Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My gauge choices for FI (ATI)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:48 PM
djkern
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DeeZee
definatly!! even if you cant, let me know your price and i might just buy from you!
do you want just the plain camp system....or do you want the add-ons as well....or do you want me to just find out everything....i'll find out everything....probably can get it cheaper that way....true?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
DeeZee

that depends, what all can the plain camp do???
Old 08-19-2003, 05:04 PM
DeeZee

and can i get an a/f monitoring gauge add on??
Old 08-19-2003, 06:02 PM
djkern
Banned

check this out....

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...3094&last=3094

also, if you go to either www.google.com or www.froogle.com and type in HKS CAMP System....you'll get a bunch of hits. i'll talk to my guy tomorrow and figure out what you get with the camp system by itself....and what you get with the add-ons.

djk
Old 08-19-2003, 06:19 PM
DeeZee

thanks man! keep us posted!!
Old 08-20-2003, 03:39 AM
wadd3456

If anyone with a NON NAV system needs a gauge bezel to hold aftermarket gauges, please contact me. I can make a single, double or "maybe" tripple holder to go on there.

Scott
Old 08-20-2003, 05:54 AM
jesseenglish

What size gauges were you thinking of making it for? I might be interested, but I'm going to look at gauges today.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:57 AM
djkern
Banned

ok, i talked to joe...he said he can do the HKS CAMP system at 25% off list price.

so, here the list prices:

HKS CAMP system CPU - $325 (best online price is $260...he can do it for $244)
HKS CAMP JUNCTION BOX - $395 (you need this is you want to add other sensors) (best online price is $316...he can do it for $296)

i'm not sure what the prices would be if a group buy started...but, i would think they would be lower??? don't quote me on that though.

and, the other things (harnesses and other sensors) he might be able to do different discounts.

djk
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Sillent Killer

I like Dr. Bonz's setup with the GReddy Gauges. Which Idea is better...

1) Get two 60mm GReddy Peak Hold Gauges (Boost and EGT)

OR

2) Get one SPA digital dual readout gauge (Boost and EGT)

List which one you like better.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:34 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sillent Killer
I like Dr. Bonz's setup with the GReddy Gauges. Which Idea is better...

1) Get two 60mm GReddy Peak Hold Gauges (Boost and EGT)

OR

2) Get one SPA digital dual readout gauge (Boost and EGT)

List which one you like better.
Hey, finally somewhat back on to the topic of my thread

There are a couple things to consider here. First, the two Greddy gauges will obviously take up more space than a singe gauge that performs the same functions. Depending on where you want to mount the gauge(s), this may or may not be a concern.

Another difference is the readability of the gauges. In my opinion, analog gauges are much easier to glance at and get a reading than a digital readout. This is because once you are aquainted with the analog layout, you don't have to actually focus on and read the numbers, a quick glance at the needle position is often all you need. But with the digital gauges, you actually have to focus on the readout and read the numbers. On a related note, there may be some lag in the update of the digital readout, but I don't know if this is a problem on the SPA gauges.

You can also consider how well the different gauges may match your existing interior and gauges. If you get a black face on the Greddy gauges to match the z's stock gauges, the backlighting is green which doesn't match the z's backlighting. You can get the silver face Greddys to get orange backlighting similar to the z's, but then the face is a different color. The SPA gauges come in black or white faces, and the backlighting is selectable on each to be either green or red(which looks somewhat orange). I think the SPA gauge will match better overall.

For me, the functionality is top priority, then comes visual appeal. I think if you plan to mount them in the nav space or in the center console, it becomes less important to match since you can conceal them when not being used.

I'm picking up my Greddy EGT from AAM on Friday, and I was going to go with silver. But, I think I'm now going to go with the black face (green backlighting) which will match my black SPA gauge that it will be mounted beside. At night, both will have green backlighting, so in that sense they will match....they just won't match the stock gauge backlighting. It will look good enough for me...but maybe not for others.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by GaryK
Hey, finally somewhat back on to the topic of my thread

There are a couple things to consider here. First, the two Greddy gauges will obviously take up more space than a singe gauge that performs the same functions. Depending on where you want to mount the gauge(s), this may or may not be a concern.

Another difference is the readability of the gauges. In my opinion, analog gauges are much easier to glance at and get a reading than a digital readout. This is because once you are aquainted with the analog layout, you don't have to actually focus on and read the numbers, a quick glance at the needle position is often all you need. But with the digital gauges, you actually have to focus on the readout and read the numbers. On a related note, there may be some lag in the update of the digital readout, but I don't know if this is a problem on the SPA gauges.

You can also consider how well the different gauges may match your existing interior and gauges. If you get a black face on the Greddy gauges to match the z's stock gauges, the backlighting is green which doesn't match the z's backlighting. You can get the silver face Greddys to get orange backlighting similar to the z's, but then the face is a different color. The SPA gauges come in black or white faces, and the backlighting is selectable on each to be either green or red(which looks somewhat orange). I think the SPA gauge will match better overall.

