unfortunately i only have the little jwt s1 cams in there from years ago. i have BC2s but i dont plan on putting them in anytime soon. I wonder if my headwork and intake manifold can get by without the larger cams on the big end, we will see soon.

it will be killer to compare our pump gas non-meth numbers in a couple more weeks... if my old *** clutch even holds for now.

BTW i think you have posted the first dyno graph ive seen to make more power per psi on the 18gs then my 5 year old graph of 573rwhp at 14.5 psi, with SAE correction... but even at STD that wouldnt bring me up to your numbers.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Is it safe to turn a turbo motor that high? 8,000 seems like its well into NA range out of safe FI territory.
Nothing in this setup is safe. Safe = stock

Will 8000rpm abuse all the time wear parts more than 7000rpms? Yes, thats why I hardly do it. Could this motor potentially last a while? Yes, could it blow up tomorrow? Yes.

I have JWT valvetrain in the heads, obviously the block is built and its doing what its doing.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Charles, are those real 20G's from the Greddy Factory or wanna be's like mine?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8K is prolly max you would ever want to see without doing some other things.

To go beyond that you really need a billet girdle to keep the block in shape....that and great bearings, cams that will get you there, a intake mani that flows, most likely at least some port work in the heads, and a really efficient turbo setup that can maintain at those rpms....

I think the only cars that have really been over 8000rpm is SP's and Injected's cars (the race car, and Hal's street car).

Tom

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Is it safe to turn a turbo motor that high? 8,000 seems like its well into NA range out of safe FI territory.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by str8dum1
conservative and aggro is all relative like you say. But since the baseline power typically seen in the 18g kits is no where near your setup, the tendency is to say its aggressive.

Its unfair to say that everyone should have that kinda power as your setup is not common either. Should someone with the same mods be able to mimic your performance, possibly.

I've always wondered what constitutes a completed tune. More or less the word of the tuner thats its completed, I suppose.

But when you read 90% of the threads saying I want reliability first and foremost, its not surprising that many tunes dont realize the full potential of the kit. Plus I'm sure reputable tuners dont wanna pop a motor on their dyno.

When I get my final tune done, it will be run what I brung. I dont have any goals but I didnt buy a 3 bar MAP sensor to run 18 psi. I'll probably need NO2 to even get going, but that was my choice in parts. LOL
Some experienced guys would agree with me, but I feel like most big shops run super conservative numbers and the forums are accustomed to it. It doesnt mean that my numbers cant be the norm, or they are aggressive, its a sad situation IMO, but thats another thread and time.

Im waiting for somebody local to step up a fuel system on an APS Extreme and let Ray see what it does before he feels its too far. Or somebody with a Greddy kit could go there and Id bet given the setup it would kick a$$.

FWIW to you-Ray runs an almost identical setup with wayyyy more miles AND power than me and he has had no issues. And his setup was thousands cheaper than mine in terms of parts
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nothing in this setup is safe. Safe = stock

Will 8000rpm abuse all the time wear parts more than 7000rpms? Yes, thats why I hardly do it. Could this motor potentially last a while? Yes, could it blow up tomorrow? Yes.

I have JWT valvetrain in the heads, obviously the block is built and its doing what its doing.
Yeah, safe is a subjective term in my use, but it sounds as though it is more relative to the use its subjected to. Wicked numbers nonetheless!

Last edited by Zazz93; 04-05-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by phunk
kick *** man!

i would be very happy with your pump gas non-meth numbers.

i have the 20gs with the cjm intake manifold, but unfortunately i only have the little jwt s1 cams in there from years ago. i have BC2s but i dont plan on putting them in anytime soon. I wonder if my headwork and intake manifold can get by without the larger cams on the big end, we will see soon.

it will be killer to compare our pump gas non-meth numbers in a couple more weeks... if my old *** clutch even holds for now.

BTW i think you have posted the first dyno graph ive seen to make more power per psi on the 18gs then my 5 year old graph of 573rwhp at 14.5 psi, with SAE correction... but even at STD that wouldnt bring me up to your numbers.
Good $hit, when you have the numbers lets compare for BS'ing sake.

At the end of the day 550whp or 650whp all kicks a$$ on pump on the street.

