Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Heat Dissipation: Stock OEM hood vs your aftermarket hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 969 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Heat Dissipation: Stock OEM hood vs your aftermarket hood

I know this isnt directly related to FI but it has its place here over exterior since it involves heat dissipation.....which can be of a concern for FI applications.

Well..........its finally gotten cold down south......i was actually liking global warming. Well this morning we hit 24 degrees and the cars were frosted over. Sure 24 isnt cold to everyone everywhere but its cold enough.

From the Vortech manual they say i need a block heater for anything below 32.....but that aint happening. I let my car heat up for 15 mins. Oil gets over 100 and motor is up to operating temps by that point. Mind you I have a 10 minute, 6 mile commute. Never go faster then 55..avg speed around 45mph moving.

But what i observed this morning is what i want to bring up. I have a seibon vented hood. Its TS, 3 vents on each side. You can visually see heat waves come out of them at stoplights in the summer. I dont know if the heat is pulled out or not. What I am mostly concerned about is the stock aluminum hood. Aluminum transmits heat pretty well........aluminum heat sinks are used in computers and on ECUs all over the place.

What i observed with the aluminum hood is that by the time i made it to my destination that the hood would be defrosted. What i observed this morning with my cf hood is that it was still covered in ice. Both scenarios left the headlights covered in ice though.......

you guys think the stock hood dissipates heat better then a carbon fiber style just based on the physical properties of aluminum over a composite?

Discuss: Oem aluminum vs oem style CF hood?

Would a oem with vents be better then a TS style carbon fiber hood?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

vented ftw win. the stock one is defrosted because all the head is trapped under the hood. your ts hood is cool and still frosted because all the heat left through the vents. neither hood is actually making contact with the block so neither is helping with heat absorption.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Im not sure the vents are helping that much. Ill check the next time we get frosted over and see if the area around the vents thaws out.

My assumption is that the aluminum pulls heat better from the air then the composite hood. Kinda like the reverse effect of having an aluminum plenum vs a composite plenum like a kinetix v+ which was supposedly less prone to heat soak.

Since the aluminum hood is on two temperature extremes it should be able to dissipate quite a bit of heat.

wheres some ME's.......?

edit: Fiberglass is also used as insulation in houses.....as to not let hot air out or hot air in depending on the season.

Wonder if i should hook up my thermocouple next weekend
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well engines generate more hp whilst hotter, so...

In regards to adequate temperature regulation, I don't think the hood will make or break the cooling system. I like the car quiet so I'm thinking of thermally and acoustically insulating my stock non-vented hood. If anything melts in there this summer, I'll let you know...
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM
terps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a aluminum hood would dissapate heat better than a full carbon fiber hood. but with the vents its extremly hard to guess. i would guess a cf hood with vents would dissapate heat alot quicker than a aluminum hood since the ambiet tempature in winter is alot cooler than the rate of dissapation of either material. heat sinks have emmense fans, without it the heat just pools and are essentially worthless. im sure an engineer will chime in with some math skills.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
35Z

Default Hood heat dissipation

Stock aluminum hood vs aftermarket FG/carbon hoods likely does not makes that much difference once the car is moving (its not the hood temp but rather the under hood temps that makes the difference). I have not found any information mention on any of the aftermarket companies regarding heat dissipation. If your still inquirying, I can find out the stock hood surface area, aluminum gauge, temps readings at idle, temps generated under the hood, etc.

I believe most of the aftermarket carbon fiber hoods are fiberglass with a carbon fiber top rap (unless its a dry carbon fiber - prepeg/vacuum bagged oven resin cured that are typically lighter weight than what is out there for sale usually = $,$$$).

