Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

recommended ems for procharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 08:47 AM
tylerxfire

haha, now im interested in why you said that about removing all seeds and everything if it isn't tobacco, thats funny and i would anyway but why. yeah i have heard all good things about mrc and julian, but what is the deal with the f-con? better than utec?
Old 10-14-2008 | 09:02 AM
Highway Riding

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
haha, now im interested in why you said that about removing all seeds and everything if it isn't tobacco, thats funny and i would anyway but why. yeah i have heard all good things about mrc and julian, but what is the deal with the f-con? better than utec?
The FCON is a full standalone.. very ballerish!
Old 10-14-2008 | 09:34 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

not the lower end Fcon
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:01 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
My utec works fine. I dont have any cold/hot start issues, transition into boost is relatively smooth, no temp compensation issues, even the built in boost controller has worked good for me thus far. I dont regret using it at all.

Are there better EMS's out there for the Z? For sure - the Haltech, ProEFI (or whatever) and Fcon have tons more features... But not at this price point. A Haltech costs 3x as much.

edit: The only thing that annoys me to date about the Utec is TurboXS's complete abandoning of the platform. Dont ever expect any updates or support from them.
+1.

Love my UTEC. No problems with it at all.

These EMS discussions remind me of the days when shops were recommending sleeving for XXX whp. Fast-forward a few years, now we realize sleeving isn't neccessary at all and just an added expense.

The same can be said about UTEC vs. Standalones in a sense (Not saying Standalones are a bad thing though). UTEC isn't the sexy thing on the market now, but it still does what it's supposed to even though it doesn't have the nice UI or eye-candy.

Sure - If I had the need/money, I'd get a Haltech. I probably still will someday, but I don't have a need right now... My UTEC is filling the bill nicely. Been running/tuning it for almost 2 years.

Anyway, I was exploring a few hidden ROM addresses on my TXS Tuner the other day, and found a few Easter Eggs (Hidden Code). Looks like the Development team came from Australia and they had all their names in there with their contributions to the project. Maybe we should go hunt them down for updates. Lol~ :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 10-24-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:05 AM
JonnyC

A lot of people hate on the UTEC, but I think it's a bargain at $600 (used). There are some issues. I had major hot-start issues with 650cc injectors, but with 440's now (really more like 400's), it starts up every time. With the 650's i noticed some bucking when barely rolling back on the throttle after decel. Haven't noticed it with the 440's though. That was and is the extent of my issues with it.

Coupled with the UTI software (www.jeffsoftware.com), this thing completely meets my needs for a sub 400hp car. Yes, it's quite simple compared to the more expensive EMS's out there that will not have any sort of transition problems, but it's a good workhorse. I'm still surprised at how stock-like the car runs for the price. Don't spend 3x as much simply because a shop told you you should. There are plenty of other things you could spend your money on.

Now, if was going to need to run 600cc+ injectors, I would start looking into a different EMS since the hot-starts really annoyed me.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:31 AM
SpoilsofWar

I run 650cc's and have no hot start issues.

IMO the majority of these hot start issues people have are due to excessively high base fuel pressure. Yes, the Utec has a hand in it, but most of the problem can be fixed by lowering BFP. It seems to be the only thing thats different between my setup and those who's cars stall starting when hot.
Old 10-14-2008 | 12:20 PM
str8dum1

ya my base pressure is 41 psi and occasionally i'll have hot start issues with my 600s. not all the time, but when it happens i have to blip the throttle and she starts right up.

its just because the stock ecu controls startup.
Old 10-14-2008 | 01:14 PM
JonnyC

I run 650cc's and have no hot start issues.