For me, the functionality is top priority, then comes visual appeal. I think if you plan to mount them in the nav space or in the center console, it becomes less important to match since you can conceal them when not being used.

I'm picking up my Greddy EGT from AAM on Friday, and I was going to go with silver. But, I think I'm now going to go with the black face (green backlighting) which will match my black SPA gauge that it will be mounted beside. At night, both will have green backlighting, so in that sense they will match....they just won't match the stock gauge backlighting. It will look good enough for me...but maybe not for others.
very good points. only one that i am thinking differently about is the analog vs digital stuff. i always have my spedometer up (on the digital readout....the guage on the far left of the three). i never use the actual analog readout. so, the digital ones would be better for me. but, you have alot of good points.

me, personally...when i need to get the guages....the camp system is the way i will go since i put in the screen and all the rest of the stuff so i would be able to use it! haha.

post some pics when you are finished! i'd like to see how it comes out.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Sillent Killer

The CAMP system is at least $700 just for the CAMP, Junction Box, Boost sensor and Harness and the EGT Sensor and Harness.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:30 PM
djkern
Banned

The CAMP system is at least $700 just for the CAMP, Junction Box, Boost sensor and Harness and the EGT Sensor and Harness.
yeah, i know. i'll just go through my vendor. he'll be done with his by the time i put it in my car....i'll buy it off of him. i can hide all the components, have it run through the screen that's in the car already...and take up no space. also, you can keep on adding on to it and adding on to it with new chips and software. plus...i like everything digital for some reason.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Sillent Killer

How about this idea...

What do I need to mount the gauges here and how do I do it? (Pic from A-pillar thread)
Attached Thumbnails My gauge choices for FI (ATI)-2-gauges-above-existing.jpg  
Old 08-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Sillent Killer

If the above layout is not possible...

Also... You have to read the boost gauge while you are driving. Right?

Can you read the EGT after you come to a stop or not?

I am asking this becasue if I have to read the Boost Gauge while driving I will put it on the A pillar using a 60mm universal GReddy Gauge Pod as far down as possible.

If I can view the EGT after I come to a stop then I can mount that one gauge angled toward the driver where Dr. Bonz put it.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:46 PM
djkern
Banned

How about this idea...

What do I need to mount the gauges here and how do I do it? (Pic from A-pillar thread)
i'm sure you can get any custom body shop to install them there and not have the wires or anything showing. but, then again, it would cost you a lot. i'm sure you could do a "do it yourself" job....but it wouldn't come out terribly nice.

and, what purpose does the fire extinguisher serve? not trying to offend...just curious.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Sillent Killer

Originally posted by djkern
i'm sure you can get any custom body shop to install them there and not have the wires or anything showing. but, then again, it would cost you a lot. i'm sure you could do a "do it yourself" job....but it wouldn't come out terribly nice.

and, what purpose does the fire extinguisher serve? not trying to offend...just curious.

1st of all, that picture is not the interior of my car. I would never put a fire extinguisher there or it would probably kill the passenger in an accident.

That pic is from this thread https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=37900 along with other ideas.

I really like that idea of Dr. Bonz. Maybe I will put the Boost Gauge on the A-Pillar.

Can you read the EGT anytime...like at a stoplight. Or do you have to view it while you are moving?

I was thinking about doing a similar layout like Dr. Bonz except...I will use that space to put only one gauge instead of two. This gives me more room so I can turn the gauge and angle it nicely toward the driver so I can see it better than Dr. Bonz's setup. Is this idea good?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:57 PM
djkern
Banned

1st of all, that picture is not the interior of my car. I would never put a fire extinguisher there or it would probably kill the passenger in an accident.

That pic is from this thread https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=37900 along with other ideas.

I really like that idea of Dr. Bonz. Maybe I will put the Boost Gauge on the A-Pillar.

Can you read the EGT anytime...like at a stoplight. Or do you have to view it while you are moving?

I was thinking about doing a similar layout like Dr. Bonz except...I will use that space to put only one gauge instead of two. This gives me more room so I can turn the gauge and angle it nicely toward the driver so I can see it better than Dr. Bonz's setup. Is this idea good?
yeah, that set up works. i asked bonz the same thing. i asked him if it would be easier to read if the guages were turned clockwise so that they face him better.

bonz.....you try that yet???

djk
Old 08-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Sillent Killer

Originally posted by djkern
yeah, that set up works. i asked bonz the same thing. i asked him if it would be easier to read if the guages were turned clockwise so that they face him better.

bonz.....you try that yet???

djk

I mean turn them clock wise and raise them to a 45* angle oo the ground. This makes it easier to look at. Do you understand?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you mean. They must be glued in there or at least wedged in pretty tight cause I tried breifly to do it while I was driving today and they wouldn't budge. I'll try again while parked.

Quick Reply: My gauge choices for FI (ATI)