Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Haltech people.. CEL-cam related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haltech people.. CEL-cam related.

I keep getting a cam actuator CEL. Is there anyway to get the stock cam angles so this light wont come up? I cant use copy through on the Variable cam control for the intake cams.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

P0011 and P0021? You can use Osiris to block the DTC. Or you can use Osiris to reprogram the stock CAM map to match the Haltech's. Or you can remap the Haltech map to match stock. I'm going to try to map the stock CAM timing over Thanksgiving holidays. If I can get it done and prevent DTCs, I'll post the values up... It's not straightforward because the load sites in Osiris are odd (not MAP or even MAF exactly). My plan is to run the Osiris tuner while ECU manager is running and try to correlate MAP load values to the stock ECU and then go from there.

Only reason I'm not disabling all the DTCs is because I need them enabled for OBD II SRT (system readiness). Got all the tools, just need the time...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a number of things related to this, but I'll start with a brief explanation. You see cam control codes because Haltech is targeting new cam timing values. The stock ecu is still commanding values, but is hooked to nothing. When the OEM computer reads in the actual cam values and notices they do not equal the commanded, it throws a soft code. The cam timing codes alone will not trip the CEL or cause any problems. Now if something else trips the light, you will see those codes there.

That being said, rcdash is right - you can remap your cam timing to match oem though this will take a bit of work. The other option, if you are wanting to use "copy-through" on cam timing, you could just cut the 2 Haltech cam timing wires and put it back to OEM control. Not sure why you would want this, but definitely possible if you desire.

Ultimately, if everything else is running proper and not causing the CEL to illuminate, you can enjoy tuned cam timing values without a CEL.

Feel free to give me a call if you need help with any of this.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
niceguyyy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
There are a number of things related to this, but I'll start with a brief explanation. You see cam control codes because Haltech is targeting new cam timing values. The stock ecu is still commanding values, but is hooked to nothing. When the OEM computer reads in the actual cam values and notices they do not equal the commanded, it throws a soft code. The cam timing codes alone will not trip the CEL or cause any problems. Now if something else trips the light, you will see those codes there.

That being said, rcdash is right - you can remap your cam timing to match oem though this will take a bit of work. The other option, if you are wanting to use "copy-through" on cam timing, you could just cut the 2 Haltech cam timing wires and put it back to OEM control. Not sure why you would want this, but definitely possible if you desire.

Ultimately, if everything else is running proper and not causing the CEL to illuminate, you can enjoy tuned cam timing values without a CEL.

Feel free to give me a call if you need help with any of this.

I sure am glad you are doing my tuning....
Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM
SnyperZ

So thats why I get the actuator over-advance code? Also, since my block is stock at the moment.. I still have a multiple misfire code..which im guessing is related to the bad plugs...they have 6k miles on them..and have been through hell and back with the car rnning super rich in the beginning.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
SnyperZ

Where can I get Osiris?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
rcdash

uprev.com
Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
SnyperZ

Hmm. well Ill have to look into this. At this point ive decided on most likely giving up on the VQ. I will be either A. parting out all the mods, returning the car back to stock, and selling the car for a vette or another trans am or B. parting out the drivetrain and doing an LS2 swap...like I did with my RX7..only this would be more of a daily driver.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

rcdash, did you ever map the stock cam values?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Following up on this, rcdash, I'm still getting the P0011 and P0021 on my Haltech/JWT G35. It lights up the CEL. WOuld be great if I could get something to cause the CEL to not turn on, but still not sure if I want to spring for an Osiris.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Following up on this, rcdash, I'm still getting the P0011 and P0021 on my Haltech/JWT G35. It lights up the CEL. WOuld be great if I could get something to cause the CEL to not turn on, but still not sure if I want to spring for an Osiris.
Read the thread... you can reconnect the cam wires back to the stock ECU so it doesn't trip out and throw cam codes. Other than that your only hope is just disabling them with uprev...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 AM
rcdash

Disabling them with Osiris is a quick and easy fix. It does not affect readiness status for OBD testing. Sorry for the late follow up. I tried mapping but it was never perfect and randomly it would show up (usually with another unrelated CEL - not sure it trips the CEL by itself - don't recall anymore).
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ In most cases, the 0011 and 0021 will not trip the CEL by themselves. I am not sure what differentiates other cars that do turn on the light for those codes exclusively, but it seems to not be a problem for most. They can be disabled using reflash, or by changing the patch harness to give control of intake (and ex if applicable) cam timing back to the stock computer. Obviously if you take intake and exhaust control away from Haltech, you will not be able to to tune or realize the gains available there.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

does this only happen when you tune the cam timing?

jason was telling me he always got those codes Hal and when i picked up that engine he asked if i did and i said no. I thought it might have been because i've never touched the cam timing and i didn't think you adjusted it on my last tune. I could be wrong though. I'd like to mess with mine but i like the fact that i have no codes.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ it has nothing to do with tuning the cam timing, it has to do with having control of the cam timing. Unless you can perfectly match the stock cam timing, the stock computer will notice that it is commanding X and it is seeing Y. On most cars, this sets a 'soft code' that does not illuminate the CEL or cause any problems.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
binder

ok good. i should be in the clear then since it's been a year and a half with nothing so far on mine.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 AM
accordfreak

does anybody have the stock cam timing values? i don't want to cut the wires on the haltech harness.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 AM
binder

Originally Posted by accordfreak
does anybody have the stock cam timing values? i don't want to cut the wires on the haltech harness.
i haven't adjusted the values that come in the haltech so if those are stock values i can take a screen cap for you. email me if this is what you need.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 AM
captj3

I always wondered why I get this cel. Never had it with my utec.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 AM
binder

Originally Posted by captj3
I always wondered why I get this cel. Never had it with my utec.
hal just said it in this thread: it's a haltech thing and random

Quick Reply: Haltech people.. CEL-cam related.