Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy manifold gasket HELP needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM
richsrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy manifold gasket HELP needed

I have had my Greddy TT kit on for about 4 years now and I have had problems w/ the wastegate gaskets in the past and started to have a leak. I had a shop try and sorce the leak but they said it was to hot to keep there head up there. It took them 8 weeks (dont even want to get into that) to change out the wastegate gaskets and now I got the car back and the problem is still there. It has gotten louder to the point I am pretty sure it is the manifold gasket on the drivers side. Can this be replaced on the car or does the motor need to be pulled? I installed the kit when the motor was being built, so I do not know for sure what can be done. I just know the WG gaskets are a pain in the *** as this will be as well. I live in Bradenton Florida. Anyone reccomended?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richsrq
I have had my Greddy TT kit on for about 4 years now and I have had problems w/ the wastegate gaskets in the past and started to have a leak. I had a shop try and sorce the leak but they said it was to hot to keep there head up there. It took them 8 weeks (dont even want to get into that) to change out the wastegate gaskets and now I got the car back and the problem is still there. It has gotten louder to the point I am pretty sure it is the manifold gasket on the drivers side. Can this be replaced on the car or does the motor need to be pulled? I installed the kit when the motor was being built, so I do not know for sure what can be done. I just know the WG gaskets are a pain in the *** as this will be as well. I live in Bradenton Florida. Anyone reccomended?
It depends on where the leak is coming from. It's very easy to misdiagnose the leak, as coming from the WG, the turbo to manifold, or manifold to head connection points. Depending on the location of the leak, the engine may not have to come out.

We carry all the Greddy turbo and WG replacement gaskets in stock, and if you need install, just call us....hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM
richsrq

Thanks for the reply. The WG gaskets were replaced with a thin all stainless gaskets and the turbo to downpipe gasket looked fine. It is on the drivers side, but you are right. It is hard to find exactly where it is coming from. I can hear it with the hood open and leaning over the polished charge pipe cylinders 2,4,6, going into the plenum
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get to all the gaskets with the motor in the car. It isn't easy and you need to "special" wrenches to get to all the bolts. (cut down wrenches)
Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tial wastegate gaskets are no good... get the turbonetics gaskets with the fire ring.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Blackbird CPV35

does the leak sound like a valve tick or is it just sound like a big *** exhaust leak.

if it sounds like a tick its coming from one of the gaskets on the exhaust ports
Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 AM
richsrq

Thank you for the help guys! Accordfreak: That is what I was using and just pulled them off. I am now using a real thin piece of flat stainless steel. I thought it looked a little to thin but that is what was suggested by a shop for me to do.
Blackbird: It is definitely a valve tick. It has been four years since I put this together. I do not remember if the manifold gasket was one piece for each side or 3 individual for each side. If it is the manifold gasket, will it just be easier to pull the motor to do the work? Not that pulling the motor is something I want to do.
On the new motor I just built Tomei makes a metal gasket kit for everything.

Last edited by richsrq; 11-23-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

changing all 4 wastegate gaskets for the ones wiht the fire rings should only take a days work at MOST.

I use those firering gaskets and put copper RTV on them too... probably doesnt help tho cause it just burns off... but it seems to leave a residue that might help seal?

if you have an exhaust manifold leak that just wont seem to go away, its probably a cracked manifold. this isnt uncommon on the greddy manifolds
Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 PM
richsrq

Originally Posted by phunk
changing all 4 wastegate gaskets for the ones wiht the fire rings should only take a days work at MOST.

I use those firering gaskets and put copper RTV on them too... probably doesnt help tho cause it just burns off... but it seems to leave a residue that might help seal?

if you have an exhaust manifold leak that just wont seem to go away, its probably a cracked manifold. this isnt uncommon on the greddy manifolds
The WG gaskets should be fine. I am hoping it is just a gasket and not the manifold.

Does Sharif or anyone carry the exhaust manifold gaskets? How about where to get a manifold for a worst case issue?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nissan dealer will carry the exhaust manifold gasket.

when i had a manifold crack i sent it to greddy and they replaced it.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by phunk
nissan dealer will carry the exhaust manifold gasket.

when i had a manifold crack i sent it to greddy and they replaced it.
do they usually crack at the flanges or at the runners?

I have a leak in one of my APS Extreme manifolds and Im not sure if its cracked or not.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're not venting to atmosphere with a WG relocation kit, its hard to make the manifold-WG-downpipe align on the greddy kit. The parts are not perfectly cast and its easy to tighten things up and still have a leak. I suggest getting a dump kit and avoid the hassles.