Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Project SAA3! Game On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know when the turbo kit is being shipped, but as soon as I get it and my new motor in the same room together it will be installed. I will post up pics and our (Quadcam & I) impression of the kit during the install.

PSA... If I am the first to road race the Greddy TT learn from my mistakes and don't do it. You will tear the turbochargers up in no time. 3 or 4 track days is all it took me.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LArry,

are you gonna make me go out and road race the 'ol 4 door G (with Greddy TT) just to disprove this theory (or prove it?)

I have a hard time coming to grips with the claims that the greddys can't take the heat. Sharif's turbo failures were on rebuild/remachined/modified turbos. (not a good corelation to the sotck greddy/mitsu turbos) also, Journal bearing turbos have been in road race cars for decades! also, it seems that there is nothing wrong with the journal bearings in your turbos. from our inspection, there was no radial play in the shaft. all the play (approx 1mm - measured with a vernier caliper) was in the axial direction. that doesn't seem to be a different issue all together. also, you only had an issue in 1 turbo. the other turbo was perfect......shouldn't that one be failing too if the greddys can't take the heat?

I do think that the greddy turbine housings are too small and restrictive (more heat and rpm limitng). I have been lookign into a way to change the turbine housings on them...but have no answers yet.

on these garret's you're getting, will GTM upgrade to the TIAL stainless V-band turbine housings? that would be trick, light weight, and retain less heat!!!!.........all better for road racing!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
radiologue

Get that damn thing back together and bring it to Roebling with me!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Jason333
hi

Originally Posted by rcdash
You shouldn't have to apologize to someone that misinterprets "not posting" into "hiding", doesn't know GTM TT kits use Garrett turbos, doesn't know that ball bearing, water cooled turbos are more reliable than their oil-cooled sleeve bearing counterparts, and applies the word "sales man" in a derogatory fashion to one of the most knowledgable and helpful people on the site. How about a little respect to the sponsors that put out solid products - they keep the forums alive and give us consumers great choices in aftermarket products!

I am not a salesman, don't have any financial interest in GTM whatsoever, but I think JET made a fine choice of turbo kits for his application. Not only are the components of the highest quality, but the piping and overall design are outstanding. Shopping today for FI, I would put the GTM TT kit to the top of my list.
Don't be silly, he clearly insinuated people were hiding results (he was placed ina similar situation recently so he would know how it feels). As for derogatory (sales man comment), he clearly stated in a thread about GTM motors ( a few months back) that he handled sales there. I don't think anything was out of line, nor did anyone bad mouth any products from GTM or their quality in the kit. I wanted to know why it was implied that people were hiding Greddy results and only Garrett turbos are good at the track. No one claimed they were not a superior product in some conditions, just that no one has ever really shown definitive proof that a greddy (Mitsubishi) turbo would not hold up to track use. I don't think George needs you to take up for him...

Last edited by Jason333; 01-29-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 AM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by QuadCam
LArry,

are you gonna make me go out and road race the 'ol 4 door G (with Greddy TT) just to disprove this theory (or prove it?)

I have a hard time coming to grips with the claims that the greddys can't take the heat. Sharif's turbo failures were on rebuild/remachined/modified turbos. (not a good corelation to the sotck greddy/mitsu turbos) also, Journal bearing turbos have been in road race cars for decades! also, it seems that there is nothing wrong with the journal bearings in your turbos. from our inspection, there was no radial play in the shaft. all the play (approx 1mm - measured with a vernier caliper) was in the axial direction. that doesn't seem to be a different issue all together. also, you only had an issue in 1 turbo. the other turbo was perfect......shouldn't that one be failing too if the greddys can't take the heat?

I do think that the greddy turbine housings are too small and restrictive (more heat and rpm limitng). I have been lookign into a way to change the turbine housings on them...but have no answers yet.

on these garret's you're getting, will GTM upgrade to the TIAL stainless V-band turbine housings? that would be trick, light weight, and retain less heat!!!!.........all better for road racing!!!!
The axial play your experiencing would be the 270/360* thrust bearing behind the compressor wheel. Easy to rebuild as long as the wheels didn't hit the housing with all that play. Also has anybody considered clipping the exhaust wheels on the greddy's to increase flow capability? Yes its ghetto but it definitely works, makes them a little laggyer but moving the torque curve to the right is never a bad thing(free hp essentially..)

