Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

recommended ems for procharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 04:09 PM
tylerxfire

Default recommended ems for procharger

what are some recommendations for tuning on a procharger kit 03 z, with 440cc injectors , 255 fuel pump, 9psi. pulley, not going for crazy power, but reliable on demand power with no hickups and tuner friendle and cost efficient, i know whats gonna come up, but please give reasons you like and dislike. thanks. .
Old 10-12-2008 | 04:50 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Utec for your power goals.. and ofcourse a GOOD tuner
Old 10-12-2008 | 05:22 PM
tylerxfire

yeah thats what i am saying, i am not going for crazy power, but i have heard things about it having a hickup when the utec takes over, idk. i see westchester, NY?, where is that near city?, i live upstate ny, know of any good utec tuners in ny?, vinny ten? i don't know what he uses
Old 10-12-2008 | 05:56 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

yep. upstate.. where in NY are you?.. VTR is good.. but if I were you i would go to Jullian at MRC to tune it. Worth the trip!
Old 10-12-2008 | 05:59 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Procharged customer with Haltech installed,
"The car runs awesome. Drives very much like stock...just alot faster. The linear boost curve makes the car literally feel like it's stock...but just on steroids. I love it."

Link to the customer's review:
https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...hs-inside.html

No transitioning/hiccups, unlocked tuning interface, and will grow with you if you want more down the road.
Old 10-12-2008 | 06:28 PM
tylerxfire

im in ilion ny, it is right in the middle of albany and syracuse if you know where they are, like hour and half from each. wheres vtr, and where is julian at mrc?, ill have to look it up and see how far from me each are.

haltech i believe is more than what i need, i know it is the way to go, but it is alot. unless i could find a used one on here. because i plan to pick up a utec used on here if a good tuner is not too far.
Old 10-12-2008 | 06:43 PM
rcdash

You won't regret the Haltech. It is more expensive, but you get more than your money's worth. Good luck.

EDIT: If you don't choose the Haltech, I would strongly consider Osiris and allow the stock ECU to run the show. Pro-tuner probably required so I'd check to see if you have one nearby.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-12-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2008 | 06:47 PM
tylerxfire

yeah i totally know what you are saying and would not regret it, but still just wondering if i really need it and that the utec can't do what i need. i have heard many good things about the utec, and i see there are few shops that are not too far that i could do some good tuning, but i want to talk with them and see what they have to say.
Old 10-12-2008 | 07:43 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you are ok with inconsistent hot/cold starts, hiccups, and an assortment of other annoying problems, then go with the utec, it will be the worst $700 you ever saved.
Old 10-12-2008 | 07:50 PM
tylerxfire

what? really, cause it really seems like it is tuner. alot of people don't have problems and some do. seems like a tuning problem.
Old 10-12-2008 | 07:51 PM
tylerxfire

what do you recommend then? haltech? what else would anyone recommend

looks like i will be taking it to julian at mrc when its time, they are actually closer to me that vinny ten racing and i have heard lotts of good things. i will prolly call tomorrow and just see what they have to say

Last edited by tylerxfire; 10-12-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2008 | 08:02 PM
SpoilsofWar

My utec works fine. I dont have any cold/hot start issues, transition into boost is relatively smooth, no temp compensation issues, even the built in boost controller has worked good for me thus far. I dont regret using it at all.

Are there better EMS's out there for the Z? For sure - the Haltech, ProEFI (or whatever) and Fcon have tons more features... But not at this price point. A Haltech costs 3x as much.

edit: The only thing that annoys me to date about the Utec is TurboXS's complete abandoning of the platform. Dont ever expect any updates or support from them.
Old 10-12-2008 | 09:24 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Basically it comes done to opinion, what is acceptable to some might not be acceptable to others. I meet people all the time at local meets/events who think their car is the ****, then they proceed to crank the engine for 30 seconds, car doesn't idle, etc.

Most of the time it is tuning related, but there are a lot of things a piggy back can't do.

I would never run a piggy back in my car, but thats just me.

Good luck,

-George
Old 10-12-2008 | 11:02 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by George@GTM
I guess I wouldn't either, if money were no object.

But my car runs virtually like stock, and like I said I have no complaints with the utec itself. I guess I'll just attribute it to good tuning.
Old 10-13-2008 | 03:57 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
what are some recommendations for tuning on a procharger kit 03 z, with 440cc injectors , 255 fuel pump, 9psi. pulley, not going for crazy power, but reliable on demand power with no hickups and tuner friendle and cost efficient, i know whats gonna come up, but please give reasons you like and dislike. thanks. .

Haltech!!!
Old 10-13-2008 | 05:06 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I guess I wouldn't either, if money were no object.

But my car runs virtually like stock, and like I said I have no complaints with the utec itself. I guess I'll just attribute it to good tuning.
Even if you get a good tune, if you live in a place where the temperature changes, the tune will be off. If you're adept at making the appropriate adjustments, then you can mitigate the deficiencies in the UTEC. If you're not comfortable tuning on your own, want to have robust, accurate temperature compensation, want good closed loop O2 feedback for perfect AFRs, then a standalone is the best option. Even the stock ECU (via Osiris) is a better choice than the UTEC.

I originally had a UTEC while NA and must admit didn't mind the constant tweaking at all (but I like to tinker). I did NOT like the fact that there was no further development planned by TXS. Once I knew it was an end-of-life product, it was time to move on.
Old 10-13-2008 | 07:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Basically it comes done to opinion, what is acceptable to some might not be acceptable to others. I meet people all the time at local meets/events who think their car is the ****, then they proceed to crank the engine for 30 seconds, car doesn't idle, etc.

Most of the time it is tuning related, but there are a lot of things a piggy back can't do.

Good luck,

-George

answer this to me.... has GTM ever blown up any cars("stock" boost) because of the tune you guys did on a UTEC? i bet the answer is no.

Sure if the op has the money, he should do standalone(nothing will compare to it), but is it even as remotely important as if you were running a build block and say 16-20 psi...this is a procharger we are talking about...
Utec osiris are good options for his needs. IT will be more important for him to find a reputable tuner.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-13-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2008 | 07:22 AM
rcdash

^^^ the bar is higher now than just whether the car blows up or not! Ha ha - we're past the days where the choices were the Greddy EMU and the UTEC! George never said it would blow a car up.
Old 10-13-2008 | 07:27 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by rcdash
^^^ the bar is higher now than just whether the car blows up or not! Ha ha - we're past the days where the choices were the Greddy EMU and the UTEC! George never said it would blow a car up.
the point is that its ridiculous to pay up so much money for a build with a procharger (ie sub 400whp)....
And i didnt jsut suggested the utec, i also suggested osiris. The point was that its uncessesary at this levels to get an standalone. Its more important for him to find a good tuner.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-13-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2008 | 08:26 AM
SweetDreamZ

Ok, so that was my procharged Z that was referenced by Hal...I've never driven a UTEC tuned car, so I can't say from experience, but from the hassles I've read, I'm glad I went with the Haltech. The car starts on the first try EVERY time. I don't think I've had a single issue so far.

As a side note, I think you are going to want larger injectors. I went with Deatschewerks 600cc injectors, and if I remember correctly...we were already at like 80% on those...maybe a lil more? Maybe Hal remembers.

anyways...to answer your initial question:

- no rough idle, not once
- can run 2 wideband O2 sensors
- absolutely incredible performance, used from 30 degrees up to 105 degrees, and no problems yet...

dislikes:
- cost

summary: worth every penny...

Quick Reply: recommended ems for procharger