Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Would you rather turbo the VQ35 or drop the RB26DETT into the 350z?
RB26DETT engine
57.41%
turbo charged VQ35 engine
42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

RB26DETT or Turbo Charged VQ35

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 07:22 PM
BRS0903

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB26DETT or Turbo Charged VQ35

If money was no object, would you rather drop the RB26DETT engine into the Nissan 350z or would you rather wait for the development of turbo kits for the VQ engine?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:30 PM
toykilla

i would rather wait... it is too early to see the full potential of our engine.... ... but if money was no object i would be driving a r34 gtr right now
Old 08-13-2003, 12:50 AM
spark

If you could some how plug the rb26 tranny in the Z, it'll be dope! 4wd 350
Old 08-13-2003, 05:03 AM
kernel

i would agree, with the motor and tranny, it wouldn't matter what the Z's motor could do you would have a 600+ HP all wheel drive sleeper. (thats if you didn't change the outside). that would be one mean car to bring to the track. Also it weighs less then a stock Z around a 300 LB. drop in weight. thats one sweet ride. if this could be done for under 12 grand i would really be thinking about doing this.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:44 AM
BRS0903

Originally posted by kernel
i would agree, with the motor and tranny, it wouldn't matter what the Z's motor could do you would have a 600+ HP all wheel drive sleeper. (thats if you didn't change the outside). that would be one mean car to bring to the track. Also it weighs less then a stock Z around a 300 LB. drop in weight. thats one sweet ride. if this could be done for under 12 grand i would really be thinking about doing this.
I actually know of a place in Atlanta, GA that is doing a RB26DETT swap as we speak. It will be done in September. Only thing is the swap cost 15k. If you want 4wd, that is a little bit more money. That would be hot to have a 4wd Z...think of how many Supras you would kill!! LOL!!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by toykilla
i would rather wait... it is too early to see the full potential of our engine.... ... but if money was no object i would be driving a r34 gtr right now
I think we are waiting for more than the VQ turbos to come out... I think we are waitin for people to figure out the rb swap as well...

I am right there with you... I really want something to come out that shows the VQ's full potential... for right now I would have to say that the RB would be one hell of a swap... and honestly I dont think the VQ will be able to push what the RB has to offer...

just look at the battleground swap... 600+ rwhp and 300 pounds of lost weight and an engine bay that has more room... over all I think both engines have their strong and weak points... but I want that all wheel drive 600+ hp that would be sweet as for there being a swap to 4wd I dont know about that yet BRS but I hope your right...

bottom line I want to see a company show us the real power of the VQ, but since we already know the true power of the RB(arguably the best engine ever made by Nissan)I want a shop to show us the innovation of the RB along with some skill in showin what it can do for the Z...

-non
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 AM
f r e z N Y

Default can somebody please explain this 300 lb lost?

If I recall, the RB weighs a bit more than the VQ, so the weight loss isn't in engine, right?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:33 PM
BRS0903

Hey, wouldn't the 4wd feature add more weight to the RB26DETT swap? I am thinking that would also require some kind of chassis modification as well..right? I watched the ZShock video from Best Motoring, and it didn't seemed like there was not much room for modification underneath. It seemed like everything that was for structural rigidity and suspension was tied to the chassis in one way or another. Don't get me wrong, I know it is possible, but it seems like it would be alot of work. It seems like you would have to remove some chassis parts for rigidity to install a clutch for the front axle.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:35 PM
VQ35DES

I think the only reason people started swapping the VQ for an RB is because at that time there were no parts for the 350.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:27 PM
BRS0903

Default Re: can somebody please explain this 300 lb lost?

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
If I recall, the RB weighs a bit more than the VQ, so the weight loss isn't in engine, right?
I don't think the weight loss is in the engine/tranny department since the RB weighs more than the VQ. I think if anything, the weight loss comes from the interior and maybe some parts here and there
Old 08-14-2003, 08:51 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by VQ35DES
I think the only reason people started swapping the VQ for an RB is because at that time there were no parts for the 350.
I wouldnt say that, although I'm sure that has its place, swaps have always been popular and like I said before the RB26 is probably the best motor ever made by nissan and ranks with the top in the world, and what would be the coolest to say, "I have a skyline motor" hahahaha

-non
Old 08-14-2003, 10:20 AM
f r e z N Y

Originally posted by nonmature
..the RB26 is probably the best motor ever made by nissan ...
I would say that the VQ is approaching that title, but then again, each motor has it's strong/weak points.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:50 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
I would say that the VQ is approaching that title, but then again, each motor has it's strong/weak points.
I dont know if I would go that far just yet... the RB26 has held that title for a good chunk of time... but yes the VQ is the new bad boy, we just need to have somebody see what we can really expect out of her...

-non
Old 08-14-2003, 02:06 PM
BRS0903

I dont know if I would go that far just yet... the RB26 has held that title for a good chunk of time... but yes the VQ is the new bad boy, we just need to have somebody see what we can really expect out of her...

-non
Hey, maybe the VQ might be the new bad boy on the block. Think about it!! On the JGTC racing circuit, they swapped out an RB26 and shoved a VQ turbo charged engine into one of the skylines. I think they even ended up doing really well, but only after they ran into some complications in the beginning. What do you think? VQ may be the next RB..give it some time!
Old 08-14-2003, 03:47 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by BRS0903
Hey, maybe the VQ might be the new bad boy on the block. Think about it!! On the JGTC racing circuit, they swapped out an RB26 and shoved a VQ turbo charged engine into one of the skylines. I think they even ended up doing really well, but only after they ran into some complications in the beginning. What do you think? VQ may be the next RB..give it some time!
I wasnt aware of any of that... good info... well thats all we can do is wait... we'll see...

-non
Old 08-14-2003, 03:50 PM
eskimo

4WD sucks... a lot. Can't turn for ****. Maybe in a wrangler, but not in a sports car, hell no.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:59 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by eskimo
4WD sucks... a lot. Can't turn for ****. Maybe in a wrangler, but not in a sports car, hell no.
hahaha you make me laugh.... thats all I'm gonna say...

-non
Old 08-14-2003, 08:18 PM
eskimo

hahaha you make me laugh.... thats all I'm gonna say...

-non
It does suck, having all your differentials locked, why the hell would you want that on a car?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:56 PM
toykilla

yeah and apparantly the skyline is the cream of the crop when it comes to roadcourse racing in japan.. hmmm 4wd holding it back?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:57 PM
eskimo

Originally posted by toykilla
yeah and apparantly the skyline is the cream of the crop when it comes to roadcourse racing in japan.. hmmm 4wd holding it back?
You do realize 4WD and AWD are completely different, right?

Quick Reply: RB26DETT or Turbo Charged VQ35