Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another PowerLab kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djtimodj
Im loving the GT35r kit from all the pics and vids but im worried about not having a cat in the system?

In the uk im gonna need a cat to pass the MOT test has any one come up with a solution to this system not having any cat ??

Also I would be looking for no more than 350WHP would i be able to back the boost off to say around 5psi with out having any bad effect on the turbo/drivability ect.?

Thanks Guys.
You got PM!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z2envy
You should be able to just run off the waste gate then if you are looking to stay around 350. The first pull we did while tuning was around 350ish-360. Think the Wastegate is set for 5 or 6 psi but not exactly sure. I have a manual boost controller set up on mine to increase the boost up to 9psi.

As far as adding a cat into this kit. You might have to check with an exhaust shop to see where exactly they can fit that in. I think UMW350 was trying to put a cat into his set up also but not sure if he was able to or not.
I was able to have the cat welded into the Downpipe. I used a Vibrant 3" in, 3" out metal core catalizer.

I looked up springs for the Tial 44mm...you can get a .4 bar (5.8 psi), .5 bar (7.25) to name just two options. I am upgrading to the .5 bar during my next retune. Boost controller is the best bet
Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

hey OP have you had any problems with your manual BC? after the buying the kit and gauges i went a little overboard and now have to choose between going HKS EVC with no return fuel system or MBC with return fuel. Any over boost issues? what MBC are you running? thanks

Keith
Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont have a built bock, no reason to rush with a boost controller anyhow. The fuel system is more important.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txshldm
hey OP have you had any problems with your manual BC? after the buying the kit and gauges i went a little overboard and now have to choose between going HKS EVC with no return fuel system or MBC with return fuel. Any over boost issues? what MBC are you running? thanks

Keith
Fuel!!!! Don't worry about a BC right now...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

^^^^ yes i understand this. still looking for his or anyone else thoughts on a MBC
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what about them, they are simple and they work. my buddy has one on his grand national holding 30 psi.
people like the EBC's bc you can change them on the fly and they are more dynamic bc a solenoid can open faster/slower
Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^^

werds its just... well manual...

dont risk the fuel for getting a boost controller...txs..did you get the full kit... maybe you can get a solenoid and have utec control boost.. talk to your tuner about this...just be carefull raising boost :0

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-14-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats man. I know you have been talking about it for a while now. I see you got new rims also.

See you around

Chris
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

Yeah i got the whole PL kit.. Who makes a solenoid? TXS?

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^^

werds its just... well manual...

dont risk the fuel for getting a boost controller...txs..did you get the full kit... maybe you can get a solenoid and have utec control boost.. talk to your tuner about this...just be carefull raising boost :0
Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
z2envy

Sorry to reply so late been crazy busy with work. I have a manual boost controller that Performance Factory installed. I'm not sure of the brand of it but they are like $30. They locked it down in place also so no one not even myself can mess with it. As far as I've seen I have yet to see any boost creep or over boosting. It stays pretty much at about 9-9.2. I'm using a Defi BF boost guage so the reading should be pretty on point. Also I'm not running a return fuel system. I don't think I really need one for the amount of power that I'm putting down. Maybe later on I'll get one when I feel that need to want to raise the boost and get alil more power squeezed before having to build the motor up. Also you can get the Boost Solenoid from TXS to have the Utec control boost for you if you are looking for another way to control boost other then a HKS Evc or another form of electronic controller.

Chris whens the next BBQ!

Last edited by z2envy; 11-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by txshldm
Yeah i got the whole PL kit.. Who makes a solenoid? TXS?
yeah turboXS, i heard that even gm solenoids work but not sure....i believe turboxs has instructions on their site how to connect it to the utec.

BUT AGAIN if you are playing with changin the boost, talk to your tuner first... you might want to consider a map switch for the UTEC.. this way your maps will incorporate the boost change. I believe this method will be cost effective and good enough for up to 13-15psi max of control, which doesnt seem to be the case for you yet(maybe run a 4psi 8psi maps pump gas on stock block )... eventually when you take it to the next step you will want HKS EVC if you get fcon vpro; or allow Proefi or Haltech to control boost .
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the manual boost controller that we use on powerlabs kits are from Forge Motorsports. here is the link. tell them performance factory told you about it.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...oduct=FMICB051
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
DYNONUT

ThinK I'll sell my volks and start saving for a TT setup, thanks for the inspiration
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by DYNONUT
ThinK I'll sell my volks and start saving for a TT setup, thanks for the inspiration
And to think a year ago I wanted wheels as my first mod for the car! I feel your pain. Boost > a baller wheels IMO!

Originally Posted by z2envy
You should be able to just run off the waste gate then if you are looking to stay around 350. The first pull we did while tuning was around 350ish-360. Think the Wastegate is set for 5 or 6 psi but not exactly sure. I have a manual boost controller set up on mine to increase the boost up to 9psi.

As far as adding a cat into this kit. You might have to check with an exhaust shop to see where exactly they can fit that in. I think UMW350 was trying to put a cat into his set up also but not sure if he was able to or not.

This is what I was worried about. Right now I have Berk HFCs. How could I incorporate their use with this kit?

On the other hand, I do like the fact PL gives you a stock spring to use with a lower PSI off the bat. That way the car is safely drivable if you decide to DIY then head to the tuner.

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
I was able to have the cat welded into the Downpipe. I used a Vibrant 3" in, 3" out metal core catalizer.

I looked up springs for the Tial 44mm...you can get a .4 bar (5.8 psi), .5 bar (7.25) to name just two options. I am upgrading to the .5 bar during my next retune. Boost controller is the best bet
UMW, how much did the custom cat cost?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

super old thread bump. but.. thats what happens when you properly use the search feature lol.

Does nayone have any input as to the potisiton of the temperature sensor near this fmic and radiator?

"I hear " that the ecu changes fuel and pulls timing after a certain outside temperature.. and my gauge is reading extremely ficticiously high temp figures due to heat from those componenets.