I'm looking to add vents to the stock aluminum hood either to extract the under hood heat or add air NACA vents similar to that found on the GTR. I cannot find a company that can cut/roll vents instead of chop/cut/add-in vents in aluminum that is still in business. Any sources that you know of is appreciated.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

There was a guy here who was molding some nice vents, that you could apply to your hood, but the thread with him doing so kind of died out. He had the basic mold down, but something was up with the company that was supposed to produce them at a reasonable price. Of course, you still had to cut holes in your hood and bond the vents to the hood somehow, but I, for one, was really interested in this, as any way to reduce underhood temps is important given that I drive my twin turboed G35 at the track, and it gets really, really hot, even with an enlarged radiator, more powerful fans, and an oil cooler.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
35Z

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
There was a guy here who was molding some nice vents, that you could apply to your hood, but the thread with him doing so kind of died out. He had the basic mold down, but something was up with the company that was supposed to produce them at a reasonable price. Of course, you still had to cut holes in your hood and bond the vents to the hood somehow, but I, for one, was really interested in this, as any way to reduce underhood temps is important given that I drive my twin turboed G35 at the track, and it gets really, really hot, even with an enlarged radiator, more powerful fans, and an oil cooler.
It was Cheston.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by 35Z
It was Cheston.

Thats right. Haven't heard anything for quite a while on that.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Asuka hood and in the summer my temp gauge (when it was NA ) rode right in the middle and then after I put that on it rode about an 1/8" below middle.... I dunno where the heat sensor is but it read a lot cooler....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but Jet Mech was recording a big difference in oil temps between the MG Venom Hood and Stock hood. The kicker is, the MG Hood has the huge opening for us Vortech/ST guys.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
BrazenZ

Originally Posted by 35Z
Stock aluminum hood vs aftermarket FG/carbon hoods likely does not makes that much difference once the car is moving (its not the hood temp but rather the under hood temps that makes the difference). I have not found any information mention on any of the aftermarket companies regarding heat dissipation. If your still inquirying, I can find out the stock hood surface area, aluminum gauge, temps readings at idle, temps generated under the hood, etc.

I believe most of the aftermarket carbon fiber hoods are fiberglass with a carbon fiber top rap (unless its a dry carbon fiber - prepeg/vacuum bagged oven resin cured that are typically lighter weight than what is out there for sale usually = $,$$$).

I'm looking to add vents to the stock aluminum hood either to extract the under hood heat or add air NACA vents similar to that found on the GTR. I cannot find a company that can cut/roll vents instead of chop/cut/add-in vents in aluminum that is still in business. Any sources that you know of is appreciated.
Maybe I missed something, but stock Z hoods are steel sheet metal, not aluminum
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^really? G coupe hoods are aluminum though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Stock hood is definitely aluminum......very light.

Originally Posted by iStan
I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but Jet Mech was recording a big difference in oil temps between the MG Venom Hood and Stock hood. The kicker is, the MG Hood has the huge opening for us Vortech/ST guys.

So did the hood lower the temps? Your post isnt clear.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
Maybe I missed something, but stock Z hoods are steel sheet metal, not aluminum
If the stock z's hood was Steel it would be incredibly more heavy. probly close to 40 lbs. They're aluminum, thats y a cf hood doesnt weight THAT MUCH less. The reason the ice wasnt melting with your vented hood is because the air is escaping through the vents much faster then it takes to warm the hood enough to melt ice. IF aluminum could dissapate heat better then open air vents, why would we need brake vents and such? Moving air will dissapate heat much better then a heatsoaked piece of metal.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris @ Migliore
So did the hood lower the temps? Your post isnt clear.
Sorry- The CF probably had little to do with it. The big help in decreased oil and coolant temps came from the escaping air through the vents. With the design of the MG Venom hood, one of the big (damn near a square foot) vent is located right above the Vortech/ProCharger/Turbonetics ST.

I had overheating issues with my car in the summer. So I went all out on cooling mods (Radiator, Fans, Hoses, Thermostat, Oil Cooler, Tranny Cooler, PS Cooler, and MG Venom Hood). Since then, dummy coolant gauge in the car never rose passed the 3/7 mark.

However, when I popped a stock hood back so the car could be transported to LA, the people who took my car said they ran into overheating issues on the way to CA. I put another Vented CF Hood (MG AMS) on for the trip back to Vegas, and never ran into another overheating issue again.

JetMech has Temp gauges in his car, so he would be able to give a better gauge of the impacts of the CF Vented Hood.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Crom

Removing the rear plastics under the hood helps alot as well...giving the hot air somewhere to go.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM
carfi179

^Joe, did you remove yours? if so pics.

TY
Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Crom

I put them back in when it was raining....
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

its FACT ...im downloadin pics from a import tuner mag....

Quick Reply: Heat Dissipation: Stock OEM hood vs your aftermarket hood