Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Installing my 1st SC on a Friends G35.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 AM
gottarex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
ummm, pretty you routed the belt wrong. The belt should go UNDER the top pulley. The smooth side of the belt should be on the smooth pullies and the ribbed side matches up to the ribbed pullies.
wow, good eye. I noticed that now too. That belt won't last long if it stays like that
Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the first time I've seen someone do this so I always look when people install the procharger kits.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of these kits way back when and I don't believe the belt is actually long enough to be routed under that upper adjuster pulley. Check it out and let us know. It may just need a longer belt, but I would be very surprised if it just fits right underneath without any problems. Good luck.

Maybe I missed it but what fuel management are you running? EMFU? Hope not, its certain death. Put on a UTEC for much better fuel control. The Prochargers run very lean up top.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Dr. Venture

If you route the belt under the smooth pulley the teeth top and bottom do not have clearance and will touch ruining the belt. Tried installing it that way, and it does not work. The adjustment goes up, not down so then if you run the belt underneath the pulley you won't be adjusting anything but air. You can clearly see when looking at it that it does not work your way. Besides the directions/pictures have the belt running exactly the way you see in my pics.

This link is from the ATI site itself, in case you wanna to see how they routed it. Thanks!!!

http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMPACT/G35_uh.shtml

I know the smooth pulley is a dumb idea, and my guys and i were talking about that as well. But thats how it was made.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 12-03-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

I've see it done the "wrong" way and it works fine
Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Dr. Venture

Perhaps it is a diff style, or updated kit who knows. But im assuring you that with the kit that this guy had, the way your telling me to put the belt on does not work my friend. If i ran the belt under that pulley for one it would have NO tension, and 2 the teeth would hit. I mean look at the 3 pulley set up good. why would you put tension on the belt toward itself when there is no room and the teeth would be touching. Plus like i said the smooth pulley tensions upward, not down so i stated in the previous post you will not be putting tension on the belt if you run it under the pulley. Plus the end downward motion of the pulley does not even go far enough to put tension downward regardless. (we tried) Can't argue with you about something that was done right according to the directions. Plus every single picture or video I see for all g35 and 350 vehicles have the belt exactly the same way i routed it, so unless your seeing diff style due to diff vehicles I'm 100 % positive jobs done right.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 12-04-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected, seems like an odd design, but its probably a clearance issue. Good install DR.

Now thell your customer to get in there with a scrub brush so people don't puke when he tries to show off your work.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Dr. Venture

haha, yeah tell me about it!!!

he is actually getting everything polished. Then anodizing some of the parts cause he wants it all to look blue chrome.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 12-04-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please tell your customer to not use the ems that comes with that kit and to at least get a utec.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Dr. Venture

He actually bought the Osiris tuner package. His kit was incomplete so never had the ems or the fuel pump as well as the 4 way coupler. I took video after the tune, i'll have that up soon as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
SweetDreamZ

Dr. Venture is right....the belt is installed correctly. Trust me...we thought it was wrong too when I was down at Injected Performance getting mine tuned...so we called the guys at ATI...and it is supposed to go OVER that pulley....with the cog teeth down. Weird design imo as well...but oh well. The belt didn't fit the other way...it was too short...but once this belt gives, i might get a belt with a few extra teeth in it so that it will fit that way...just seems like it would eliminate alot of problems....wear....belt slip....who knows.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That belt routing can't possibly be correct. If the tensioner adjusts upwards maybe the bottom side of the belt should go on top of the tensioner.

I would never run it like that, I would at least get a toothed tensioner..but that's just me.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Dr. Venture

It is kind of pointless to argue about the belt, but if i were to route the belt upside down or inside out as you say then where and or what purpose would the belt having teeth accomplish when the other 2 pulleys are toothed? For everyones information, that center adjusting pulley is basically for 2 functions to adjust the belt and to guide it on track. Why the company did not take the time to design a toothed adjusting pulley i can honestly say i have no idea. All i can do is have a machinist make me a new pulley to that spec with the teeth. Like many aftermarket parts/designs things are just thrown together and you only see that when you actually install something.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats with the stitching on his steering wheel? Or is it a cover?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Dr. Venture

The guy has a cover cause i think his wheel is a lil messed up. But he claims that is how be bought it at the time and has since not removed it.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
It is kind of pointless to argue about the belt, but if i were to route the belt upside down or inside out as you say then where and or what purpose would the belt having teeth accomplish when the other 2 pulleys are toothed? For everyones information, that center adjusting pulley is basically for 2 functions to adjust the belt and to guide it on track. Why the company did not take the time to design a toothed adjusting pulley i can honestly say i have no idea. All i can do is have a machinist make me a new pulley to that spec with the teeth. Like many aftermarket parts/designs things are just thrown together and you only see that when you actually install something.
I am not trying to argue with you. You didn't understand what I ment. I didn't say flipe the belt inside out, that would be stupid really. This is what I was trying to say:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...eltrouting.jpg
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Dr. Venture

Although it looks good for the probe style of routing, it just does not work that way for the z or g style man. The adjusting pulley sits higher than the other 2 toothed pulleys. If i were to install it that way it would have the center pulley up high and the other 2 in line down low. So the belt would route like an upside down stretched V and the teeth of the belt would touch at the adjusting pulley, so in other words the routing i did is the correct way, just the design of the pulley that they are using/supplying in the setup is wrong in my eyes and yours as well. If they actually flipped the design and have the toothed pulleys in line high and the adjusting pulley down low to adjust upward YES that idea would of worked sweetly just like your picture is showing.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
trvotypes

very nice..
Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
haeshik

^indeed
Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Who boosts a Probe???

Quick Reply: Installing my 1st SC on a Friends G35.