Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got Some Codes, Need some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris'smax
you have mail
got it, I am working a little slow though. My daughter just woke up and needs attention...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

sorry man, no matter what format I put the log in it is to huge for even me to upload to here.

I have tried

.doc
.pdf.
,txt
zip

nothing will go small enough.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should open with excel I thought
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

it does, but the file is to big to upload to the forum to share in excel format (or any other for that matter)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Did you ask if your ECU had been switched with another customer's?

The only time I have seen those codes, is when I have a different ECU in a car during a trouble shooting session. It means the key doesnt match the ECU in the car. Also should mean that the red light on your dashboard (near the windshielf) is always on.

Either way, shouldnt have anything to do with the issue you are having with your car. If the NATS kicks in, the engine will never restart. Also, with Haltech or any standalone, the engine will still start, since the stock ECU no longer controls fuel and timing.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
sorry man, no matter what format I put the log in it is to huge for even me to upload to here.

I have tried

.doc
.pdf.
,txt
zip

nothing will go small enough.

thanks for the help, it was worth a try
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 AM
chris'smax

I cut down the file size so i could attach it. I cut out some of the data from when i started it and while it was idling. Now the log shows idle to driving back to idlle (when it stalled).

2 CIPHER_10-9-2008_6-48-39_PM.zip
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by rcdash
I would start with the fuses for the NATS, as specified in the FSM for your car.
Exactly!

To me it is significant if an error code pops up right as the problem happens. Perhaps the problem causes the engine to stall and that just naturally causes the NATS DTC's to come on, but I don't think anyone knows that. I have had lots and lots of DTC codes, but I have never seen those NATS codes before.

The reason I posted the Service Manual pages from a G35 manual was to get people thinking in this direction.

If someone can point me to a Service Manual for Chris' 350z I will look up the codes and post them here.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like your passenger side fuel is being cut off near the end there. Weird. That's all I see that is obvious. Based on what I see here, the next step is to swap out the FCON. If that doesn't fix it, then swap out the injectors on the passenger side. For those looking at the log, the problem appears to start at row 4274, timestamp 669312.

edit: jb, I saw your post. I think it may be unrelated since in the log the TPS doesn't really change - so NATS doesn't appear to be killing throttle. It was a good thought though. Something is going wrong with one bank fueling in the FCON.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-10-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Did you ask if your ECU had been switched with another customer's?

The only time I have seen those codes, is when I have a different ECU in a car during a trouble shooting session. It means the key doesnt match the ECU in the car. Also should mean that the red light on your dashboard (near the windshielf) is always on.

Either way, shouldnt have anything to do with the issue you are having with your car. If the NATS kicks in, the engine will never restart. Also, with Haltech or any standalone, the engine will still start, since the stock ECU no longer controls fuel and timing.
If the ECU was switched by the shop, wouldn't this problem have happened from the time he picked his car up?

In this case the tuner drove and tuned the car and the owner drove the car from Florida to Louisiana without any problems at all. A 10 hour drive. Now all of a sudden the car develops problems and won't run longer that 15 minutes at a time.

I think something happened once he got the car home. I'm not saying the owner did anything to it. I admit I'm not an expert like some of you guys, I just try to determine what's going on from the relevant data. It seems to me that something in the NATS system is causing the problem. I would continue to look there.

I wonder if Cipher can monitor any of the NATS system's sensors?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
chris'smax

Looks like your passenger side fuel is being cut off near the end there. Weird. That's all I see that is obvious.
yea i noticed that. But i can't think of anything that would just cause that on one bank
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by __jb
If the ECU was switched by the shop, wouldn't this problem have happened from the time he picked his car up?

In this case the tuner drove and tuned the car and the owner drove the car from Florida to Louisiana without any problems at all. A 10 hour drive. Now all of a sudden the car develops problems and won't run longer that 15 minutes at a time.

I think something happened once he got the car home. I'm not saying the owner did anything to it. I admit I'm not an expert like some of you guys, I just try to determine what's going on from the relevant data. It seems to me that something in the NATS system is causing the problem. I would continue to look there.

I wonder if Cipher can monitor any of the NATS system's sensors?

Yea that is the perplexing part of this whole situation jb.

I don't think cipher can monitor anything w/ the nats system since there really isn't anything to monitor per say.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
rcdash

yea i noticed that. But i can't think of anything that would just cause that on one bank
injector drivers or injectors. I had a UTEC that stuck my injectors wide open on one bank only. not good.

Maybe one of the harnesses for one of the injectors is not fully engaged on the passenger side? I'd take the plenum off and see if there is any evidence of a fuel leak and unplug and replug the harnesses (check for bent pins). If all looks ok, only other option is to swap FCONs. Can that be done remotely if you send JT your FCON, can he transfer the maps onto a new unit and ship it out to you?

Last edited by rcdash; 10-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to mention all the miles of break in and all the days on the dyno.

this is definitely a weird computer issue. i hope we figure it out soon for you chris.

the car left the shop with NO issues. they would have been fixed if there were any...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 AM
rcdash

Chris, I got a chance to graph the AFR and it looks like AFR is screwed up on both banks (though when the car died it was only one bank). Take a look at the attached pic. The AFR is only steady in the middle part. Can you confirm the car ran ok during the "flat" region? I think your FCON may be faulty or the wiring harness but I think the harness is less likely to be faulty since both banks are giving trouble (not just a single wire fault). Injectors probably fine. Swapping out the FCON seems like the next logical step.
Attached Thumbnails Got Some Codes, Need some help!!!-chris-afr.jpg  

Last edited by rcdash; 10-10-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you get a loaner fcon from PF to try the swap? hard to belive its wiring as it s all plug n play right? no splicing?

also swap the stock ecu?

dont see much of any way foward from this point.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
chris'smax

Chris, I got a chance to graph the AFR and it looks like AFR is screwed up on both banks (though when the car died it was only one bank). Take a look at the attached pic. The AFR is only steady in the middle part. Can you confirm the car ran ok during the "flat" region? I think your FCON may be faulty or the wiring harness but I think the harness is less likely to be faulty since both banks are giving trouble (not just a single wire fault). Injectors probably fine. Swapping out the FCON seems like the next logical step.

raj is the left axis of the graph AFR? The car ran fine (from what i could tell) the whole time until it started to die.

WHAT THE *** IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!!! I hope HKS has a good warranty plan.

Sorry i had to vent
Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
rcdash

raj is the left axis of the graph AFR? The car ran fine (from what i could tell) the whole time until it started to die.

WHAT THE *** IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!!! I hope HKS has a good warranty plan.

Sorry i had to vent
Yep the vertical axis is AFR. The bottom axis is your time column. Every device built has a failure rate associated with it. Sorry you had to be on the receiving end... Everything is pushed/plugged in tight, right? Undo the plug and play harness and look for bent pins or something amiss.

Something is definitely not right with the stock wideband readings, if you believe them. Weird that you felt nothing wrong on start up but the AFRs are changing very quickly, dipping back down. At the end of the logging, the passenger side gets stuck at full lean (no fuel).

Last edited by rcdash; 10-10-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
blasian

You gonna swap with Jason Chris?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i still will almost bet money its not the fcon and its actually in your factory wiring harness. we have seen this same exact thing happen before.

Quick Reply: Got Some Codes, Need some help!!!