My car honestly makes enough power to hook in low boost, and more than enough in higher boost (especially TQ) to not hook and give me issues laying it down. To spin into 3rd in the summer and think about more power is stupid IMO for what I use it for.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its a good thing I have seen #'s from similar setups, so I have an idea where I want to be.

With more people pushing their tunes with higher hp/psi dynos, it will possibly challenge more tuners to create better maps for their clients.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
athensgls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes sense those 18g's should push enough for 700+ acording to their maps. 20g's should throw down some numbers closer to 900. my buddy has one 20g on an eclipse making 440 AWD.maybe the 20g's want more of a 3.5 or 4" exhaust? possibly a taller or more efficient manifold to accomidate the extra air. just simple thermodynamics and chemistry. Cumbustion is a reaction, add more reagents (O2 and Fuel) and shift the rxn to the right making more power.

Last edited by athensgls; 04-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by athensgls
makes sense those 18g's should push enough for 700+ acording to their maps. 20g's should throw down some numbers closer to 900. my buddy has one 20g on an eclipse making 440 AWD.maybe the 20g's want more of a 3.5 or 4" exhaust? possibly a taller or more efficient manifold to accomidate the extra air. just simple thermodynamics and chemistry. Cumbustion is a reaction, add more reagents (O2 and Fuel) and shift the rxn to the right making more power.
I wish I could have been that Guinea Pig to prove that case. Best I could do without purchasing new turbos and piping and inter-cooler was to upgrade the turbos and hope for some more impressive results. SO I guess I did prove that you really need the real-deal turbos and appropriate piping to make it happen.
Sorry for OT.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

The past couple of years has had me interested much more in other hobbies than my Z. Seeing my car yesterday left my mind thinking of whats next?

Perhaps next year I'll do something different...I'll run this setup till it breaks.

I do hope to get to the track again, but knowing full well what can happen there I almost dont wanna do it early in the season and potentially ruin the summer with the car. Go broke or go home.... or I'll be breaking and going home lol...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
rrmedicx

I know how you feel, but considering that you and I would get Squat for our cars if the motor isn't working makes me want to preserve it as much as possible. I plan to run it at the track this year as much as I can, but I doubt I will even make it to high boost. Gotta start low and work my way up. This should hopefully extend the life of the car somewhat. Or at least minimize the damage that can occur from racing.

Hey Berto are you running the pro-axles or what?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I run the DSS Level 5's

The cotter pin fell out after 2 passes on one of them and I had to rpelace them at the track before returning home. Had em welded in, no issues since.

Even with preloading with 680ft/lbs off the line and an ignorant launch something interesting is going to happen
Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
IslandZavage

have u thought of switching your Haltec to the ProEFI for the traction control option coming? I think i saw that your tuner PF tunes them..
Old 04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

No I havent even considered it.

My right foot has fun controlling traction.

WOT traction control, WOT boxes to help people shift, now most sports cars have paddle shifters + auto clutches, whats next? Letting other people drive your car?

Regarding the ProEFI Ray has one in his car now IIRC, he did tell me it was an awesome unit and did everything he wanted it to.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

lol 680ft/lb. motherbitch....... thats all i got to say haha.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
jtgli

Hey Berto, Im almost near done with my build and have been really considerding bringing the car to Ray and let him work some magic. Where exactly is he located at?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Now you see why I chuckle and comment on all these 20G numbers and different setups people try to promote as being better than 18G's.

Obviously the little turbines lead to the TQ curve up top, especially at high boost, but overall the powerband is kick a$$ IMO, look at low boost TQ curve its over 500ft/lbs from 3500-6000rpm's.....regarding the parts like I said nothing special, and it can dish out a$$ whoopings without any "I'll race you tomorrow so I can mix some race fuel" BS...

http://<span style="color:Red">www.p...ars.com</span> - I owe it all to Ray, as the car just wasnt "awake" immediately after the rebuild.

We'll see what the summer brings!
I cant wait Bert!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by jtgli
Hey Berto, Im almost near done with my build and have been really considerding bringing the car to Ray and let him work some magic. Where exactly is he located at?
He moved a few months ago but not far from where he was. IIRC he is in Frederick, MD. From Baltimore its a solid hour.

Quick Reply: ** Update on my Car - Pics, Numbers, Videos **