IMO the majority of these hot start issues people have are due to excessively high base fuel pressure. Yes, the Utec has a hand in it, but most of the problem can be fixed by lowering BFP. It seems to be the only thing thats different between my setup and those who's cars stall starting when hot.
Yeah, that's right. My BFP is higher than most - around 50 psi. Don't really feel like dropping 1k on a fuel return setup though.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:52 PM
ttg35fort
Professional
Premier Member

I love my F-CON V Pro, but if I didn't have a tuner close by who is an authorized F-CON dealer with the HKS software (and who takes the time for road tunes for drivability purposes), I would go with Haltech. I can't give an opinion about the less expensive options, but think ahead. Is there a chance that someday you will want and/or need a stand-alone EMS? If so, my suggestion is to go with the one that can suit your future needs too. It's not pleasent to replace aftermarket components for wich you have already spent good money.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 10-14-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:53 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I love my F-CON V Pro, but if I didn't have a tuner close by who is an authorized F-CON dealer with the HKS software (and who takes the time for road tunes for drivability purposes), I would go with Haltech.
+1
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:17 PM
XKR

He is a cop !

One is a piggyback and the other is a stand alone system. Yes the F-con is better than the Utec.

Last edited by XKR; 10-14-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:53 PM
frankie945

If the Haltech plugs into the factory ecu how is it that your saying it's a standalone?
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:41 PM
SpoilsofWar

Its not a Standalone in the purest sense of the word. All of the Z specific EMS's still retain the factory ECU for some functions.
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:55 PM
TinmansZ

I did the same thing as SweetdreamsZ and started out with a Utec. Was never really happy with it, hot start problems, just never ran really smooth.

I chose to upgrade to the Fcon with knock amp an navigator, Sam at GTM tuned it an the car runs better then ever. I wish I would have done so from the begining. I spent 8 to 9 hundred for the Utec and map sensor plus another grand for tuning when you include travel time, hotels gas exc. to get the car to a good tuner.

So I have close to 2 g's in a utec with tune and the car never ran like it should. I think you'd be better off to save your money and get a fcon, haltech of proefi. You'll be better off and may not really spend all that much more when you factor in your time exc.

Beside if you get tired of your power levels you'll have an EMS that you can retune to handle what ever changes you might make in the future just my 2 cents.

PS, I'll sell you my utec and map sensor.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:01 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by frankie945
If the Haltech plugs into the factory ecu how is it that your saying it's a standalone?
... because saying "independent fuel, timing, and cam controller with stock CAN integration and plug-n-play harness" takes way too long.
Old 10-23-2008 | 05:20 PM
tylerxfire

how much for the utec and map sensor, called mrc today and they are pointing me toward a utec.

he is a cop, no ****, thats cool and tuning and making fast *** z's?
Old 10-23-2008 | 06:41 PM
TinmansZ

how much for the utec and map sensor, called mrc today and they are pointing me toward a utec.

he is a cop, no ****, thats cool and tuning and making fast *** z's?
If your asking me, $625 shipped PM me if your interested
Old 10-24-2008 | 08:52 AM
tylerxfire

what does the utec include, is it ready for boost with the sensor, and does it have map selector
Old 10-24-2008 | 03:48 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

If you are running a Utec and you car doesnt start every time, with the same length of cranking as stock, I am convinced you have either a bad tune or mechanical issues.

The same goes for stalling at a stop light - that is insanity.

Again, I am not trying to suggest that a Haltech isnt a worlds better EMS then the Utec, or that its not worth the money. What I am trying to suggest is that a Haltech is not neccessary for a safe, reliably tuned car that runs well.

-I have never stalled at a red/stop light.
-My car requries no more cranking to start then it did when stock
-My car idles smoothly at ~700rpm
-My A/F's have not changed even though my car was tuned at about 85 deg F and it is now around 40 deg F

How can I not be having any of these issues while some of you did? I dont know - You can call my tuner, Bobby at Performance Race Engineering in Portland, OR, his number is (503) 619-0055.

I will still maintain that the Utec is a suitable EMS for low to medium power levels (say, sub 500rwhp). Maybe some of you that had issues were trying to take it to far, or using injectors too big (I have RC 650's btw). But it will work fine for a guy with a procharger that doesn't plan on going crazy.
I have to totaly agree as mine starts and idles perfect.I only have one complaint and it is at low load/rpms it likes to stumble a little bit.......but thats it.
Old 10-24-2008 | 05:50 PM
tylerxfire

guess that solves my other question, so it does the job, is this stumble real bad, i mean what does it really feel like and when does it do it and when doesn't it do it.

Quick Reply: recommended ems for procharger