Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

For those with scavenge pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Us STS owners run the pump from here - http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm. It's one of the white ones toward the bottom of the page. Haven't heard of any failures yet with the Z STS guys. However, just some Googling came up with some other owners who have reported failures.
I have also heard of those pumps failing (through Googling) so I stayed away from them. The pump I have (linked in the original post) seems to be really well built, so I hope there is no problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonne take a look at the pump I have. It is an industrial pump that has been rebuilt for automotive use.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

You can't win…you get flamed if you don't search but what do you do when searching yields a decent 5year old post? … nothing like reviving a 5 year old thread…

I'm running twin scavenging pumps after my turbos…my turbos are the run-of-the-mill greddy 18g - nothing unusual. I could make a case that they are not necessary bc the turb's are above the oil pan…but I am running them because I am running two oil coolers (one off a sandwich plate at the oil filter and one that taps in from a oil pan spacer).

My question is - I intend to manually power these on & off via a switch from the cabin - is there any reason why I should look into a high speed / low speed variation for different RPM ranges…

I will post up a picture & schematic of my setup and would appreciate any input how it's laid-out.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont see why you would need to, at least with the one sasha uses in the kit they are rated in hours regardless of rpms, only major thing they warn against is higher voltage then your typical automotive system.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, I wouldn't see a need for variable rpm on an oil pump. Seems like extra features that can cause failure.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
nway2deepagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I have also heard of those pumps failing (through Googling) so I stayed away from them. The pump I have (linked in the original post) seems to be really well built, so I hope there is no problem.
My pump failed after like 1500 miles as did my low pressure alarm.

Dont know if they still use the same pump though. Got mine in 2008. Cant remember the brand but it was made in china. I have been told the pump is not designed to pump oil and is not designed to handle high temperatures.

It is commonly agreed on this forum that the turbox e.x.a pump is the best choice.
It is designed to pump oil and can handle high temperatures.
It also is rated for 10000 hr life span.

The sts pump I had was rated for 2000 hrs of life.

Btw I still have mine (barely used). Text me(kevin) if you need one@ 801-560-2727
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
nway2deepagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
You can't win…you get flamed if you don't search but what do you do when searching yields a decent 5year old post? … nothing like reviving a 5 year old thread…

I'm running twin scavenging pumps after my turbos…my turbos are the run-of-the-mill greddy 18g - nothing unusual. I could make a case that they are not necessary bc the turb's are above the oil pan…but I am running them because I am running two oil coolers (one off a sandwich plate at the oil filter and one that taps in from a oil pan spacer).

My question is - I intend to manually power these on & off via a switch from the cabin - is there any reason why I should look into a high speed / low speed variation for different RPM ranges…

I will post up a picture & schematic of my setup and would appreciate any input how it's laid-out.
Just a thought...if you want total control of your pump output you could put a dimmer switch on it insted of a high/low.