And I agree with you quadcam, journal bearing turbos have been getting the beat down on tracks around the world for decades with great success, yes the BB cartridges will take more thrust load/rpm and should prove to be more reliable but that isnt to say the journal bearing variant isnt up to the task.

Also as far as brands go, you cant beat the old (Mexican made HAh) Garrett, they are simply the best. No other turbo manufacturer has there financial budget or sells there volume, Borg Warner/Kkk comes in at a fairly close second and I wouldnt be scared to run or recommend there turbos, have had great success with the BW S300 series. Never run brands like Comp/Innovative/Turbonetics ect.... even if they are high $$$ brands do you really think they can compete with company's like garrett when it comes to budget and R&D....NEVER, Honeywell is king of the turbine.

Lastly I'm shocked to find out that the utec dosnt have control of air temp compensation as well as coolant temp comp! I'm not sure I read that right or really remember what I read for that matter hah, but if thats the case, thats a ticking time bomb! I really like to pull timing with air temp, and eventually flatten the air temp fuel curve to provide a bit more fuel in the higher temps.

Good luck again Jet! Hope all goes well
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GL with your 2nd engine build and hope for the best in your track career!!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackPack
Lastly I'm shocked to find out that the utec dosnt have control of air temp compensation as well as coolant temp comp! I'm not sure I read that right or really remember what I read for that matter hah, but if thats the case, thats a ticking time bomb! I really like to pull timing with air temp, and eventually flatten the air temp fuel curve to provide a bit more fuel in the higher temps.

Good luck again Jet! Hope all goes well
no, you can adjust fuel and timing in the UTEC due to air temp changes. It just has a non-linear adjustment that covers temps in 10 degree celcius increments. so, you have about 7 settings to set for the air temps adjustments. It is certainly not perfect, but it does work.
I don't think most tuners use this feature. I use on the cars I have played with. You have to set it after you are finished with your tweaking.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 AM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I don't have money or magic fairy dust to make a Haltech magically appear. UTEC FTW!

Too bad I didn't know sooner.. I let mine go really cheap. Haltech
Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 AM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by QuadCam
no, you can adjust fuel and timing in the UTEC due to air temp changes. It just has a non-linear adjustment that covers temps in 10 degree celcius increments. so, you have about 7 settings to set for the air temps adjustments. It is certainly not perfect, but it does work.
I don't think most tuners use this feature. I use on the cars I have played with. You have to set it after you are finished with your tweaking.

As long as it inter populates between cells I guess I dont see a problem with that, even tho the resolution is quite large, it should work fine.

Had me scared there for a second hah! Knowing this actually gives me a teeenie bit more respect for the utec.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:15 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice to see you are sticking around. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
JETPILOT

I got my CP pistons today! Damn they're shiny and sexy!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

CPs are damn fine. used them many a times... going to be using them again
Old 02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
thom000001

almost a shame to see those puppy's hidded away in the block
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
thawk408

Just make sure when you put in the CP pistons the oil squirters line up with the cuts in the piston. And one banks pistons will be reversed from the other side (cant remember which). I believe the Arias is cut so it doesn't matter which way they go in, thats why I brought it up. Dont want any broken squirters!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

nICE
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
radiologue

I know you are excited.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by thawk408
Just make sure when you put in the CP pistons the oil squirters line up with the cuts in the piston. And one banks pistons will be reversed from the other side (cant remember which). I believe the Arias is cut so it doesn't matter which way they go in, thats why I brought it up. Dont want any broken squirters!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let my machinist know.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by radiologue
I know you are excited.
It's hard to get excited anymore. Lots of anxiety actually.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
It's hard to get excited anymore. Lots of anxiety actually.

Quick Reply: Project SAA3! Game On!!!